PDA

View Full Version : Loosing my newsgroup feed

Anthony W
September 2nd 09, 02:15 AM
I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
recommend to replace this group?

I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
member of? I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
and techniques from the aircraft builders. Who knows maybe someday I'll
get to build something that flies.

Tony

Morgans[_7_]
September 2nd 09, 02:31 AM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
> their news server.
>
> I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you recommend
> to replace this group?
>
> I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
> member of? I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools and
> techniques from the aircraft builders. Who knows maybe someday I'll get
> to build something that flies.

There are a number of free newsgroup servers you can access. I use the one
Charter (my ISP)carries, but it is often unreliable. I also use
nntp.aioe.org as a backup, which you can access from any computer, any
place, with any ISP. It does not carry binary newsgroups, but that is not
an issue for this group, and most others.
--
Jim in NC

Ron Wanttaja[_2_]
September 2nd 09, 03:08 AM
Anthony W wrote:
> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
> their news server.
>
> I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
> recommend to replace this group?

I've had http://www.eternal-september.org/ for several months now, and
it seems pretty reliable.

Ron Wanttaja

BobR
September 2nd 09, 03:40 AM
On Sep 1, 8:15*pm, Anthony W > wrote:
> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
> their news server.
>
> I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
> recommend to replace this group?
>
> I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
> member of? *I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
> and techniques from the aircraft builders. *Who knows maybe someday I'll
> get to build something that flies.
>
> Tony

Hell, just go to Google and Groups. Sign up for those newsgroups you
want and you can both read and post to them without using any
subscription service or special reader.

Bob

September 2nd 09, 03:41 AM
I've been reading this group, and a few others, for several years via
Google. Groups.Google.com

Simple, free. Both good things :-)
> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
> recommend to replace this group?
>
> I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
> member of? *I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
> and techniques from the aircraft builders. *Who knows maybe someday I'll
> get to build something that flies.
>
> Tony

Morgans[_7_]
September 2nd 09, 03:52 AM
> wrote

> I've been reading this group, and a few others, for several years via
> Google. Groups.Google.com
>
> Simple, free. Both good things :-)

You think it is simple? Wow, we would have to agree to disagree on that
point. I do not like the format that Google forces you to take to read the
posts. Too much back and forth and waiting, and trying to see what else is
in the conversation. It just does not flow easily, to me.
--
Jim in NC

Steve Hix
September 2nd 09, 03:56 AM
In article >,
Anthony W > wrote:

> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
> their news server.
>
> I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
> recommend to replace this group?

Some recommend the free news server nntp.aioe.org, which pretty much
leaves you free of the Verizon issue.

> I'm already on the Chuggers list but are there other ones worth being a
> member of? I'm not building a plane but I find I learn a lot of tools
> and techniques from the aircraft builders. Who knows maybe someday I'll
> get to build something that flies.
>
> Tony

R[_2_]
September 2nd 09, 04:28 AM
Anthony W wrote:
> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
> their news server.
I got the same email this morning.
In anticipation of this event, several months ago, I signed up to try
out the same Usenet service that Ron Wanttaja is recommending,
http://www.eternal-september.org/
I have continued to use my newsreader and have seen no difference in the
service when compared to what Verizon was offering, except, that they
offer a selection that includes some groups that Verizon had dropped
early on.
I do not have to use my browser to read a newsgroup which is a big plus
for time savings.

R[_2_]
September 2nd 09, 04:37 AM
R wrote:
> In anticipation of this event, several months ago, I signed up to try
> out the same Usenet service that Ron Wanttaja is recommending,
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
Ron and I both neglected to mention: "news.eternal-september.org
provides free read and write access to all text newsgroups"

Anthony W
September 2nd 09, 05:18 AM
Morgans wrote:
> There are a number of free newsgroup servers you can access. I use the
> one Charter (my ISP)carries, but it is often unreliable. I also use
> nntp.aioe.org as a backup, which you can access from any computer, any
> place, with any ISP. It does not carry binary newsgroups, but that is
> not an issue for this group, and most others.

Thanx, I'll give it a try.

Tony

Anthony W
September 2nd 09, 05:20 AM
BobR wrote:

> Hell, just go to Google and Groups. Sign up for those newsgroups you
> want and you can both read and post to them without using any
> subscription service or special reader.
>
> Bob

I tried that before and I hate the interface but I may have to resort to
it...

Tony

Anthony W
September 2nd 09, 05:22 AM
Thanx all. You guys never fail to amaze me...

Tony

vaughn[_2_]
September 2nd 09, 01:36 PM
"Ron Wanttaja" > wrote in message

> I've had http://www.eternal-september.org/ for several months now, and it
> seems pretty reliable.

Same here! Also I use aioe.org as my backup.

As a bonus, I dropped my long-term account at Worldnet when they dropped
their news server and am money ahead.

Vaughn

vaughn[_2_]
September 2nd 09, 01:40 PM
"BobR" > wrote in message

>Hell, just go to Google and Groups. Sign up for those newsgroups you
>want and you can both read and post to them without using any
>subscription service or special reader.

I would probably give up entirely on the Usenet before I do that. The
Google interface is terrible, and they do nothing to filter the spam. In
fact, Google is the conduit that most spammers use to flood the Usenet with
their crap.

There are much better choices than Google. Many of them free.

Vaughn

Morgans[_7_]
September 2nd 09, 07:25 PM
"R" > wrote in message
> Anthony W wrote:
>> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
>> their news server.
> I got the same email this morning.
> In anticipation of this event, several months ago, I signed up to try out
> the same Usenet service that Ron Wanttaja is recommending,
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
> I have continued to use my newsreader and have seen no difference in the
> service when compared to what Verizon was offering, except, that they
> offer a selection that includes some groups that Verizon had dropped
> early on.
> I do not have to use my browser to read a newsgroup which is a big plus
> for time savings.

I'm curious; how does that save time?
--
Jim in NC

Peter Dohm
September 2nd 09, 07:47 PM
"Ron Wanttaja" > wrote in message
> Anthony W wrote:
>> I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
>> their news server.
>>
>> I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
>> groups so my question to the group is: what eMail list would you
>> recommend to replace this group?
>
> I've had http://www.eternal-september.org/ for several months now, and it
> seems pretty reliable.
>
> Ron Wanttaja

I've been doing the same, at the suggestion of others on this group. It has
been working well since I learned that you have to sign-up for the free
service to get all of the needed features.

Peter

Morgans[_7_]
September 2nd 09, 11:40 PM
"Peter Dohm" > wrote

> I've been doing the same, at the suggestion of others on this group. It
> has been working well since I learned that you have to sign-up for the
> free service to get all of the needed features.

AIOE has no sign-ups, and all you have to do is add it to you reader's
account, or whatever you do to use that server.
--
Jim in NC

R[_3_]
September 3rd 09, 01:00 AM
Morgans wrote:
> I'm curious; how does that save time?

Simplicity speeds the resources.
With the newsreader you never have to wait for a browser to load html,
then, no scrolling down the page.
The newsreader instantly loads txt, click one key on the keyboard and
next unread message is there, The whole thread string is constantly
viewable in one corner of the newsreader, any message available from the
sting with a keyclick without ever having to touch a mouse to point and
click. A newsreader is a much better use of resources and the
simplicity of text only, greatly speeds the process of viewing several
different newsgroups in a short period of time.
A browser is fine if you want to look at pictures.
There are lots of good forums out there for which a browser is a useful
tool. Reading newsgroups on Google is not one of the efficient uses.

tom c[_3_]
September 7th 09, 11:52 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
>I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
>their news server.

alt.free.newsservers before they pull the plug. I use
http://www.eternal-september.org/ like Ron with good results. AIOE is ok but
has had weeks long down time in the past. There are also some decent low
cost usenet providers.

Peter Dohm
September 8th 09, 07:08 PM
"tom c" > wrote in message

> "Anthony W" > wrote in message
>>I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
>>their news server.
>

> alt.free.newsservers before they pull the plug. I use
> http://www.eternal-september.org/ like Ron with good results. AIOE is ok
> but has had weeks long down time in the past. There are also some decent
> low cost usenet providers.

Agreed, although I have not yet seen fit to go with the low cost route--even
though some of them do provide coverage of some additional text groups that
Bellsouth, ATT, and presumably Verizon used to carry--in addition to the
binary groups.

In any case, I singned up with both Eternal-September and AIOE a couple of
months ago and have had results similar to yours--with an interesting twist:
Earlier in this thread, I had a "senior moment" and posted that I was
pleased using Eternal-September, which is quite true; but AIOE is adjacent
on my news server list in an effort to provide redundancy and I happened to
be using it at the moment that I posted. Interestingly, the post appeared
for about a day before being deleted. It no longer appears on either server
and was probably deleted everywhere that is connected in the normal manner
of UseNet. The way that I found out what must have happened was by looking
for it on Google-Groups, where it does still appear, and where the error is
plainly visible--you don't even need to use the "view original" option.

Peter

Google