PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate soaring challenges or adventures

nimbusgb
November 9th 09, 01:28 PM
I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
I'd
appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
of
soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.

I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

Tony[_5_]
November 9th 09, 03:12 PM
On Nov 9, 7:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

My general goal is to go further than I have ever gone before. Or at
least as far as I can go that day.

when I was living in Iowa one of my dream flights was to fly the 99
mile distance northwest to my hometown. almost made it once, landed
out 7 miles short.

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
November 9th 09, 08:02 PM
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 05:28:09 -0800, nimbusgb wrote:

> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'. I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

Getting gold height on a ridge would be pretty cool. I'm told that can be
done on the local hill at Bolzano.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Mark
November 9th 09, 09:41 PM
Martin,
Your tip on Bolzano has moved it way up on my "must visit" list.

Thanks

Tony[_5_]
November 9th 09, 09:42 PM
of course there is always the goal of doing all 3 diamonds in a 1-26,
or in my case, a Cherokee II

Uncle Fuzzy
November 9th 09, 10:00 PM
On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.
My 'Bucket List'

Sierra Wave
French Alps
New Zealand
Ely NV
All three diamonds in one flight.

vontresc
November 9th 09, 10:26 PM
On Nov 9, 4:00*pm, Uncle Fuzzy > wrote:
> On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> > I'd
> > appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> > of
> > soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> > other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> > I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.
>
> My 'Bucket List'
>
> Sierra Wave
> French Alps
> New Zealand
> Ely NV
> All three diamonds in one flight.

That's a pretty good list.

I personaly would add getting a bungee launch in something vintage
(SG-38, Minimoa) at the Wasserkuppe, and flying the Morning glory in
Australia

Pete

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
November 10th 09, 12:36 AM
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:26:35 -0800, vontresc wrote:

> On Nov 9, 4:00Â*pm, Uncle Fuzzy > wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 5:28Â*am, nimbusgb > wrote:> I am
>> looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
>> > I'd
>> > appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
>> > of
>> > soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
>> > other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>>
>> > I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.
>>
>> My 'Bucket List'
>>
>> Sierra Wave
>> French Alps
>> New Zealand
>> Ely NV
>> All three diamonds in one flight.
>
> That's a pretty good list.
>
> I personaly would add getting a bungee launch in something vintage
> (SG-38, Minimoa) at the Wasserkuppe, and flying the Morning glory in
> Australia

Substitute The Mynd for der Wasserkuppe and the bungee launch can be
done, though you'd have to settle for a T.21 rather than an SG-38.

The favourite pre-war bungee launch point is unusable because it is still
occupied by the bones of a radar site than still contains a giant
golfball. It was my understanding that they no longer bungee off the hill
but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Its certain that the majority of their
launches are aero tows. They do have a winch, but it wasn't in use either
time I've visited der Wasserkuppe.

I believe there are four airworthy Minimoas. One lives at Dunstable. I
don't know where the others are.

Another item for the list: a winch launch into wave. Its been done at
Portmoak in Scotland and I think its possible at Jury Hill on the North
Island of New Zealand.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Gerald Simpson
November 10th 09, 01:13 AM
On Nov 9, 8:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

I would like to propose that a 15meter standard class 500km declared
triangle in Indiana might qualify as a borderline ultimate adventure.
I don't think it has been done.

RN
November 10th 09, 02:05 AM
How about bringing the Shuttle back from a high launch to the Space
Station turnpoint.

Otherwise, the Perlan Project flying into he Polar Vortex might
suffice.

Also, Rutan's Space Ship One flights could expand the horizon. I
understand these guys had to go get a commercial glider rating before
the FAA would let them fly.

Eric Greenwell
November 10th 09, 03:12 AM
RN wrote:
> How about bringing the Shuttle back from a high launch to the Space
> Station turnpoint.
>
> Otherwise, the Perlan Project flying into he Polar Vortex might
> suffice.

Help them buy the wings, and you could be one of those people.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Ramy
November 10th 09, 03:51 AM
On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

Ultimate soaring adventure? Of course, flying coast to coast,
gliderport to gliderport, no trailering, no motoring - 100% soaring.
Giving enough free time, this should be doable in one season. Maybe
following Alby's route.
Can't imagine anything else topping this in the US as the ultimate
soaring adventure.

Ramy

Geoff Vincent
November 10th 09, 08:11 AM
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:36:52 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:26:35 -0800, vontresc wrote:
>
>> On Nov 9, 4:00Â*pm, Uncle Fuzzy > wrote:
>>> On Nov 9, 5:28Â*am, nimbusgb > wrote:> I am
>>> looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.

>>> My 'Bucket List'
>>>
>>> Sierra Wave
>>> French Alps
>>> New Zealand
>>> Ely NV
>>> All three diamonds in one flight.
>>
>> That's a pretty good list.
>>
>> I personaly would add getting a bungee launch in something vintage
>> (SG-38, Minimoa) at the Wasserkuppe, and flying the Morning glory in
>> Australia
>>
>Substitute The Mynd for der Wasserkuppe and the bungee launch can be
>done, though you'd have to settle for a T.21 rather than an SG-38.
>
>The favourite pre-war bungee launch point is unusable because it is still
>occupied by the bones of a radar site than still contains a giant
>golfball. It was my understanding that they no longer bungee off the hill
>but I'm happy to be proved wrong. Its certain that the majority of their
>launches are aero tows. They do have a winch, but it wasn't in use either
>time I've visited der Wasserkuppe.
>
>I believe there are four airworthy Minimoas. One lives at Dunstable. I
>don't know where the others are.
>
>Another item for the list: a winch launch into wave. Its been done at
>Portmoak in Scotland and I think its possible at Jury Hill on the North
>Island of New Zealand.

This has also been done in Australia off winch launches from Ararat AF
(Victoria) contacting the Grampians wave. On another day a pilot was
on final at below 600 feet AGL, contacted the tertiary rotor and
soared to over 13,000 feet (and the Grampians Mts are, at best,less
than 3000 ft above surrounding terrain.

Geoff Vincent
Grampians Soaring Club
Australia

November 10th 09, 04:58 PM
I had a goal of winning the Hilton Cup in my Woodstock. I was
encouraged to try by 2 previous winners in my region (one who has
sadly passed away, RIP John McGregor). I thought they were crazy but
I attempted the 400K triangle in amazing weather and made it around.
Lost by a few points to some glass on the ridges out east but it was a
flight of a lifetime for me. I'd still be trying for the Hilton Cup
if it was still happening.

Other challenges? Breaking flight level 400 in wave. Actually, the
world altitude record could be taken by someone without millions to
spare if they utilized a surplus pressure suit and got very very
lucky. It would be quite risky.

IMC soaring from towering cumulus to towering cumulus around huge
tasks.

And, that Morning Glory looks really cool. We occasionally have
undular bore waves like that cross the midwest and one of these days
I'm gonna snag one.

Burt Compton - Marfa
November 11th 09, 02:33 AM
As seen in the film "Sun Ship Game", duplicate the final task (Marfa-
McCamey-Van Horn-Marfa) of 345 miles during the 1969 US Nationals,
where George Moffat and Wally Scott race through the big west Texas
sky past the scenic Davis Mountains for the US Championship in the
Open Cirrus B and ASW-12, respectively.

Or a bungee launch in an SG-38 primary glider at the Wasserkuppe.

Or both.

Burt
Marfa, Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

November 11th 09, 04:24 AM
On Nov 10, 8:33*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa > wrote:
> As seen in the film "Sun Ship Game", duplicate the final task (Marfa-
> McCamey-Van Horn-Marfa) of 345 miles during the 1969 US Nationals,
> where George Moffat and Wally Scott race through the big west Texas
> sky past the scenic Davis Mountains for the US Championship in the
> Open Cirrus B and ASW-12, respectively.
>
> Or a bungee launch in an SG-38 primary glider at the Wasserkuppe.
>
> Or both.
>
> Burt
> Marfa, Texas *USAwww.flygliders.com

Bungee launch of an SG-38 in which you then fly the 345 mile McCamey
Van Horn Marfa task. With those killer west Texas thermals it would
be easy on the right day.

nimbusgb
November 11th 09, 02:09 PM
On Nov 11, 4:24*am, wrote:
> On Nov 10, 8:33*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa > wrote:
>
> > As seen in the film "Sun Ship Game", duplicate the final task (Marfa-
> > McCamey-Van Horn-Marfa) of 345 miles during the 1969 US Nationals,
> > where George Moffat and Wally Scott race through the big west Texas
> > sky past the scenic Davis Mountains for the US Championship in the
> > Open Cirrus B and ASW-12, respectively.
>
> > Or a bungee launch in an SG-38 primary glider at the Wasserkuppe.
>
> > Or both.
>
> > Burt
> > Marfa, Texas *USAwww.flygliders.com
>
> Bungee launch of an SG-38 in which you then fly the 345 mile McCamey
> Van Horn Marfa task. *With those killer west Texas thermals it would
> be easy on the right day.

I'll list the initial ones I have so far this evening ( wrong PC here
at the moment ). Morning Glory and Barron Hilton right up there
already.

looking for more still :)

Ian

Gary Ittner[_2_]
November 11th 09, 11:44 PM
"Burt Compton - Marfa" > wrote in message

> As seen in the film "Sun Ship Game", duplicate the final task (Marfa-
> McCamey-Van Horn-Marfa) of 345 miles during the 1969 US Nationals,
> where George Moffat and Wally Scott race through the big west Texas
> sky past the scenic Davis Mountains for the US Championship in the
> Open Cirrus B and ASW-12, respectively.

We did duplicate that task at the 1991 USA Open Nats, but in the opposite
direction (Marfa-Van Horn-McCamey-Marfa). Competitors included George
Moffat, Dick Johnson, Ray Gimmey, John Byrd, and reigning 15m World Champion
Bruno Gantenbrink. I won the day in my Ventus, aided by the SSA's 3-year
experiment with handicapping the Open Class, and was intensely aware that I
was "living the dream".

In the "Sun Ship Game", the camera is pointing at the pilots in the morning
meeting as that task is announced, and shock or disbelief is evident on many
faces, including George's. In 1969, it was by far the longest assigned speed
task ever called in America (and probably the world). In 1991, it was just
an average task for the predicted good soaring weather, and we took it in
stride. That is quite a testament to the huge improvement in sailplane
performance during the intervening 22 years.

Gary Ittner P7
"Have glider, will race"

cernauta
November 12th 09, 12:26 AM
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:28:09 -0800 (PST), nimbusgb
> wrote:

>I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
>I'd

For me it has to be a Safari with a retractable engine sailplane.

I have flown from Italy to Ouarzazate (Morocco) in a dg400, A/R in
just 15 days, including 5 days of some of the most exciting soaring
over the Atlas. (...with the Stemme it's considered as cheating).

Other pilots have flown from Texas to Alaska (Mt. McKinley); from
Germany to Mt. Ararat in Turkey-Armenia; from Germany to South Africa
(!), but IIRC one glider was destroyed on half-way back.

A group of pilots flew a tow combination with a Blanik (?) and Robin
(?) from Germany to South Africa.

All these destinations require flying outside well established gliding
areas. Breaking the boundaries is lots of fun. You take the energy
from the unknown environment.
Tamer safaris can be flown almost everywhere, and are still a lot of
fun.

Travels with a TMG are a much different story, though bringing a
Stemme from the UK to NZ must be a great achievment.

Aldo Cernezzi

SparrowHawk08
November 12th 09, 12:48 AM
On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

I have always wanted to fly a thermal flight from Crystalaire to
Minden on one day, and then back the next day. I have flown, in parts
all the sections except from Topaz Lake to Mammoth. This would be in
my SparrowHawk. Flying a really long distance wave flight would also
be great. JP has done the wave flight but 12hrs is a little much, 8
would be plenty long enough for me, maybe at a faster speed, 900k ?
Mike Reagan

November 12th 09, 04:52 AM
My dream flights:

1000 km Grand Slam: 1) Thermal (done) 2) Wave 3) Appalachian
ridge (ideally, a non-lite O&R) 4) 1000 km FAI legal triangle

1250 km FAI triangle in the -20

1500 km in wave

Ely - Grand Canyon Airport - Ely

Tehachapi - Parowan via Tonopah or reverse

Tehachapi - Twin Falls

Gliderport Hopping: Tehachapi - Minden - Ely - Parowan - Cedar City -
Driggs

Tehachapi - Ely - Parowan - Durango -
Teluride - Salida - Owl Canyon

November 12th 09, 08:33 AM
On Nov 9, 5:28*am, nimbusgb > wrote:
> I am looking to compile a list of 'The Ultimate Soaring Adventures'.
> I'd
> appreciate any input from the forum on what they see as the pinnacle
> of
> soaring whether it is a 1000km task, flying New Zealands wave or some
> other goal that may be beyond the day-to-day pilots reach.
>
> I'll put up a list on a website once I get some input.

There is only ONE ultimate challenge... 1000K in a Grunau Baby!!

Ok maybe two, I left out getting me in a PW5 again.

Al

Surfer!
November 12th 09, 11:44 AM
In message
>,
"
<snip>

>There is only ONE ultimate challenge... 1000K in a Grunau Baby!!
>
>Ok maybe two, I left out getting me in a PW5 again.

What about 50k in a primary? :)

--
Surfer!

Tony[_5_]
November 12th 09, 04:44 PM
> In the "Sun Ship Game", the camera is pointing at the pilots in the morning
> meeting as that task is announced, and shock or disbelief is evident on many
> faces, including George's. In 1969, it was by far the longest assigned speed
> task ever called in America (and probably the world). In 1991, it was just
> an average task for the predicted good soaring weather, and we took it in
> stride. That is quite a testament to the huge improvement in sailplane
> performance during the intervening 22 years.

Still one of my favorite parts of the movie is the guy getting in his
glider and crying out for help.

"I dont want to go..."

50K in a primary would be fun...

November 13th 09, 05:45 AM
I'm reminded that it's been suggested that a non stop flight from
California via wave to the front range of CO could then hook up with
plains thermals for a landing in the midwest.

Another great soaring experience (which might be required on the above
mentioned flight) is to spend a night parked in wave. While in NZ I
heard talk of an ultimate distance flight where a long north and south
island wave flight would be followed the next day by a repeat
performance after spending the night parked at altitude somewhere in
range of a nice lighted airport. Can you imagine anything more like a
flight in a Gemini spacecraft? Fantastic.

Kemp[_2_]
November 15th 09, 05:18 AM
My original list that I call my "Seven Tasks" are:

Wave XC (Sierra, Andes and NZ), Sierra only done
Appalachian ridge run XC
The Morning Glory
The Grand Canyon (done)
The Alps (done)
Namibia
Santa Barbara diamond climb in wave from near sea level

and I've recently added 1000Km straight out from Williams, California

Kemp

SoaringXCellence
November 15th 09, 06:06 AM
One of the adventures I'd like to try is the flight described in John
Joss' book "Sierra, Sierra" from Port Angeles, Washington to Yuma,
Arizona.

Hopping the wave from Mount Olympus to Ranier, Adams, Hood, Jefferson,
Sisters, Diamond, Scott (Crater Lake), McLaughlin, Shasta, Lassen, and
onto the Eastern edge of the Sierras. Maximum altitude climb at
Whitney and downwind glide into Arizona.

From the northern border of the US to the southern. Start at Sunrise
and end at dusk.

Google