PDA

View Full Version : SeeYou team code

brianDG303[_2_]
September 1st 09, 09:56 PM
Flying this weekend in a new area it was difficult to keep track of
where each other was, thought about using the team location feature in
SYM. I've copied the details on how it works below. Has anyone tried
this feature and how did it work?

Brian

6.17 Team
The Team feature in SeeYou Mobile will help you find or hide your
teammate. It lets you share your
position with other pilots and even encrypt this information so that
your competitors won't be able to
decode it.
To use it:
.. Enable the "Team Position Code (Team)" Navbox in Menu > Next >
Navboxes . Or use Menu >
Next > Team from the main menu.
.. Go to the map view and tap on the Team navbox.
.. Team dialog opens. You need to press Setup before first use.
.. Press Select to select a source waypoint for the calculation. It is
imperative that your teammate does
the same.
.. If you would like to hide the information from others, enter the
Encryption key. Again, both or all
pilots have to share the same key.
Go fly. When asked about your position, answer "One-Kilo-Bravo-
Yankee". Your teammate will tap the
Team navbox, enter the code and say "Thanks" while others won't have a
clue unless they have the
key :)

JS
September 3rd 09, 05:59 PM
For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
the way to go:
Forget about this useful tool.
Jim

jcarlyle
September 3rd 09, 07:07 PM
Yep! It's for sure fault the fault of the stubborn Yanks. Nothing
whatsoever to do with Air Regulations or the fact that Flarm
prohibited their unit from being sold in the USA. Just a simple case
of a bunch of hard heads...

-John

On Sep 3, 12:59 pm, JS > wrote:
> For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
> having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
> the way to go:
> Forget about this useful tool.
> Jim

Eric Greenwell
September 3rd 09, 09:44 PM
JS wrote:
> For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
> having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
> the way to go:
> Forget about this useful tool.
> Jim

The SeeYou Team code does something FLARM can not do: show you were your
friends are, using your map display, as far as your radio can reach.
Flarm is limited to 2 - 3km.

For another way to show your friends on a map, look at the Garmin Rino
series of two way radio with GPS ($250-$500): push a button, and your
position is indicated on their GPS. It also works over a far greater
distance than FLARM, and allows private communication off the busy 123.3
and .5 frequencies. Distance to 10 miles or more.

And finally, take a look at the Garmin Astro Dog tracker. I don't know
if anyone has used these in a glider, but it looks like it might work,
and it does it's job automatically - no pilot workload. $600 for the
display and one collar, works with up to 10 collars. Buy a unit and give
the collar to your friend, so you know where he is; he does the same for
you. It also works over 7+ mile range on the ground on a dog, certainly
farther in the air, again a greater distance than FLARM.

No, the collar doesn't have a shock device built into it, but that might
be a useful feature for clubs that have problems getting members to
bring the glider back when their time is up!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Dave Nadler
September 3rd 09, 11:44 PM
On Sep 3, 4:44*pm, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
> JS wrote:
> > For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
> > having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
> > the way to go:
> > Forget about this useful tool.
> > Jim
>
> The SeeYou Team code does something FLARM can not do: show you were your
> friends are, using your map display, as far as your radio can reach.
> Flarm is limited to 2 - 3km.
>
> For another way to show your friends on a map, look at the Garmin Rino
> series of two way radio with GPS ($250-$500): push a button, and your
> position is indicated on their GPS. It also works over a far greater
> distance than FLARM, and allows private communication off the busy 123.3
> and .5 frequencies. Distance to 10 miles or more.
>
> And finally, take a look at the Garmin Astro Dog tracker. I don't know
> if anyone has used these in a glider, but it looks like it might work,
> and it does it's job automatically - no pilot workload. $600 for the
> display and one collar, works with up to 10 collars. Buy a unit and give
> the collar to your friend, so you know where he is; he does the same for
> you. It also works over 7+ mile range on the ground on a dog, certainly
> farther in the air, again a greater distance than FLARM.
>
> No, the collar doesn't have a shock device built into it, but that might
> be a useful feature for clubs that have problems getting members to
> bring the glider back when their time is up!
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
> * Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> * "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
> * * * Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more
>
> * "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Eric ! Are you insinuating that your plane is - a dog ??

Brad[_2_]
September 4th 09, 01:51 AM
On Sep 3, 1:44*pm, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
> JS wrote:
> > For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
> > having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
> > the way to go:
> > Forget about this useful tool.
> > Jim
>
> The SeeYou Team code does something FLARM can not do: show you were your
> friends are, using your map display, as far as your radio can reach.
> Flarm is limited to 2 - 3km.
>
> For another way to show your friends on a map, look at the Garmin Rino
> series of two way radio with GPS ($250-$500): push a button, and your
> position is indicated on their GPS. It also works over a far greater
> distance than FLARM, and allows private communication off the busy 123.3
> and .5 frequencies. Distance to 10 miles or more.
>
> And finally, take a look at the Garmin Astro Dog tracker. I don't know
> if anyone has used these in a glider, but it looks like it might work,
> and it does it's job automatically - no pilot workload. $600 for the
> display and one collar, works with up to 10 collars. Buy a unit and give
> the collar to your friend, so you know where he is; he does the same for
> you. It also works over 7+ mile range on the ground on a dog, certainly
> farther in the air, again a greater distance than FLARM.
>
> No, the collar doesn't have a shock device built into it, but that might
> be a useful feature for clubs that have problems getting members to
> bring the glider back when their time is up!
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
> * Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> * "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
> * * * Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more
>
> * "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

I wouldn't mind the option of installing shock collars on my
competition and then giving then a friendly little jolt now and
again...............as the owner of a Dog Boarding business we are
quite adept at using these ingenious devices!

now, back on topic.................would SYM and XC Soar share
compatible Team Code functionality?

If not.............since XC Soar is free and quite powerful, maybe a
migration to XS-Soar for safety reasons might happen..............or
better yet, perhaps the developers of the 2 programs could allow the 2
to talk to each other, and to the other flight software programs for
that matter.

Brad

Darryl Ramm
September 4th 09, 03:22 AM
On Sep 3, 3:44*pm, Dave Nadler > wrote:
> On Sep 3, 4:44*pm, Eric Greenwell > wrote:
>

> > JS wrote:
> > > For those in the USA who believe that FLARM is a pile of rubbish and
> > > having expensive, not yet available and and power-hungry technology is
> > > the way to go:
> > > Forget about this useful tool.
> > > Jim
>
> > The SeeYou Team code does something FLARM can not do: show you were your
> > friends are, using your map display, as far as your radio can reach.
> > Flarm is limited to 2 - 3km.
>
> > For another way to show your friends on a map, look at the Garmin Rino
> > series of two way radio with GPS ($250-$500): push a button, and your
> > position is indicated on their GPS. It also works over a far greater
> > distance than FLARM, and allows private communication off the busy 123.3
> > and .5 frequencies. Distance to 10 miles or more.
>
> > And finally, take a look at the Garmin Astro Dog tracker. I don't know
> > if anyone has used these in a glider, but it looks like it might work,
> > and it does it's job automatically - no pilot workload. $600 for the
> > display and one collar, works with up to 10 collars. Buy a unit and give
> > the collar to your friend, so you know where he is; he does the same for
> > you. It also works over 7+ mile range on the ground on a dog, certainly
> > farther in the air, again a greater distance than FLARM.
>
> > No, the collar doesn't have a shock device built into it, but that might
> > be a useful feature for clubs that have problems getting members to
> > bring the glider back when their time is up!
>
> > --
> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
> > * Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> > * "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
> > * * * Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more
>
> > * "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org
>
> Eric ! Are you insinuating that your plane is - a dog ??

No just you have to add the zap the pilot gadget to an ASH-26E. It is
not like those 'lectric motorgliders that come pre-wired to do
that :-)

Ah alright I'm just jealous.

Darryl

Eric Greenwell
September 4th 09, 05:53 AM
Dave Nadler wrote:

>> And finally, take a look at the Garmin Astro Dog tracker. I don't know
>> if anyone has used these in a glider, but it looks like it might work,
>> and it does it's job automatically - no pilot workload. $600 for the
>> display and one collar, works with up to 10 collars. Buy a unit and give
>> the collar to your friend, so you know where he is; he does the same for
>> you. It also works over 7+ mile range on the ground on a dog, certainly
>> farther in the air, again a greater distance than FLARM.
>>
>> No, the collar doesn't have a shock device built into it, but that might
>> be a useful feature for clubs that have problems getting members to
>> bring the glider back when their time is up!

> Eric ! Are you insinuating that your plane is - a dog ??

No, no: *I* have the display! My friends' gliders have the collars so I
know where they are.

Incidentally, the collar can tell "whether he’s [the dog] running,
sitting, on point or treeing quarry. Astro can also sound an alarm to
let you know instantly when your dog goes on point." I'm certain that a
collar, properly mounted on the glider, will indicate "on point" when
the pilot is thermalling.

Now, Dave, imagine how useful one of these would be if it were mounted
on a friend's glider, a friend flying in the same competition you are,
especially if you didn't mention it to him, right?

But the dog tracking idea has some merit: if they can do it for dogs,
perhaps the same technology would be allowed for airborne use.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

J A
September 4th 09, 02:15 PM
Can anyone answer the original question? Has anyone tried
this feature and how did it work? I was actually curious...
And how does it actually work, as in how does it communicate from one
device to the other. People have alluded to it transmitting over the
radio, do both gliders also need to be on the same radio freq.? etc. etc.

thanks,
Jim

At 20:56 01 September 2009, brianDG303 wrote:
>Flying this weekend in a new area it was difficult to keep track of
>where each other was, thought about using the team location feature in
>SYM. I've copied the details on how it works below. Has anyone tried
>this feature and how did it work?
>
>Brian
>

>6.17 Team
>The Team feature in SeeYou Mobile will help you find or hide your
>teammate. It lets you share your
>position with other pilots and even encrypt this information so that
>your competitors won't be able to
>decode it.
>To use it:
>.. Enable the "Team Position Code (Team)" Navbox in Menu > Next >
>Navboxes . Or use Menu >
>Next > Team from the main menu.
>.. Go to the map view and tap on the Team navbox.
>.. Team dialog opens. You need to press Setup before first use.
>.. Press Select to select a source waypoint for the calculation. It is
>imperative that your teammate does
>the same.
>.. If you would like to hide the information from others, enter the
>Encryption key. Again, both or all
>pilots have to share the same key.
>Go fly. When asked about your position, answer "One-Kilo-Bravo-
>Yankee". Your teammate will tap the
>Team navbox, enter the code and say "Thanks" while others won't have
>clue unless they have the
>key :)

brianDG303[_2_]
September 4th 09, 02:50 PM
On Sep 4, 6:15*am, J A > wrote:
> Can anyone answer the original question? *Has anyone tried
> this feature and how did it work? *I was actually curious...
> And how does it actually work, as in how does it communicate from one
> device to the other. *People have alluded to it transmitting over the
> radio, do both gliders also need to be on the same radio freq.? etc. etc.
>
> thanks,
> Jim
>
> At 20:56 01 September 2009, brianDG303 wrote:
>
> >Flying this weekend in a new area it was difficult to keep track of
> >where each other was, thought about using the team location feature in
> >SYM. I've copied the details on how it works below. Has anyone tried
> >this feature and how did it work?
>
> >Brian
>
> >6.17 * *Team
> >The Team feature in SeeYou Mobile will help you find or hide your
> >teammate. It lets you share your
> >position with other pilots and even encrypt this information so that
> >your competitors won't be able to
> >decode it.
> >To use it:
> >.. Enable the "Team Position Code (Team)" Navbox in Menu > Next >
> >Navboxes * * . Or use Menu >
> >Next > Team from the main menu.
> >.. Go to the map view and tap on the Team navbox.
> >.. Team dialog opens. You need to press Setup before first use.
> >.. Press Select to select a source waypoint for the calculation. It is
> >imperative that your teammate does
> >the same.
> >.. If you would like to hide the information from others, enter the
> >Encryption key. Again, both or all
> >pilots have to share the same key.
> >Go fly. When asked about your position, answer "One-Kilo-Bravo-
> >Yankee". Your teammate will tap the
> >Team navbox, enter the code and say "Thanks" while others won't have
> >clue unless they have the
> >key :)

I started this thread and don't entirely understand the feature yet,
I'll try it this weekend. But one thing I do understand is that this
is not a dynamic feature (it does not update the position) and it is
not device to device. It just gives you a 4 or 5 letter code, which
you transmit by radio to other pilots. They enter the code into
SeeYou, (or winpilot or xcsoar, I understand they all have this
feature) and your location is displayed, I think as a waypoint. After
entering the code you have an option to press a GOTO button which in
my setup would display distance and bearing to a glider pilot who had
just sent me his/her code. It would continue to display that
information long after the other glider had moved on.

So,if the other pilot sent you their code while in a strong thermal
you would have a waypoint set to that thermal and know where they were
at that moment.

I understand that you both need to be on the same software, it seems
that they use different ways to generate the code. But I am still
figuring this out.

Brian

Peter Wyld[_2_]
September 4th 09, 04:45 PM
At 13:50 04 September 2009, brianDG303 wrote:
> [...]
>not device to device. It just gives you a 4 or 5 letter code, which
>you transmit by radio to other pilots. They enter the code into
>SeeYou, (or winpilot or xcsoar, I understand they all have this
>feature) and your location is displayed, I think as a waypoint. After
>entering the code you have an option to press a GOTO button which in
>my setup would display distance and bearing to a glider pilot who had
>just sent me his/her code. It would continue to display that
>information long after the other glider had moved on.
>
>So,if the other pilot sent you their code while in a strong thermal
>you would have a waypoint set to that thermal and know where they were
>at that moment.
>
>I understand that you both need to be on the same software, it seems
>that they use different ways to generate the code. But I am still

With SeeYou Mobile, each of the team set [the same] turnpoint (or random
lat/long) (Menu > Next > Team > Setup ) . Use 'NavBoxes' to display an
extra box on the screen containing a coded pseudo tp reference.
Give this code (your current location, referenced from the tp you used) to
the person trying to find you and they can then navigate to the position of
the pseudo tp, if they have also setup their Team tp identically.
You can confuse the opposition some more by adding a codeword (when
setting up the tp in each of your SYMs).

Dan[_4_]
September 4th 09, 09:16 PM
On Sep 4, 11:45*am, Peter Wyld > wrote:
> At 13:50 04 September 2009, brianDG303 wrote:
>

> >On Sep 4, 6:15=A0am, J A *wrote:
> >> Can anyone answer the original question? =A0Has anyone tried
> >> this feature and how did it work? =A0I was actually curious...
> >> And how does it actually work, as in how does it communicate from one
> >> device to the other. =A0People have alluded to it transmitting over
> the
> >> radio, do both gliders also need to be on the same radio freq.? etc.
> >etc.
>
> >> thanks,
> >> Jim

> in

> is
> have
>
> >I started this thread and don't entirely understand the feature yet,
> >I'll try it this weekend. But one thing I do understand is that this
> >is not a dynamic feature (it does not update the position) and it is
> >not device to device. It just gives you a 4 or 5 letter code, which
> >you transmit by radio to other pilots. They enter the code into
> >SeeYou, (or winpilot or xcsoar, I understand they all have this
> >feature) and your location is displayed, I think as a waypoint. After
> >entering the code you have an option to press a GOTO button which in
> >my setup would display distance and bearing to a glider pilot who had
> >just sent me his/her code. It would continue to display that
> >information long after the other glider had moved on.
>
> >So,if *the other pilot sent you their code while in a strong thermal
> >you would have a waypoint set to that thermal and know where they were
> >at that moment.
>
> >I understand that you both need to be on the same software, it seems
> >that they use different ways to generate the code. But I am still
> >figuring this out.
>
> >Brian
>
> With SeeYou Mobile, each of the team set [the same] turnpoint (or random
> lat/long) (Menu > Next *> Team > Setup ) . *Use 'NavBoxes' to display an
> extra box on the screen containing a coded pseudo tp reference.
> Give this code (your current location, referenced from the tp you used) to
> the person trying to find you and they can then navigate to the position of
> the pseudo tp, if they have also setup their Team tp identically.
> You can confuse the opposition some more by adding a codeword (when
> setting up the tp in each of your SYMs).- Hide quoted text -

I believe this feature displays positions from a feed from a FLARM
collision avoidance device not available in North America. No FLARM,
no data, no picture of your team-mates.

DD

Peter Wyld[_2_]
September 4th 09, 11:00 PM
At 20:16 04 September 2009, Dan wrote:
>On Sep 4, 11:45=A0am, Peter Wyld wrote:

>> the
etc.
>> >etc.

>> in

It
>> is
>> have
>>
>> >I started this thread and don't entirely understand the feature yet,
>> >I'll try it this weekend. But one thing I do understand is that this
>> >is not a dynamic feature (it does not update the position) and it is
>> >not device to device. It just gives you a 4 or 5 letter code, which
>> >you transmit by radio to other pilots. They enter the code into
>> >SeeYou, (or winpilot or xcsoar, I understand they all have this
>> >feature) and your location is displayed, I think as a waypoint. After
>> >entering the code you have an option to press a GOTO button which in
>> >my setup would display distance and bearing to a glider pilot who had
>> >just sent me his/her code. It would continue to display that
>> >information long after the other glider had moved on.
>>
>> >So,if =A0the other pilot sent you their code while in a strong
thermal
>> >you would have a waypoint set to that thermal and know where they
were
>> >at that moment.
>>
>> >I understand that you both need to be on the same software, it seems
>> >that they use different ways to generate the code. But I am still
>> >figuring this out.
>>
>> >Brian
>>
>> With SeeYou Mobile, each of the team set [the same] turnpoint (or
random
>> lat/long) (Menu > Next =A0> Team > Setup ) . =A0Use 'NavBoxes' to
>display=
> an
>> extra box on the screen containing a coded pseudo tp reference.
>> Give this code (your current location, referenced from the tp you
used)
>t=
>> the person trying to find you and they can then navigate to the
position
>=
>of
>> the pseudo tp, if they have also setup their Team tp identically.
>> You can confuse the opposition some more by adding a codeword (when
>> setting up the tp in each of your SYMs).- Hide quoted text -

>I believe this feature displays positions from a feed from a FLARM
>collision avoidance device not available in North America. No FLARM,
>no data, no picture of your team-mates.
>
>DD

The 'Team' feature does not need Flarm. It is purely a manual system
(to enter the pseudo tp).

Flarm however does identify each unit within the (Flarm) NMEA Datastream
and this can be used by See You Mobile to show friends and others, (see
page 25/26 of the SYM manual).

Since you chaps on the west side of the pond don't have Flarm, it won't
be of help to you, but the 'Team' feature doesn't need Flarm so will
work for you. It doesn't show other gliders, but allows you to navigate
to where your team mate is (or rather was!) when they pass their encoded
location to you.

bumper[_2_]
September 5th 09, 02:52 PM
For team flying, a number of US pilots have used Garmin RINO. Back
when they allowed position data to only be transmitted on the lower
power FRS band, air-to-air range was about 10 Nm. Then a few years
back, the FCC allowed use on the GMRS channels and airborne range
increased to 20 - 23 miles *if* the RINO is mounted so it's antenna is
above the canopy rail.

Yeah, it's one more gadget to add, but it's easy to use displays the
other glider/s bearing, distance, and altitude. It also allows a spot
(thermal) to be marked and that info transmitted to team members.
Polling may be individually enabled too, and that allows you to
request and receive position info from other "team" gliders without
their having to push their send button.

bumper
MKIV and QV
zz

brianDG303[_2_]
September 8th 09, 03:19 PM
On Sep 5, 6:52*am, bumper > wrote:
> For team flying, a number of US pilots have used Garmin RINO. Back
> when they allowed position data to only be transmitted on the lower
> power FRS band, air-to-air range was about 10 Nm. Then a few years
> back, the FCC allowed use on the GMRS channels and airborne range
> increased to 20 - 23 miles *if* the RINO is mounted so it's antenna is
> above the canopy rail.
>
> Yeah, it's one more gadget to add, but it's easy to use displays the
> other glider/s bearing, distance, and altitude. It also allows a spot
> (thermal) to be marked and that info transmitted to team members.
> Polling may be individually enabled too, and that allows you to
> request and receive position info from other "team" gliders without
> their having to push their send button.
>
> bumper
> MKIV and QV
> zz

Not only does the Team Code work very well in SYM it also generates
the same format as XCsoar, so this weekend another pilot and I were
able to locate each other by using the feature in those two programs.
FLARM is not required. As has been pointed out, this is not a tracking
device, the other pilot tells you the location code over the radio and
you type it in which results in a waypoint being added to your screen
with distance and bearing if that is how you have your softwar st up-
in SYM it becomes the Target and shares those atributes.

Brian

Google