PDA

View Full Version : 1st Contest. Where Should I Go?

Barry[_4_]
November 25th 09, 02:32 AM
I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
has been in and around MN. I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Barry Jaeger

JJ Sinclair
November 25th 09, 03:08 AM
On Nov 24, 6:32*pm, Barry > wrote:
> I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> has been in and around MN. *I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Jaeger

I'd recommend Air Sailing all Sports Class Contest July 12- 17, small,
friendly, but quite competitive for the top positions.. I'm CDng it
next year and will do my best to make it doable for all. Rooms at the
Nugget for around $35/day can be had in advance via Hotels.com and
others.
Hope to see you there,
JJ Sinclair

SoaringXCellence
November 25th 09, 03:14 AM
On Nov 24, 6:32*pm, Barry > wrote:
> I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> has been in and around MN. *I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Jaeger

Barry,

I did my first regional contest in the Region 8 up in Ephrata WA. It
was wonderfull with lots of help from the other pilots and lots of
good landout spots if you need them . Except at the airport itself!!
For that reason the contest director often raises the release altitude
to 2500 ft. so that less capable sports-class gliders can make it back
to the field if they don't find a thermal right away. At 2000 ft. if
you don't get a thermal and your glider has less than 33:1 then you
may have to land out before you even get away. The Seattle Glider
Council has a great clubhouse that is used for most of the activities
and the nearby town of Ephrata and surrounding area has lots of things
for the non-pilot family members.

I'll be flying there again this coming year and look forward a great
time.

Mike

Ron Gleason
November 25th 09, 04:28 AM
On Nov 24, 7:32*pm, Barry > wrote:
> I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> has been in and around MN. *I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Jaeger

There will be a regional competition in Northern UT at Logan in mid to
late July, watch the SSA calendar. 2009 was the first year at Logan
and the event was great, 2010 should be even better.

Ron Gleason

Larry Goddard
November 25th 09, 05:09 AM
Barry,

You can't beat Cordele, GA for a first contest. Likely good weather,
benign task area and good organization.

Larry Goddard

"Barry" > wrote in message
:

> I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> has been in and around MN. I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> be fewer regional's than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Jaeger

vontresc
November 25th 09, 02:42 PM
On Nov 24, 11:09*pm, "Larry Goddard" > wrote:
> Barry,
>
> You can't beat Cordele, GA for a first contest. *Likely good weather,
> benign task area and good organization.
>
> Larry Goddard
>
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>
> :
>

> > I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> > recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> > willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> > has been in and around MN. *I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> > in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> > be fewer regional's than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> > later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> > Barry Jaeger- Hide quoted text -

I too live in region 7, and I am wondering why do other regions have
regular contests, but R7 seems to only have one every 2-3 years?

I hope to fly the Memorial Day weekend contest if the CLGC puts it on
again next year.

Peter

MickiMinner
November 25th 09, 04:46 PM
.. There seems to
> be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Barry, I would make a few recommendations for your first contest. My
specialty is indoctrinating newbies into soaring competition. I would
look for a contest (and there are many that do this) that have a
ground school/strategy class for all pilots. I would look for a
contest where you can fly with a more experienced "buddy". I would
also look for a contest that teams you up with a "mentor". The last
three things I mentioned are happening with MUCH more regularity than
ever before. I have so much fun putting experience together with new
and raw enthusiasm. It creates an excitement. I would also say, that
dont' worry about winning the first few contests, just worry about
learning the ropes and soaking up all the knowledge you can. You will
have sooo much fun.

NUMBER ONE RECOMMENDATION: Bring CREW....I generally pass around a
list for the "crewless and clueless". But as a newbie, you NEED the
help, and the retrieves!

Also, I wanted to warn you that there are several types of regional
competition pilots.
1. There are those that are just trying to get points to keep up
their ranking, and want to eventually fly in Nationals. These are the
serious, I don't have time to mentor pilots. They are great, but
really they would never tell you they don't have time, but they really
don't. They have a serious agenda, nothing wrong with it, just be
aware!
2. There are those that LOVE competing against themselves and
nature. They compete as much against themselves as others in the
contest. These are the experienced pilots that I LOVE to assign as
mentors. These pilots will give you the shirt off their backs, their
equipment, anything to add you to their passion filled experience.
3. There are those pilots that are still not comfortable with
competition, those are the pilots that have flown a few times in
competition, but not really my recommendation to ask for help or
mentoring. They have just graduated from the needing a mentor state,
but still trying to find their own way. These are the ones, that I
like to sit back, let them explore, and ask if they want any guidance,
but let them decide for themselves.
4. The last type of pilot is like yourself, excited, want to try, and
need some hand-holding. You are the type of pilot that I am most
thrilled about in competition soaring!

I think that you will find that there are many organizers out there
who do these exact things that I do at my contests. The reason that I
manage contests is to "grow" the sport and reach out to the
"newbies". However, each contest has to be worked so that all types
of pilots can accomplish what they need. It's a tough job. Which
answers the other question, why are there no regular regionals in
Region 7? Because the organizers are strictly volunteer
organizations, there is no requirement from the SSA to force every
region to have a yearly contest. I live in Region 9, however, I
manage contests all over the country (now).

Some sites like Mifflin PA, Cordele GA, Ephrata WA, New Castle VA are
GREAT places, and always crowded, so the organizers can run a contest
and not lose money. Their organizers are excellent, and any of those
contests would be good for a newbie for training and learning. Except
that Mifflin has some pretty tough terrain for a beginner, but the
knowledge and experience you get from someone like Karl Streideick is
impossible to get anywhere else.

I would also recommend that you make sure that you attend a contest
that is a stickler for the rules, I would also recommend that you look
for a CD (competition Director) that is himself a rated glider pilot.
LOTS of those around..an example, is my husband who usually CD's for
my contests. Because he himself is a glider pilot, he can see what
the new pilots are doing or not doing, and offer to have someone with
expertise in the newbie's trouble spots to help him.

Most of the contest sites mentioned do really great jobs at these
things to help newbies. So, view locations on the SSA contest
schedule, look for the dates, the experience of the organizers, and
find out which ones your local club friends are going to, and go
together!
Micki Minner

rlovinggood
November 25th 09, 05:40 PM
Barry,

I second Zero One's recommendation of Cordele, Georgia, USA. (Region
5)

Reasons:
1. Management was just great at the 2009 Club Class/15m National
combined contest and I'm sure the excellence will continue into the
2010 season, and hopefully longer into the future.
2. Task Area is pretty benign. Flat for the most part with large
cultivated areas where they grow cotton, cotton, and more cotton.
Also wheat. Probably some soybeans and peanuts, too. Yes, there are
some forested areas, but the majority of the task area is cultivated.
3. Airport is very nice for a contest. It's what I call the "World
War II" design, with three runways laid out in a triangle. One runway
is closed, but it's still landable, if required. The "main" runway is
kept open during the contest for the occassional biz jet or SEL or
crop duster. Runway 05/23 is dedicated to the gliders. I think it
measures 5,000' x 100' and gridding on it is pretty easy. And there
are acres and acres of grass to land on if the runways get too
crowded, but I've never seen that happen.
4. Accommodations are good. The airport is right on the northern
edge of the small city of Cordele, with the hotels just a few minutes'
drive away. Unless you get caught by a slow train at a railroad
crossing, then the drive (park) to the airport will be much longer.
There are a dozen or so pilots who do have RV's that stay at the
airport and there's at least one hardy soul who sets up his tent, but
tent camping is primative due to lack of a bathhouse.
5. The one downside for you is the driving distance. For me, it runs
about ten hours, but for you, you might have to add an hour or two...

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Scott Alexander[_2_]
November 26th 09, 02:29 AM
Barry!!

Come down to Cherry Valley, AR this May. TDuring May there have been
zero....I mean Z-E-R-O crops have grown up. Everything is plowed.
Table top flat, no forests. Over a 100+ Crop duster landing strips
within a silver distance radius. Even a guy like Dave Nadler wouldn't
have to bring an electric engine along :-) ewww! YO Wha'sup?

Bring the fam, or come alone and we promise to show you a fun time.
We'll pair you up with someone whose knowledgeable and you can have a
ball.

Come be our "guest of honor"!

Scott Alexander

Scott Alexander[_2_]
November 26th 09, 02:38 AM
By the way, the "famed" aviator Dennis Linneken may grace us with his
appearance.

In other words, if there's hurricanes, tornadoes, hail &
lightning.....it will be worth a visit, just to shake his hand.

Hal[_2_]
November 26th 09, 04:43 AM
On Nov 25, 6:38*pm, Scott Alexander >
wrote:
> By the way, the "famed" aviator Dennis Linneken may grace us with his
> appearance.
>
> In other words, if there's hurricanes, tornadoes, hail &
> lightning.....it will be worth a visit, just to shake his hand.

The SSA site for contests has the results from previous years so if
you want to get an idea of how many days you will actually fly and how
many days you will watch it rain check out the previous year
history. Land outs are another thing to look for. The more land
outs the more you will need crew.

I would listen to JJ and head to the west if driving far is not an
issue. Most pilots do not have the luxury of crew but if you have
someone that is great. The rest of us just agree to help each other
out if we cannot make it to an airport. In the last three years at
Air Sailing we have had only a couple of land outs and only one pilot
needed a ground retrieve.

I am sure there are many good contest locations but vacations are
precious so make yours count.

Andy[_10_]
November 26th 09, 11:49 AM
On Nov 24, 6:32*pm, Barry > wrote:
> I am interested in entering my first contest. I am looking for
> recommendations of where to go. I currently reside in region 7. I am
> willing to travel just about anywhere. Most of my resent cross-country
> has been in and around MN. *I have had minimal mountain flying, a week
> in Minden and learned in Montana quite some time ago. There seems to
> be fewer regional’s than years past. Perhaps more will be scheduled
> later in the year. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Barry Jaeger

Barry,

The choice depends quite a bit on experience - primarily with
outlandings - and your comfort level overflying rough terrain. Most of
the west/southwest requires that you cross tiger country at one time
or another. The compensating factor is the top of lift is frequently
8-10,000 above the ground, but getting low at the wrong spot can leave
you with a busted ship and a very long walk. My specific comments on
sites I've flown at at least once.

Parowan/Logan: Beautiful country, strong conditions. Parowan is less
mountain flying and generally slightly stronger. Both have decent
stretches of rough country. Parowan has only a single runway which can
get busy (only the Sports nationals there this year so unlikely you
can get in). You should be good at keeping the alternates on your
computer well within range.

Ephrata: More cultivation than just about anywhere in the west.
Conditions probably the most similar to what you've seen in MN - maybe
a bit better on average. Great airfield, but some scary country to the
east-southeast make for interesting final glides.

Minden/Air Sailing: Great conditions and a fun first contest under
JJ's direction at Air Sailing. It is pretty rough country in a lot of
directions and there is a lot of local knowledge with the strong
effects of the Sierra-Nevada mountains with convergence, strong
thermals and occasional wave.

El Tiro/Tucson: I think it's been awhile since they've had a contest
here and I'm glad to see it happening as it's perhaps the best soaring
site in Arizona. The enthusiasm of the Arizona Soaring Association
when it come to racing will ensure a fun contest. Some mountains in
the form of the Santa Catalinas to the northeast and some significant
stretches of open desert make this another site where knowing the
alternate airports well comes in handy.

Cordele (Charley Spratt was quoted as saying it rhymes with 'ordeal'):
A great airport and flatland that's completely cultivated makes this
pretty friendly for a newbie. I landed out every day at the 1983
contest and got to know the local crops well. It's usually hot, humid,
hazy and you can get thunderstorms on top of it all. Top of lift is
lower than you'll get out west so you'll get a good look at those
friendly fields.

New Castle: Great site, really fun people. It's the east so the
possibility of rainout is higher. If you don't have ridge-running
experience you have a good chance of doing some here. It's more
forested than any of the above sites, which can give you pause on a
marginal ridge day.

Ionia: Usually a well run contest. Flat, landable terrain. Downside is
the chance of a washout. Not sure if they are putting one on this
year.

Micki is right - a mentor program is a good thing. Most contest try to
organize something along these lines - just ask the Contest Manager.
Most racers are willing to mentor - some are really good at it. I
generally prefer well attended contests, but the small ones can be fun
too.

9B

Burt Compton - Marfa
November 26th 09, 03:26 PM
> NUMBER ONE RECOMMENDATION: *Bring CREW....I generally pass around a
> list for the "crewless and clueless". *But as a newbie, you NEED the
> help, and the retrieves!

In the meantime . . . You could offer to crew for a competition
pilot.
You can learn much about procedures, rules and racing techniques just
listening at the pilot briefings and the pool-side debriefings.
By listening and observing, you can also figure who are the mentors
and who are not.

Burt
Marfa, west Texas USA
www.flygliders.com

Chip Bearden[_2_]
November 30th 09, 07:16 PM
On Nov 25, 11:46*am, MickiMinner > wrote:

> Also, I wanted to warn you that there are several types of regional
> competition pilots.
> 1. *There are those that are just trying to get points to keep up
> their ranking, and want to eventually fly in Nationals. *These are the
> serious, I don't have time to mentor pilots. *They are great, but
> really they would never tell you they don't have time, but they really
> don't. *They have a serious agenda, nothing wrong with it, just be
> aware!

No one else responded to this so I'll jump in. I'm not sure I
understand what this category is. If it's a small number of pilots who
hope to improve and don't have time to help others do so, then yeah, I
guess there are a few like that. But if it's the group of experienced
pilots who do well regionally and, often, nationally, then they can
make great mentors, too, despite the fact that they enjoy competing
against each other fiercely. I don't think Micki intended to say that
the better pilots make lousy mentors (or that good mentors make lousy
pilots!) but that's sort of how one could interpret her original
posting. :)

The atmosphere at most regionals (all?) is dialed back a notch
compared with the nationals. So there's often a bit more time and
something less at stake there for the "big guns." For example, some of
the best mentors at New Castle this fall were national-caliber pilots
(including, from memory, at least two national champions) who love
competition...so much so that they also enjoy mentoring less
experienced pilots who might grow to love it, too. That doesn't mean a
newbie can show up expecting someone to explain how to do everything.
Years ago, I believe it was George Moffat who wrote that there are a
few pre-requisites for entering your first contest. Know your glider
and your equipment. Know the rules. Know how to stay up. Know
something about how to fly cross country (navigation being much less a
requirement now than it was before GPS). And, importantly, know how to
thermal safely in close company with other gliders. A mentor isn't
going to enjoy explaining the basics of how to thermal. But a good
mentor will be able to discuss the strategy for a given day and task,
the likely weather and timing of the start, how to use the terrain and
other gliders to best advantage, the rules, etc. So don't assume that
just because a pilot is a "name" that he/she won't make a good mentor.
Hank Nixon (UH)s, for example, has a long record of instructing
newbies on how to fly contests and anyone who's been fortunate to have
that experience is a better pilot for it.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

MickiMinner
December 1st 09, 03:57 PM
On Nov 30, 12:16*pm, Chip Bearden > wrote:
> On Nov 25, 11:46*am, MickiMinner > wrote:
>

> other gliders to best advantage, the rules, etc. So don't assume that
> just because a pilot is a "name" that he/she won't make a good mentor.
> Hank Nixon (UH)s, for example, has a long record of instructing
> newbies on how to fly contests and anyone who's been fortunate to have
> that experience is a better pilot for it.
>
> Chip Bearden
> ASW 24 "JB"
> USA

You are right...It did get worded wrong. Not that those experienced,
looking for national seeding pilots wouldn't make GREAT tutors/
mentors...just that they may not want to be or have time for it, if
they are looking to increase their ranking for nationals....thanks for
pointing out the difference! Uncle Hank was the BEST example to
use...he always seems to have time for mentoring/educating no matter
how difficult his hunt for a national title is. We owe a lot to his
mentoring skills!
Micki

Google