PDA

View Full Version : where's hoover?

Stealth Pilot[_3_]
August 27th 09, 01:57 PM
hasnt posted to his blog in 3 weeks.
hasnt posted here in living memory.

what's up with him?

August 29th 09, 08:51 PM
On Aug 27, 6:57*am, Stealth Pilot > wrote:
> hasnt posted to his blog in 3 weeks.
> hasnt posted here in living memory.
>
> what's up with him?

Last Tuesday he was making salad with smoked Salmon.

If he is on the mend as well as his posts seemed to indicate
(hopefully) he is probably attending to more pressing matters than
entertaining those of us that should really be out in the shop
working.........................

At least that is what I had to do last time I escaped from the
surgeons clutches, an' it takes a lot longer to get caught up than you
expect.
====================
Leon McAtee

Veeduber[_3_]
September 1st 09, 05:46 AM
Dear Stealth, et al

Your interest is warmly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Multiple Myeloma is treatable form of cancer. Based on periodic
tests of blood and other juices, which the physicians use to adjust my
medication, my treatment has reached the point where I may view the
cancer as a chronic ailment. There is no cure but so long as I
continue with the treatment regime they've laid out, they tell me I
may view the cancer as a chronic ailment, and to get on with my life
as I would after recovering from any other illness. The fact this
particular 'illness' came close to killing me is not mentioned;
recommendations for my recovery are, such as...

After losing nearly a hundred pounds, my weight loss has finally
stopped, leaving me with very little muscle and virtually no fat at
all. Now I must task that remaining muscle with a modest amount of
weight-training but in so far as possible -- in so far as my remaining
strength will allow -- I may get on with my usual work, which is a
bit of a joke in that I usually lifted, carried and positioned engines
and components weighing as much as 200 pounds.

The main tumor site was in my Fifth Lumbar Vertebrae. I say 'main'
because as the name implies, Multiple Myeloma is characterized by
having a multiple number of tumor sites. The main site was dealt with
using radiation but the distributed sites can only be dealt with
chemically -- through the use of medications designed to seek out and
bind to, the tumor cells capable of reproduction. Frequent tests of my
blood and urine tell us if the current mix of chemicals is doing the
job. Should that not be the case the physicians have a number of
other 'search & destroy' chemical they can use.

X-rays of my spine always get a second look because the fifth lumbar
vertebrae simply isn't there, save for a couple of splinters.
Medically, it's something of a marvel; always of interest to a
physician new to my case. But in realistic terms, the lack of any of
your lumbar vertebrae means it is virtually impossible to LIFT
anything weighing more than a tall can of Fosters.

So while the physicians are saying 'Gee Whiz' and 'Lookit that' as
they peer at the latest Exam-O-Gram of my spine, I've been devising
all sorts of Heath Robinson devices which allow me to lift an engine
to work-bench height, to move it onto the work-bench and take it apart
or put it together. I wouldn't be able to do any of these things
without the help of different space-age girdles designed to serve as a
kind of exo-skeleton.

I know there are several homebuilders following my work on the
Internet, so that as I complete a particular procedure I try to
explain what I've done and post that explanation here and to the FlyVW
Group and to the Chuggers Group on Yahoo. Since most of the serious
builders have my current email address ( ) I
usually don't bother to read those Groups, using them only for the
dissemination of information. Indeed, if YOU will read the
Homebuilders group I think you will agree that it has very little to
do with homebuilding nowadays. But it does make a handy distribution
point since it SOUNDS so specific :-)

So I'll be getting back to figuring how to lift a crankshaft using a
bit of twine and a cordless drill. Actually, it's rather interesting,
so long as you remember to wear your steel-toed boots :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Stealth Pilot[_3_]
September 1st 09, 10:56 AM
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:46:05 -0700 (PDT), Veeduber
> wrote:

>Dear Stealth, et al
>
>Your interest is warmly appreciated. Thank you very much.
>
>Multiple Myeloma is treatable form of cancer. Based on periodic
>tests of blood and other juices, which the physicians use to adjust my
>medication, my treatment has reached the point where I may view the
>cancer as a chronic ailment.

the guys locally tell me that what doesnt grind you down polishes you
up. how bloody polished does one need to be?

in medical terms there is acute and chronic. acute is short duration
and chronic is long term duration.

regarding moving engines. that should be easy to sort out. in the
hospitals nowadays immobile patients (interesting latin word, pati
sick, ent a suffix meaning someone who is...) are moved by electric
cranes. really the only difference between an engine and a patient is
that the engines dont need to go to the toilet. they are about the
same weight. of course they only work well on smooth floors.
you should be able to brew up an engine lift that will keep you
active. (hint ask your concerned machinist friends for some help dont
try to do it yourself)

my interest in your health is a selfish one I must admit. I actually
enjoy homebuilding, just homebuilding of aircraft, not any of the
bull**** politics that the talking brigade get up to. you are one of
the few guys truely interested in do it yourself homebuilding.
I enjoy your company and I've learnt a lot regarding VW engines.

btw my Druine Turbulent is coming along nicely. I gave away the
fuselage that I couldnt fit into. It will eventually fly I'm sure.
the current one in alaskan yellow cedar and hoop pine ply will have
the seatback 2 or 3 inches further back and that should have it
sorted.
you know that if it wasnt for rec.aviation.homebuilt I dont think I'd
have even looked at the turbulent. years ago the guys were complaining
that it took too much effort to build. what is one mans complaint is
another's interest. the turbulent keeps you occupied for next to no
cost. the fact that they are really sweet to fly is an added bonus.

(you drink fosters? there's a lot better beers than fosters)

Stealth Pilot

Morgans[_7_]
September 1st 09, 09:44 PM
"Veeduber" > wrote

> But using my Makita to power a crankshaft winch may be of some
> interest.
I can only imagine that your "Rube Goldberg-ability" will come up with all
kinds of "unique" work-arounds to any problem you face.

I have several old battery powered drills without the battery and charger,
if you are interested in them for powering devices. Let me know, and I'll
throw them in a box and send them your way.
--
Jim in NC

Google