PDA

View Full Version : On wind - an elementary clarification

D Ramapriya
September 17th 09, 03:36 AM
When the ATC gives you the wind direction and speed, are they at any
particular point on the runway like its longitudinal center or takeoff
threshold, or is it simply the average over the runway length?

Thanks in advance,

Ramapriya

Mike Ash
September 17th 09, 04:53 AM
In article >,
Clark > wrote:

> D Ramapriya > wrote in news:d9bb1ebf-f62e-4bfa-badd-
> :
>
> > When the ATC gives you the wind direction and speed, are they at any
> > particular point on the runway like its longitudinal center or takeoff
> > threshold, or is it simply the average over the runway length?
> >
> The wind is reported for the location of the sensor.
>
> The sensor may be located such that it represents the "average" wind for the
> field. However, I know of airports where it doesn't represent the average
> wind because of terrain shielding. Some airports have multiple sensors and
> then the wind report is likely the sensor considered most relevant to the
> active runway.
>
> It's always nice when there are multiple windsocks and you can get a good
> picture of surface winds. Of course surface winds may not be any indication
> of the wind at pattern altitude...

My home field has two wind socks and a tetrahedron in fairly close
proximity. On a typical flying day it is not unusual to see each one of
them pointing 120 degrees away from the other two, or the two wind socks
pointing towards or away from each other.

In short, never trust the stuff too far....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

capitanleo
September 21st 09, 05:39 AM
On Sep 16, 11:14*pm, Clark > wrote:
> D Ramapriya > wrote in news:d9bb1ebf-f62e-4bfa-badd-
> :
>
> > When the ATC gives you the wind direction and speed, are they at any
> > particular point on the runway like its longitudinal center or takeoff
> > threshold, or is it simply the average over the runway length?
>
> The wind is reported for the location of the sensor.
>
> The sensor may be located such that it represents the "average" wind for the
> field. However, I know of airports where it doesn't represent the average
> wind because of terrain shielding. Some airports have multiple sensors and
> then the wind report is likely the sensor considered most relevant to the
> active runway.
>
> It's always nice when there are multiple windsocks and you can get a good
> picture of surface winds. Of course surface winds may not be any indication
> of the wind at pattern altitude...
>
> --
> ---
> there should be a "sig" here

I concur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXybnTbjBl8

capitanleo
September 21st 09, 05:39 AM
On Sep 17, 12:26*am, Clark > wrote:
> Mike Ash > wrote :
>

> > In article >,
> > *Clark > wrote:
>
> >> D Ramapriya > wrote in
> >> :

> >> The wind is reported for the location of the sensor.
>
> >> The sensor may be located such that it represents the "average" wind
> >> for the field. However, I know of airports where it doesn't represent
> >> the average wind because of terrain shielding. Some airports have
> >> multiple sensors and then the wind report is likely the sensor
> >> considered most relevant to the active runway.
>
> >> It's always nice when there are multiple windsocks and you can get a
> >> good picture of surface winds. Of course surface winds may not be any
> >> indication of the wind at pattern altitude...
>
> > My home field has two wind socks and a tetrahedron in fairly close
> > proximity. On a typical flying day it is not unusual to see each one of
> > them pointing 120 degrees away from the other two, or the two wind socks
> > pointing towards or away from each other.
>
> > In short, never trust the stuff too far....
>
> I always like it when the windsocks on each end of the runway point at each
> other...
>
> --
> ---
> there should be a "sig" here

that is helpful to spot signs of windshift on takeoff roll or
windshear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXybnTbjBl8

Google