PDA

View Full Version : 10 Seconds to Launch

Glen in Orlando
August 29th 09, 05:51 PM
Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
Beautiful launch last night...

Glen in Orlando

Philippe Boite
August 29th 09, 05:58 PM
Glen in Orlando a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
> Beautiful launch last night...
>
> Glen in Orlando

Nice effect, Glen.
Do you have other pictures ?

--
Philippe Boite
http://philippe.boite.free.fr

Glen in Orlando
August 29th 09, 06:07 PM
I sure did try Philippe, but I completely blew it.
I set the camera for a long exposure.... DOH! I forgot how darn bright it
was during liftoff...
the resulting image is one big frame of pure white!! But it is beautifully
exposed pure white!!! Grin

Glen in Orlando

"Philippe Boite" > wrote in message
> Glen in Orlando a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando
>>

> Nice effect, Glen.
> Do you have other pictures ?
>
> --
> Philippe Boite
> http://philippe.boite.free.fr

1D10T
August 29th 09, 06:29 PM
> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
> Beautiful launch last night...

I'm really surprised to see the lightning.

Robert Spanjaard
August 29th 09, 06:50 PM
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:29:27 -0500, 1D10T wrote:

>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>
> I'm really surprised to see the lightning.

So am I. The live coverage on NASA TV was nothing but clear sky, but it's
hard to see where Glen was located (and so, in which direction he was
looking). "Across the River" doesn't make much sense to me when I look at
the map.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

1D10T
August 29th 09, 07:31 PM
"Robert Spanjaard" > wrote in message
el.net...

>> I'm really surprised to see the lightning.
>
> So am I. The live coverage on NASA TV was nothing but clear sky, but it's
> hard to see where Glen was located (and so, in which direction he was
> looking). "Across the River" doesn't make much sense to me when I look at
> the map.

I'm not surprised because you saw a clear sky, but because of NASA's
wariness of lightning.

Dave Doubleyew
August 29th 09, 07:56 PM
"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
> Beautiful launch last night...
>
> Glen in Orlando

Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)

Dave

Dave Doubleyew
August 29th 09, 07:59 PM
Well, there's always nextime, Glen; some we win and a lot we lose... Now
that's the story of my life... Oh yes, I am talking about photo
oportunities... >:))

So don't be disappointed, better luck next time! :-)

Dave

"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I sure did try Philippe, but I completely blew it.
> I set the camera for a long exposure.... DOH! I forgot how darn bright it
> was during liftoff...
> the resulting image is one big frame of pure white!! But it is
> beautifully exposed pure white!!! Grin
>
> Glen in Orlando
>

> "Philippe Boite" > wrote in message
>> Glen in Orlando a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
>>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>>
>>> Glen in Orlando
>>>

>> Nice effect, Glen.
>> Do you have other pictures ?
>>
>> --
>> Philippe Boite
>> http://philippe.boite.free.fr

Robert Spanjaard
August 29th 09, 08:05 PM
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:31:03 -0500, 1D10T wrote:

>>> I'm really surprised to see the lightning.
>>
>> So am I. The live coverage on NASA TV was nothing but clear sky, but
>> it's hard to see where Glen was located (and so, in which direction he
>> was looking). "Across the River" doesn't make much sense to me when I
>> look at the map.
>
> I'm not surprised because you saw a clear sky, but because of NASA's
> wariness of lightning.

Which is probably why they waited for a clear sky. :-)

IIRC, the commentator said the nearest weather system was 20 miles away.
But it was 6AM here, so I was up really late. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Dave Kearton[_3_]
August 29th 09, 10:41 PM
"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I sure did try Philippe, but I completely blew it.
> I set the camera for a long exposure.... DOH! I forgot how darn bright it
> was during liftoff...
> the resulting image is one big frame of pure white!! But it is
> beautifully exposed pure white!!! Grin
>
> Glen in Orlando

I'm guessing that it would have looked like this ...

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html

This is from NASA's image of the day site, of the same launch.

Another item on the list of things to do, just after the lotto win (just
before Angelina...)

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Yves
August 29th 09, 11:10 PM
Superb picture, Glen! With many differents light spots...

Maroochy
August 30th 09, 04:18 AM
Glen in Orlando wrote:
> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
> Beautiful launch last night...
>
> Glen in Orlando

Wonderful!

Bob (not my real pseudonym)
August 30th 09, 10:12 AM
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:56:02 +0100, "Dave Doubleyew"
<waifs&strays.com> wrote:

>"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando
>
>Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>
>Dave

That it is! Byootyfull!

Bob ^,,^

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 01:06 PM
I was about 7 miles west of the Pad looking due east. Big Storms out over
the Atlantic... but they must have been far enough away to meet launch
criteria...
pretty neat night.
Glen in Orlando

"Robert Spanjaard" > wrote in message
el.net...
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:29:27 -0500, 1D10T wrote:
>
>>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> I'm really surprised to see the lightning.
>
> So am I. The live coverage on NASA TV was nothing but clear sky, but it's
> hard to see where Glen was located (and so, in which direction he was
> looking). "Across the River" doesn't make much sense to me when I look at
> the map.
>
> --
> Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 01:07 PM
Thanks Dave....
unfortunately the only one that came out... bummer.. grin

"Dave Doubleyew" <waifs&strays.com> wrote in message

> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando
>
> Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>
> Dave

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 01:07 PM
Thanks Dave....
unfortunately the only one that came out... bummer.. grin

"Dave Doubleyew" <waifs&strays.com> wrote in message

> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando
>
> Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>
> Dave

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 01:07 PM
Thanks Yves...

"Yves" > wrote in message
> Superb picture, Glen! With many differents light spots...

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 01:07 PM
Thankyou very much!!
Now if I can figure out how to do this consecutively!! grin

"Maroochy" <BarbaraH*REMOVE > wrote in message
> Glen in Orlando wrote:
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando
>
> Wonderful!

The Nottles
August 30th 09, 02:27 PM
Lovely Glen, but I am surprised to see lightning so near..
Betty

"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
> Beautiful launch last night...
>
> Glen in Orlando

Dave Doubleyew
August 30th 09, 03:54 PM
"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:56:02 +0100, "Dave Doubleyew"
> <waifs&strays.com> wrote:
>

>>"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
>>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>>
>>> Glen in Orlando
>>
>>Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>>
>>Dave
>
> That it is! Byootyfull!
>
> Bob ^,,^

'Tis that an' by the way6, Old Girl, you've left out an "o" in your Siggy!

Dave

Dave Doubleyew
August 30th 09, 08:45 PM
Never mind, Glen, you have one excellent frame that I believe any of us
would be envious.

I know one seventy-something little boy at heart who love to have that as a
big picture hanging on his den wall! :-))

Dave

"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
> Thanks Dave....
> unfortunately the only one that came out... bummer.. grin
>

> "Dave Doubleyew" <waifs&strays.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>>
>>> Glen in Orlando
>>
>> Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>>
>> Dave

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 09:50 PM
Hi Betty..
I think that storm was at least 30+ miles east of the launch pad... big
storm.. far away..

Glen in Orlando

"The Nottles" > wrote in message
> Lovely Glen, but I am surprised to see lightning so near..
> Betty
>>

> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>
>> Glen in Orlando

Boogerhead
August 30th 09, 10:10 PM
>I was about 7 miles west of the Pad looking due east. Big Storms out over
>the Atlantic... but they must have been far enough away to meet launch
>criteria...
>pretty neat night.
>Glen in Orlando

Very cool shot!

I'm surprised that they launched with that lightning, even if it was
far away. Lightning can easily travel 30+ miles horizontally,
especially it if comes off the top of the cloud.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

BH

Robert Spanjaard
August 30th 09, 10:57 PM
On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:45:50 +0100, Dave Doubleyew wrote:

> Never mind, Glen, you have one excellent frame that I believe any of us
> would be envious.

I am, but I'd still be envious if he didn't have a single frame. Live
coverage on the internet is nice, and the view you get is probably even
better that way, but the experience of the real thing is priceless. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Glen in Orlando
August 30th 09, 11:20 PM
Robert...
I've seen more launches in person than I can remember. I witnessed the very
first one too. Back then
we could actually drive onto the facility, find a place along the side of
the road, and camp out overnight
waiting for an early morning launch. I went with my fraternity once (my
college was less then 30 miles or so away,
and we did just that. Woke up in the morning, around dawn, to find that an
alligator was less then 30 feet away just
watching us from the Canal. An entire fraternity on the hood of a few cars
in a matter of seconds.... grin.

Folks, if you think you can get down here to witness one, it is awe
inspiring. A couple of seconds after launch, the sound from the
Rocket rolls across the river and grows in intensity... if the breeze is
blowing westward the sound is amplified that much more.
I've taken my kids to about 10-15 in their young lives. Priceless.

Glen in Orlando

"Robert Spanjaard" > wrote in message
bel.net...
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:45:50 +0100, Dave Doubleyew wrote:
>
>> Never mind, Glen, you have one excellent frame that I believe any of us
>> would be envious.
>
> I am, but I'd still be envious if he didn't have a single frame. Live
> coverage on the internet is nice, and the view you get is probably even
> better that way, but the experience of the real thing is priceless. :-)
>
> --
> Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Dave Doubleyew
October 31st 09, 11:30 PM
:-)

That's one of the few I've kept in my Collection of other's work, Glen. That
must have been a few weeks ago at least since you posted it.

Dave

"Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
g.com...
> Thanks Dave....
> unfortunately the only one that came out... bummer.. grin
>

> "Dave Doubleyew" <waifs&strays.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Glen in Orlando" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>> Taken from across the River from the Kennedy Space Center.....
>>> Beautiful launch last night...
>>>
>>> Glen in Orlando
>>
>> Glen, that is a great photograph you have taken! :-)
>>
>> Dave

Glen in Orlando
November 1st 09, 02:07 PM
thankyou sir!