PDA

View Full Version : Netbook Computer For Soaring

September 9th 09, 01:02 AM
I am thinking about buying a Net Book Computer with 10 1/2 inch screen
for use in soaring. In addition to internet access, I would want to
run Seeyou, LXE, Cambridge (dos),and Dr Jacks forecasts. Has anyone
used a Net book for these items and were there any problems? If you
add a USB to serial adapter, did it comunuicate easily with the GPS/
NAV (Cambridge)? I fly with the Cambridge GPS/NAV and a LX 7007.
Need to load turnpoints with serial port to GPS/NAV and be able to
download flights from GPS/Nav via serial port. The comuincation with
LX 7007 is via SD Chip or serial port through the LXE software. What
make and model Netbok do you recommend?

Bill Snead
6W

JS
September 9th 09, 01:53 AM
I've used BLIPMAPS, XCSkies and other forecasting tools on an HP
netbook sold through Verizon. The height of the screen is ok but not
great for maps.
Have not connected it to a GPS.
The netbook gets online all over the place, and connection speed is
decent. It has USB (would require the same adapter as other computers
without serial port) and an SD card reader. It fits easier than any
other laptop in the baggage compartment or perhaps even behind the
seat.
Jim

BT
September 9th 09, 02:06 AM
I have an Acer One NetBook that I used last summer on a soaring safari to
Tonopah NV.
IT WAS GREAT !!!
The screen is 7.5 in wide, 9 in diagonal. Mine is one of the "first
generation" netbooks with 120GB internal HD, not the SSD drive and it runs
WinXP just fine. I also have Office2007Home loaded.

My NetBook did not have the built in Broadband, just the built in wifi., The
hotel lobby had free wifi.
I bought an external VirginMobile USB Broadband access capability that ran
just fine. No set charges and Pay as you go access, I can turn it on or off
month to month. A weeks soaring and other evening activity I used about
150MB of the 200MB I paid for the month. The FBO at the airport also had
limited wifi access but the USB Broadband was much faster.

My AcerOne has two SD ports, so loading a task or downloading post flight
data via SD card is no problem. The Colibri uses the microSD cards, but when
you buy a microSD card they come with the "adapter" to full size SD.

VirginMobile USB Month to Month, is much cheaper than Verizon or Sprint
Contract costs. Just check your coverage areas for where you will be flying.
Cricket also has the same "pay as you go" 3G access.

I run SeeYou for task planning and review. SeeYou worked great with the USB
connection to the Colibri data logger for setting tasks and downloading
files.

I was also able to use a USB to Serial Cable to download GPS data from a
Garmin 76S Handheld either with SeeYou or a GPS data grabber utility. My
older Garmin 76 has the 4 pin to serial cable. A Serial to USB had no
problems. Sometimes it would kick as to which CommPort it wanted to
communicate on. But after that was figured out, no problems. (Serial is very
slow data transfer).

I use XC-Skies for weather forecasting, but Dr Jack would be about the same.
With the short screen, just need to scroll up and down to see the full
picture.

I also have a small mouse to use with major work instead of using the touch
pad mouse all the time. It would work just as well with a wireless bluetooth
mouse. With 3 USB ports it was fine. Also mine has two SD slots. One for
"transferring data" the other slides in farther and a 16GB SD card could be
used as a second internal storage device.

I have not used it for LXE or Cambridge devices.

BT
email at bee tee eye zee two @ cox.net

> wrote in message
>I am thinking about buying a Net Book Computer with 10 1/2 inch screen
> for use in soaring. In addition to internet access, I would want to
> run Seeyou, LXE, Cambridge (dos),and Dr Jacks forecasts. Has anyone
> used a Net book for these items and were there any problems? If you
> add a USB to serial adapter, did it comunuicate easily with the GPS/
> NAV (Cambridge)? I fly with the Cambridge GPS/NAV and a LX 7007.
> Need to load turnpoints with serial port to GPS/NAV and be able to
> download flights from GPS/Nav via serial port. The comuincation with
> LX 7007 is via SD Chip or serial port through the LXE software. What
> make and model Netbok do you recommend?
>
> Bill Snead
> 6W

Tuno
September 9th 09, 03:00 AM
Bill, if you haven't seen it already, Wikipedia has a nice comparison
table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks

I'm giving the technology another year before I pick one. (And no, I
don't expect the pace of miniaturization to have leveled off a bit!)

~ted/2NO

Mike Bamberg
September 9th 09, 05:31 AM
On Sep 8, 7:00*pm, Tuno > wrote:
> Bill, if you haven't seen it already, Wikipedia has a nice comparison
> table here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
>
> I'm giving the technology another year before I pick one. (And no, I
> don't expect the pace of miniaturization to have leveled off a bit!)
>
> ~ted/2NO

I've been using an MSI WInd for several months and am very happy with
it as a very portable computer. Took it to China and have used it all
over the US, easy hook up to WiFi and SeeYou works fine. The only
problem is with programs that use ONLY 1024 by 768 or larger screens;
the netbooks are 1024x600 and several programs I've loaded to use
either fall off the bottom and you loss what ever controls are there,
or they refuse to work at all.

None of the soaring programs or websites have caused any problems.

Mike

ContestID67[_2_]
September 9th 09, 05:56 PM
Did SeeYou 3D work OK with your netbook? That is the real CPU and
video hog of the various things that SeeYou can do. Obviously,
statistics, plan or elevation views are no big deal.

I suggest that you make sure to buy a unit with an Atom processor and
pay for 2gb of RAM. They all seem to come with a webcam which is
great with Skype.

My wife bought a Dell Mini10 for $1 (yes, one dollar) from Sprint and
it came with a built in cellular broadband card - a very sweet, use-it-
anywhere combo - but she had to sign up for 2 years of service at $60/
month. ;-( I don't know if this deal is still available.

My $0.02.

- John DeRosa

GK[_2_]
September 9th 09, 10:48 PM
On Sep 8, 8:02*pm, " > wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a Net Book Computer with 10 1/2 inch screen
> for use in soaring. *In addition to internet access, I would want to
> run Seeyou, LXE, Cambridge (dos),and Dr Jacks forecasts. *Has anyone
> used a Net book for these items and were there any problems? *If you
> add a USB to serial adapter, did it comunuicate easily with the GPS/
> NAV (Cambridge)? *I fly with the Cambridge GPS/NAV and a LX 7007.
> Need to load turnpoints with serial port to GPS/NAV and be able to
> download flights from GPS/Nav via serial port. *The comuincation with
> LX 7007 is via SD Chip or serial port through the LXE software. *What
> make and model Netbok do you recommend?
>
> Bill Snead
> 6W

- Has anyone been able to use Mac for the same purpose?
Does seeyou only run via the windows emulator?
How about serial communication with Cambridge?
After the never ending vista fiasco and being able to play with my
significant others macbook, I think I'd like to land with a macpro...
GK

Mike Bamberg
September 9th 09, 10:58 PM
On Sep 9, 2:48*pm, GK > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 8:02*pm, " > wrote:
>
> > I am thinking about buying a Net Book Computer with 10 1/2 inch screen
> > for use in soaring. *In addition to internet access, I would want to
> > run Seeyou, LXE, Cambridge (dos),and Dr Jacks forecasts. *Has anyone
> > used a Net book for these items and were there any problems? *If you
> > add a USB to serial adapter, did it comunuicate easily with the GPS/
> > NAV (Cambridge)? *I fly with the Cambridge GPS/NAV and a LX 7007.
> > Need to load turnpoints with serial port to GPS/NAV and be able to
> > download flights from GPS/Nav via serial port. *The comuincation with
> > LX 7007 is via SD Chip or serial port through the LXE software. *What
> > make and model Netbok do you recommend?
>
> > Bill Snead
> > 6W
>
> *- Has anyone been able to use Mac for the same purpose?
> Does seeyou only run via the windows emulator?
> How about serial communication with Cambridge?
> After the never ending vista fiasco and being able to play with my
> significant others macbook, I think I'd like to land with a macpro...
> GK

Yes the 3D function of SY worked fine on the netbook.

Mike

John Smith
September 9th 09, 11:37 PM
GK wrote:
> - Has anyone been able to use Mac for the same purpose?
> Does seeyou only run via the windows emulator?

Face it, gliding software is mostly windows only. Seeyou does run on a Mac
- perfectly with Windows on Bootcamp
- perfectly except 3D with Windows over Parallels or Fusion
- acceptably with WINE (so I've been told), but without 3D

> How about serial communication with Cambridge?

Most USB-to-serial adapers work just fine on Macs with most
applications. I've used one with Windows on Bootcamp with good success
(not gliding related), no idea how they work with Parallels or Fusion.

September 11th 09, 02:08 AM
On Sep 9, 5:37*pm, John Smith > wrote:
> GK wrote:
> > *- Has anyone been able to use Mac for the same purpose?
> > Does seeyou only run via the windows emulator?
>
> Face it, gliding software is mostly windows only. Seeyou does run on a Mac
> - perfectly with Windows on Bootcamp
> - perfectly except 3D with Windows over Parallels or Fusion
> - acceptably with WINE (so I've been told), but without 3D
>
> > How about serial communication with Cambridge?
>
> Most USB-to-serial adapers work just fine on Macs with most
> applications. I've used one with Windows on Bootcamp with good success
> (not gliding related), no idea how they work with Parallels or Fusion.

Thanks for all the valauble info. Sounds like I really need a
netbook. If I want to use the Virgin Broadband month to month
internet access without using the external USB plug in device, can I
buy a net book that has an internal connection to the internet through
Virgin Broadband?

Bill Snead
6W

Rob.Russell
September 11th 09, 02:53 PM
On Sep 10, 9:08*pm, wrote:

> Thanks for all the valauble info. * Sounds like I really need a
> netbook. *If I want to use the Virgin Broadband month to month
> internet access without using the external USB plug in device, can I
> buy a net book that has an internal connection to the internet through
> Virgin Broadband?

Generally speaking, that's exactly what the cellphone companies are
hoping you'll do, because you'll end up paying them significantly more
money over the next 3 years that way.

I'm up in Canada, so I can't speak too specifically about US cellphone
companies, but if you want awesome internets on your netbook, the best/
cheapest way is to make sure you have awesome internets on your
cellphone. If you're already paying $50-75/mo for your cellphone, why
pay another $50/mo for your netbook to have its own data plan?

Some netbooks have built-in bluetooth (MSI Wind is great, for just
this reason - it won't need a dongle to work with an external mouse),
and many cellphones offer bluetooth "internet tethering." Other
netbooks will need a tiny bluetooth dongle -- the one I have is
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-USB-Micro-Adapter-Dongle/dp/B001EBE1LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252676181&sr=8-1

My phone is a Nokia e51 (Very similar to AT&T's e71). So, it gets 7MB/
s internet over the cell network, and shares that internet with the
netbook by either bluetooth or USB. Over bluetooth wireless, it slows
the data down to 2MB/s, but I get the full 7MB/s when I plug the phone
in to the laptop directly by USB.

This way, my 8MB/mo data plan can be used by both the cellphone and
the netbook! (Always work out your annualized costs and try to avoid
looking at the hardware purchase costs as much, that's how cellphone
companies are designed to trick people).

Since you're a glider pilot, you're likely both old and frugal, so the
"I don't need internet on my cellphone" argument might also be popping
up in your head. I can't tell you how much I enjoy being able to
check METARs/TAFs, and Dr. Jack from my phone, without having to find
a computer. My phone has a microSD card slot in it. . . so I posted
my last OLC from the phone, no netbook needed. It's also great to be
able to check my GMail and other stuff without having to open up a
netbook. Of course, the phone won't do SeeYou and isn't that good
with Flash websites.

The phone also regularly triangulates my position from cell towers,
and so long as it's within range of the cell towers, it uploads my
position to the internet every 10 minutes. Once I upgrade to the e52
later this year, it'll report back my GPS position instead of my
triangulated position. Since I always fly within cellphone coverage
areas, it's like having a half-assed SPOT tracking doodad for free.
Wanna see where I am now? Just click on http://avia.tion.ca/ (Of
course, I can manually override the reported position whenever I want,
so I tell the internet I'm at the local zoo's monkey house whenever
I'm visiting an acquaintance of ill repute.)

Sure, some people like to have a new monthly bill for their netbook,
and some people even have monthly bills for their car's GPS. I bet
you'll see digital cameras within a year that have SIM card slots so
that cell companies can sell you yet another monthly bill.

But, with the right cellphone, then you too can have a centralized
communications hub in your pants, and a single consolidated efficient
monthly bill for all the bits that your toys push over the network.

Downside: my crazy always-on lifestyle means that I usually carry one
or two spare phone batteries, but that'll get much better when the e52
comes out and I upgrade.

BT
September 12th 09, 12:23 AM
right now, I think the only companies offering a netbook with built in
broadband is Verizon or Sprint.
and they don't do month to month.. they will sell you a netbook at extreme
discount and want a two year contract.
It is the same marketing plan they use for their cell phones.

I do not think VirginMobile or Cricket has such a deal with the netbook

BT

> wrote in message
On Sep 9, 5:37 pm, John Smith > wrote:
> GK wrote:
> > - Has anyone been able to use Mac for the same purpose?
> > Does seeyou only run via the windows emulator?
>
> Face it, gliding software is mostly windows only. Seeyou does run on a Mac
> - perfectly with Windows on Bootcamp
> - perfectly except 3D with Windows over Parallels or Fusion
> - acceptably with WINE (so I've been told), but without 3D
>
> > How about serial communication with Cambridge?
>
> Most USB-to-serial adapers work just fine on Macs with most
> applications. I've used one with Windows on Bootcamp with good success
> (not gliding related), no idea how they work with Parallels or Fusion.

Thanks for all the valauble info. Sounds like I really need a
netbook. If I want to use the Virgin Broadband month to month
internet access without using the external USB plug in device, can I
buy a net book that has an internal connection to the internet through
Virgin Broadband?

Bill Snead
6W

Google