PDA

View Full Version : Any recent naval "graffiti"?

José Herculano
July 5th 03, 11:44 PM
I still delight in those images of old of birds getting covered with
graffiti for getting aboard the "wrong" boat. With the advent of these days
of few boats and lots of high-tech gizmos... sigh...

I was wondering if during this latest conflict, somehow someone ended up
where he/she shouldn't. And if that came to pass, was the LSO still honored
with the traditional case of whatever he/she likes to drink, and the deck
hands were still allowed at least a couple of lines of profanity chalked
over the bird?
_____________
José Herculano

Eric Scheie
July 6th 03, 04:24 AM
Can't comment on current ops, though during Desert Storm if a LAMPS bird
from another det or squadron landed on your deck, the flight deck crew had
zappers at the ready.

Eric Scheie

"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> I still delight in those images of old of birds getting covered with
> graffiti for getting aboard the "wrong" boat. With the advent of these
days
> of few boats and lots of high-tech gizmos... sigh...
>
> I was wondering if during this latest conflict, somehow someone ended up
> where he/she shouldn't. And if that came to pass, was the LSO still
honored
> with the traditional case of whatever he/she likes to drink, and the deck
> hands were still allowed at least a couple of lines of profanity chalked
> over the bird?
> _____________
> José Herculano

Elmshoot
July 6th 03, 05:40 AM
We caught a A-7 from Kennedy on Sara during DS. Almost got his flight lead as
well. We had to have a hold back fitting heloed over since we didn't have any
embarked A-7's. It left Sara well marked.
Sparky

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
July 6th 03, 01:56 PM
On 7/5/03 5:44 PM, in article , "José
Herculano" > wrote:

> I still delight in those images of old of birds getting covered with
> graffiti for getting aboard the "wrong" boat. With the advent of these days
> of few boats and lots of high-tech gizmos... sigh...
>
> I was wondering if during this latest conflict, somehow someone ended up
> where he/she shouldn't. And if that came to pass, was the LSO still honored
> with the traditional case of whatever he/she likes to drink, and the deck
> hands were still allowed at least a couple of lines of profanity chalked
> over the bird?
> _____________
> José Herculano

Didn't happen in the last conflict (at least not in the Med)... Although a
few reservists toyed with the idea of coming into the break (at monster
speed, of course) and taking our own waveoff on TRUMAN just to mess up their
ops summaries.

--Woody

Herb Arnold
July 11th 03, 05:05 PM
> On 7/5/03 5:44 PM, in article , "José
> Herculano" > wrote:
>
> > I still delight in those images of old of birds getting covered with
> > graffiti for getting aboard the "wrong" boat. With the advent of these days
> > of few boats and lots of high-tech gizmos... sigh...
> >
> > I was wondering if during this latest conflict, somehow someone ended up
> > where he/she shouldn't. And if that came to pass, was the LSO still honored
> > with the traditional case of whatever he/she likes to drink, and the deck
> > hands were still allowed at least a couple of lines of profanity chalked
> > over the bird?
> > _____________
> > José Herculano
José,

Last time I saw it happen was about 1985, when an F-14A that was
supposed to be CQ'ing on a nearby boat came in for a trap on the
Connie. Our Air Boss and LSOs just kept their mouths shut and let him
land. Much smirking, pointing, and chuckles ensued. The pilot (an
LCDR, I think) took things in stride and asked the Air Boss if he
could launch and get a couple more traps on Connie so he could make
Centurion! Good on him! The Boss was happy to comply, and our visitor
regained considerable face! I don't think there was time to paint up
his Tomcat, but I rememeber a lot of unauthorized stickers on it
before it launched again. We put on an "Army, be all you can be" right
under the canopy.

Herbal

Bill Weibel
July 19th 03, 07:03 PM
I have photo of HS-9 Seaking "re-painted" to HC-2 aboard USS Shangri-La
after emergency repairs. If you want a copy email

Bill
"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> I still delight in those images of old of birds getting covered with
> graffiti for getting aboard the "wrong" boat. With the advent of these
days
> of few boats and lots of high-tech gizmos... sigh...
>
> I was wondering if during this latest conflict, somehow someone ended up
> where he/she shouldn't. And if that came to pass, was the LSO still
honored
> with the traditional case of whatever he/she likes to drink, and the deck
> hands were still allowed at least a couple of lines of profanity chalked
> over the bird?
> José Herculano

Google