PDA

View Full Version : Re: Coral Sea Med Cruise in the 1970s

John Randolph
July 3rd 03, 06:47 AM
Yep, after 1979. I was CIC Officer on Coral Sea from 1976 to 1978 and she
was deployed from NAS Alameda to WestPac.

"Mike Weeks" > wrote in message
> >From: (Tom Cooper)
> >Date: 5/27/2003 02:33 Pacific Daylight Time
>
> >Please take a look at the photo I posted here:
> >http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/laraf_tu-22b_escorted_by_phantom.jpg
>
> Based on the photo, and it's quality ... that's most likely is an F-4N of
> VF-154.
>
> The BuNo matches F-4Bs (reworked to N), and the tail color; that solid red
line
> matches other published photos very closely of VF-154 F-4s w/ a mix of
black &
> a solid red line.
>
> >Several other things are sure:
> >- I have several excellent shots of the USS Coral Sea off Cannes, in
> >1983, with F-4s of the VF-21 and VF-154 (and the rest of the CVW-14)
> >on the deck: they are simply not the same like the Phantoms shown and
> >described above;
>
> Don't photos you have of VF-154 F-4Ns have a mix of a black tail
(completely or
> otherwise), w/ a similar solid red line?
>
> >- the Libyans have got their first Tu-22s in 1974, and the remaining
> >of 14 ordered Tu-22Bs arrived all by 1979. So, the photo couldn't have
> >been taken before or after that period;
>
> Why couldn't the photo be after 1979? Did the Libyans stop operating the
> Tu-22s preior to 1983? I don't think it's clear at all that the photo
> represents VF-51 -- given they didn't deploy as CVW-19 on Coral Sea.
>
> >This is really confusing...
>
> If in fact the photo is of F-4N 15224x NM10x, then I believe the code's
been
> broken. <g>
>
> Does this help any?
>
> MW
> -------------------------------------
> "As soon as movement begins, so does the fog of war" - Edward N. Luttwak

Legal Tender
July 7th 03, 02:56 PM
Coral sea did 2 west pac's from 1979 thru 1982. I think the next cruise was
the East coast move..
Frank

"John Randolph" > wrote in message
> Yep, after 1979. I was CIC Officer on Coral Sea from 1976 to 1978 and she
> was deployed from NAS Alameda to WestPac.
>
> "Mike Weeks" > wrote in message
> > >From: (Tom Cooper)
> > >Date: 5/27/2003 02:33 Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> > >Please take a look at the photo I posted here:
> > >http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/laraf_tu-22b_escorted_by_phantom.jpg
> >
> > Based on the photo, and it's quality ... that's most likely is an F-4N
of
> > VF-154.
> >
> > The BuNo matches F-4Bs (reworked to N), and the tail color; that solid
red
> line
> > matches other published photos very closely of VF-154 F-4s w/ a mix of
> black &
> > a solid red line.
> >
> > >Several other things are sure:
> > >- I have several excellent shots of the USS Coral Sea off Cannes, in
> > >1983, with F-4s of the VF-21 and VF-154 (and the rest of the CVW-14)
> > >on the deck: they are simply not the same like the Phantoms shown and
> > >described above;
> >
> > Don't photos you have of VF-154 F-4Ns have a mix of a black tail
> (completely or
> > otherwise), w/ a similar solid red line?
> >
> > >- the Libyans have got their first Tu-22s in 1974, and the remaining
> > >of 14 ordered Tu-22Bs arrived all by 1979. So, the photo couldn't have
> > >been taken before or after that period;
> >
> > Why couldn't the photo be after 1979? Did the Libyans stop operating
the
> > Tu-22s preior to 1983? I don't think it's clear at all that the photo
> > represents VF-51 -- given they didn't deploy as CVW-19 on Coral Sea.
> >
> > >This is really confusing...
> >
> > If in fact the photo is of F-4N 15224x NM10x, then I believe the code's
> been
> > broken. <g>
> >
> > Does this help any?
> >
> > MW
> > "As soon as movement begins, so does the fog of war" - Edward N. Luttwak

Google