PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee on OLC

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 6th 09, 05:00 AM
Steve Leonard was brave enough to make a public offering here on RAS that
he would loan me a logger. We are out in Ulysses this weekend for a
little soaring camp and got a late start today.

It was pretty neat having the cambridge on board. I can see why you guys
like this stuff, maybe I'll have to get one of my own. Weather was
decent here while it lasted and I got 2 hours in with a couple of 9ish
mile upwind runs and glides back. I was having fun just flying straight
and not losing much altitude. Trace here:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1923163696

Considering I beat steve today by 4 points, I hope he'll let me have the
logger for the rest of the weekend...:)

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

BT
September 6th 09, 05:54 AM
Great flight !!
Logging flights for OLC can be done with a simple Garmin handheld GPS. I
have a Garmin 76 that I have used.
The download is slow over their serial connection, and any more you need a
serial to USB cable.
The Garmin96 models have a very fast USB download.

If all you want is gps track download capability, simple is easy.
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page11.htm

If you want to see it real time with map displays, then it gets busier with
PDAs, GPS cables etc.
I know local pilot that uses a blue tooth gps receiver clipped to his bucket
hat (actually I think his wife sewed a terry cloth pocket onto the outside
of the hat.) GPS bluetooth connects to his PDA and he has a moving map and
can capture the gps track data there for OLC.

"Tony Condon" > wrote in message
> Steve Leonard was brave enough to make a public offering here on RAS that
> he would loan me a logger. We are out in Ulysses this weekend for a
> little soaring camp and got a late start today.
>
> It was pretty neat having the cambridge on board. I can see why you guys
> like this stuff, maybe I'll have to get one of my own. Weather was
> decent here while it lasted and I got 2 hours in with a couple of 9ish
> mile upwind runs and glides back. I was having fun just flying straight
> and not losing much altitude. Trace here:
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1923163696
>
> Considering I beat steve today by 4 points, I hope he'll let me have the
> logger for the rest of the weekend...:)
>

> -Tony Condon
> Cherokee II N373Y

Steve Leonard[_2_]
September 6th 09, 02:45 PM
>"Tony Condon" wrote
> Steve Leonard was brave enough to make a public offering
> here on RAS that he would loan me a logger. We are out in > Ulysses
this weekend for a little soaring camp and got a late > start today.

> It was pretty neat having the cambridge on board. I can see > why you
guys like this stuff, maybe I'll have to get one of
> my own. Weather was decent here while it lasted and I got 2 > hours in
with a couple of 9ish mile upwind runs and glides
> back. I was having fun just flying straight and not losing
> much altitude. Trace here:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1923163696

> Considering I beat steve today by 4 points, I hope he'll let
> me have the logger for the rest of the weekend...:)
>

> -Tony Condon
> Cherokee II N373Y

Yours as long as you want to borrow it, Tony! And I hope it can document
that flight you are hoping for this weekend! If you get a badge leg too,
and want to claim it, the calibration is on me!

Steve

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 7th 09, 05:15 AM
Today the Cherokee and I ran 91 miles to the north of Ulysses. Started out
with some decently strong lift up to around 5-6000 AGL. not too shabby
considering some of my flights lately. South wind about 20 mph gave me a
little push and I was making decent groundspeed over the first 50 miles.
Then the lift started to weaken and I started to go down. high cirrus was
slowly creeping in from the west. I delayed as long as I could and landed
in a big soft dirt field after bout 2 and a half hours in the air.

Still made it home in time to visit with the other guys. Steve is
downloading my trace now, I'll post a link to the OLC entry as soon as I
have it.

tomorrow I will take off and head east as far as I can, crosswind. Gotta
get back to wichita anyway, might as well fly as far as I can.

This is probably the first time I've really done a camp sort of thing
with my glider and I've decided I need to keep it up. Very fun going to a
different place to fly, with friends.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 7th 09, 05:45 AM
here is today's trace:

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1832934424

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Paul Remde
September 7th 09, 02:40 PM
Hi Tony,

Is that your longest flight yet? It has been fun watching your flight
distances and speeds increase over the last year or 2. Well done. It is
clear you are having a lot of fun!

Paul Remde

"Tony Condon" > wrote in message
> here is today's trace:
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1832934424
>
> -Tony Condon
> Cherokee II N373Y

Wayne Paul
September 7th 09, 02:40 PM
Tony,

I notice that you were down to 440 ft AGL at one point and managed to climbout and keep going. Congratulations!!

Great flight!!!

Wayne
HP14 "6F"
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

"Tony Condon" > wrote in message ...
> here is today's trace:
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1832934424
>
> -Tony Condon
> Cherokee II N373Y

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 8th 09, 05:15 AM
At 13:40 07 September 2009, Paul Remde wrote:
>Hi Tony,
>
>Is that your longest flight yet? It has been fun watching your flight
>distances and speeds increase over the last year or 2. Well done. It is

>clear you are having a lot of fun!
>
>Paul Remde
>
>"Tony Condon" wrote in message
>> here is today's trace:
>>

>http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1832934424
>>
>> -Tony Condon
>> Cherokee II N373Y

Paul,

not my longest flight yet, but top 5. Longest was a few years ago at 105
miles. I've had at least three flights (2 this season) in the 90-100
mile range.

I am definitely having fun.

Today i decided to run east towards Wichita, since I had to get home
tonight anyway. 2000 AGL tow from Ulysses followed by a good thermal that
I took to 10,300 feet MSL!!! thats the highest the Cherokee has ever flown!
I started to run east and was joined by Steve in the Nimbus after a while
but then there was big shadows and some buildling T-storms that shut
everything down. I delayed for a while attempting to make headway into
the 25 mph wind (HA) then made a run to the east a little further but
missed and landed in a dirt field. nice farmer who helped de-rig.

40 miles total distance from ulysses. Once I figure out how to download
off this Cambridge, I'll post to the OLC. Should be fun to see the spot
where I was "stuck" for about an hour.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 8th 09, 05:15 AM
At 13:40 07 September 2009, Wayne Paul wrote:
>Tony,
>
>I notice that you were down to 440 ft AGL at one point and managed to =
>climbout and keep going. Congratulations!!
>
>Great flight!!!
>
>Wayne
>HP14 "6F"
>http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

Wayne - actually it was 440 Meters AGL. Still low enough for me. That
save was particularly invigorating.

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Tony Condon[_2_]
September 8th 09, 05:30 AM
>Paul,
>
>not my longest flight yet, but top 5. Longest was a few years ago at
105
>miles. I've had at least three flights (2 this season) in the 90-100
>mile range.
>
>I am definitely having fun.
>
>Today i decided to run east towards Wichita, since I had to get home
>tonight anyway. 2000 AGL tow from Ulysses followed by a good thermal
that
>I took to 10,300 feet MSL!!! thats the highest the Cherokee has ever
>flown!
> I started to run east and was joined by Steve in the Nimbus after a
while
>but then there was big shadows and some buildling T-storms that shut
>everything down. I delayed for a while attempting to make headway into
>the 25 mph wind (HA) then made a run to the east a little further but
>missed and landed in a dirt field. nice farmer who helped de-rig.
>
>40 miles total distance from ulysses. Once I figure out how to download
>off this Cambridge, I'll post to the OLC. Should be fun to see the spot
>where I was "stuck" for about an hour.

here is the OLC link for today:
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-1746780938

it didnt validate for some reason. probably cause i goofed something up.
oh well you can still see where I flew.
>-Tony Condon
>Cherokee II N373Y

-Tony Condon