PDA

View Full Version : Re: Aerobatic club

Klein
February 9th 05, 06:02 AM
On 8 Feb 2005 15:58:28 -0800, wrote:

>I was curious if there are any pilots in Eastern Washington that would
>like to create glider aerobatic club. What I was thinking about was a
>purchase of MDM-1 Fox and some sort of a tow plane. The club members
>would share the cost of the purchase of the equipment and then pay a
>few dollars per flight and tow to cover all the maintenance and related
>cost. I also was thinking about the location and I came to conclusion
>that Richland, WA would be a pretty good location. We have over 300
>flying days per year and the area is not really congested. So, I think
>it could work. If anyone has an interest please contact me directly.

This sounds interesting. However, I would suggest you consider
Ephrata instead. It is already a center for both gliders and for
power aerobatics. There is already at least one aerobatic contest per
year held there. There is a marked competition box next to the
runways. There are plenty of experienced acro pilots around to offer
ground critique (and dual). You wouldn't need to buy a tow plane.

I would be interested in being involved if it were located there. And
I don't even live in WA. ;-) I have flown the Fox and it is a great
airplane. Lots of fun.

I have cross-posted this to rec.aviation.aerobatics

Klein
Bozeman, MT
Swift S-1

February 9th 05, 05:53 PM
Klein,
Ephrata is a good choice. The only problem is lack of hangar, the
glider would have to be disassembled every time and the cost of aero
tows there is quite expensive. In addition, my understanding is that
there are no tow planes in Ephrata during winter. The aerobatic box is
good, I am aware of it. But in general I am open to suggestions and
ideas.

Google