PDA

View Full Version : What are the small fences

Indrek Aavisto
September 14th 09, 01:06 AM
While flying on a 777 I noticed a series of what appeared to be small fences
close to the leading edge of the wing. Can anyone tell me their purpose?

Thanks,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

Robert Moore
September 14th 09, 01:15 AM
"Indrek Aavisto" > wrote

> While flying on a 777 I noticed a series of what appeared to be small
> fences close to the leading edge of the wing. Can anyone tell me their
> purpose?

Do a Google for Vortex Generators.

From Wikipedia:
Vortex generators are likely to be found on the external surfaces of
vehicles where flow separation is a potential problem because vortex
generators delay flow separation. [3] On aircraft they are installed on the
leading edge of a wing in order to maintain steady airflow over the control
surfaces at the rear of the wing.[2] They are typically rectangular or
triangular, tall enough to protrude above the boundary layer, and run in
spanwise lines near the thickest part of the wing.[1] They can be seen on
the wings and vertical tails of many airliners. Vortex generators are
positioned in such a way that they have an angle of attack with respect to
the local airflow.

Bob Moore

Indrek Aavisto
September 14th 09, 01:49 AM
>> While flying on a 777 I noticed a series of what appeared to be small
>> fences close to the leading edge of the wing. Can anyone tell me their
>> purpose?

RM> Do a Google for Vortex Generators.

RM> From Wikipedia:
RM> Vortex generators are likely to be found on the external surfaces of
RM> vehicles where flow separation is a potential problem because vortex
RM> generators delay flow separation. [3] On aircraft they are installed
RM> on the
RM> leading edge of a wing in order to maintain steady airflow over the
RM> control
RM> surfaces at the rear of the wing.[2] They are typically rectangular
RM> or
RM> triangular, tall enough to protrude above the boundary layer, and
RM> run in
RM> spanwise lines near the thickest part of the wing.[1] They can be
RM> seen on
RM> the wings and vertical tails of many airliners. Vortex generators
RM> are
RM> positioned in such a way that they have an angle of attack with
RM> respect to
RM> the local airflow.

RM> Bob Moore

Thanks for the info, Bob. We live and learn. ;-)

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult. W.S. Churchill

Google