PDA

View Full Version : PZL compass

Solo
September 25th 09, 06:42 PM
I have a PZL KI-13A compass. The fluid seems to have drained out. I contacted PZL for information on how to repair but, their recommendation was to replace the unit because of the shipping cost.

Is there a way to refill the compass with the appropriate fluid?

Dave Nadler
September 25th 09, 08:49 PM
On Sep 25, 1:42*pm, Solo > wrote:
> I have a PZL KI-13A compass. *The fluid seems to have drained out. *I
> contacted PZL for information on how to repair but, their
> recommendation was to replace the unit because of the shipping cost.
>
> Is there a way to refill the compass with the appropriate fluid?
>
> --
> Solo

If the fluid has leaked out, its cracked.
Often because the mounting ring was over-tightened.
You'll want to read this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring/browse_frm/thread/638b41c4878a7ab3/78718b5728fffbca?q=PZL+compass#78718b5728fffbca

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric" (which has a good 'ole Airpath)

John[_25_]
September 26th 09, 04:11 AM
On Sep 25, 3:49*pm, Dave Nadler > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 1:42*pm, Solo > wrote:
>
> > I have a PZL KI-13A compass. *The fluid seems to have drained out. *I
> > contacted PZL for information on how to repair but, their
> > recommendation was to replace the unit because of the shipping cost.
>
> > Is there a way to refill the compass with the appropriate fluid?
>
> > --
> > Solo
>
> If the fluid has leaked out, its cracked.
> Often because the mounting ring was over-tightened.
> You'll want to read this thread:http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring/browse_frm/thread...
>
> Hope that helps,
> Best Regards, Dave "YO electric" (which has a good 'ole Airpath)

Has anyone else noted that all RAS posts older than about a month are
no longer returned by 'Search this group' ? Dave's direct link to the
thread works fine, but a search on 'PZL' will not produce it. I hope
there is an easy alternative to searching our archives, because if
not, we've all lost a good source of knowledge. New postings also
become a waste of time if only accessible via search for such a short
time.

John

jcarlyle
September 26th 09, 03:55 PM
This inconvenient situation has existed for about 2 months now -
apparently Google "improved" things a while ago (not!) You can still
search the archives, though, everything is there. Do this:

1. Go to this page: http://groups.google.com/
2. In the search field type "group:rec.aviation.soaring" (without the
quotes), followed by your query

Hope this helps.

-John

On Sep 25, 11:11 pm, John > wrote:
> Has anyone else noted that all RAS posts older than about a month are
> no longer returned by 'Search this group' ? Dave's direct link to the
> thread works fine, but a search on 'PZL' will not produce it. I hope
> there is an easy alternative to searching our archives, because if
> not, we've all lost a good source of knowledge. New postings also
> become a waste of time if only accessible via search for such a short
> time.

Leroy Tire
September 26th 09, 04:12 PM
If you fix it and refill it, be sure to leave a small air bubble in it
for fluid expansion or else you will be back to where you started.

Solo wrote:
> I have a PZL KI-13A compass. The fluid seems to have drained out. I
> contacted PZL for information on how to repair but, their
> recommendation was to replace the unit because of the shipping cost.
>
> Is there a way to refill the compass with the appropriate fluid?

Google