PDA

View Full Version : Blanik L23 repaint

tomcatvf51
October 24th 09, 01:43 AM
Our club is repainting/recovering the ailerons, wings and horizontal tail of our 1999 Blanik L23. Our supervising A&P and I are stymied in the disassembly of the horizontal tail. The trim tab cable runs from a rocker arm near the forward horizontal tail attachement point through the stab and elevator to the trim tab. It appears that we will have to grind off the swage fitting to release the cable so we can separate the stab and elevator. Everything else on the ship comes apart easily, what are we missing. Suggestions?

Thanks,

- Barry

Wayne Paul
October 24th 09, 02:41 PM
Barry,

We had the same experience with an L-13 last winter. Our solution was as you suggested, grind of the swage fittings.

Wayne

"tomcatvf51" > wrote in message ...

> Our club is repainting/recovering the ailerons, wings and horizontal
> tail of our 1999 Blanik L23. Our supervising A&P and I are stymied in
> the disassembly of the horizontal tail. The trim tab cable runs from a
> rocker arm near the forward horizontal tail attachement point through
> the stab and elevator to the trim tab. It appears that we will have
> to grind off the swage fitting to release the cable so we can separate
> the stab and elevator. Everything else on the ship comes apart easily,
> what are we missing. Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Barry
>

> --
> tomcatvf51

Christopher Lyons
October 24th 09, 03:12 PM
On 24 Oct, 09:41, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
> Barry,
>
> We had the same experience with an L-13 last winter. Our solution was as you suggested, grind of the swage fittings.
>
> Wayne
>

> "tomcatvf51" > wrote in . ..
>
> > Our club is repainting/recovering the ailerons, wings and horizontal
> > tail of our 1999 Blanik L23. *Our supervising A&P and I are stymied in
> > the disassembly of the horizontal tail. *The trim tab cable runs from a
> > rocker arm near the forward horizontal tail attachement point through
> > the stab and elevator to *the trim tab. *It appears that we will have
> > to grind off the swage fitting to release the cable so we can separate
> > the stab and elevator. *Everything else on the ship comes apart easily,
> > what are we missing. *Suggestions?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > - Barry
>
> > --
> > tomcatvf51

I thought the two trim cables could be disconnected through the
inspection ports where you adjust the tension on each cable so the
trim tabs are aligned.

October 26th 09, 03:37 AM
We just did this work on our 92 L-23. On our Blanik the cable was
attached to the trim tab control horn by an eyelet type of thing. The
cable was wrapped around the outside of this eyelet and then joined to
itself with a wrapped wire and soldier. We removed the soldier and
the wrapped wire and were then able to detach the trim tab.

Google