PDA

View Full Version : "Whale" still "cutting-edge"

Chuck
July 7th 03, 01:34 PM
This is not a plug for ABC's "Threat Matrix" as I've not seen the pilot
program, and pre-reviews are iffy.

But it sure caught my attention when I saw an A3D/A-3 Skywarrior/Whale
in some promo clips of the program which will air Thursdays this fall.
The promos promise "cutting-edge technology" with the Homeland Security
anti-terrorist plots in the series.

Took me back many years to when I was a plankowner in VAH-1 when the
atom bomber A3D-1 joined the fleet, complete with tail turrets; and to
cutting-edge technology with A3D-2Qs in VQ-2 from 1960 to 1963.

The "whale" used in "Threat Matrix" is apparently one of Raytheon's,
which continues to fly them as testbeds, and provided a static display
and flyby October 2002, on the 50 anniversary of the first flight.

Chuck Huber (VC-8, VAH-1, FAITCLANT, VQ-2)

HEAVY ATTACK COMPOSITE (VC-5,6,7,8,9) WEBSITE
http://community.webtv.net/charles379/USNComposite

FAIRECONRON ONE AND TWO (VQ-1/2) CASUALTIES
http://www.anzwers.org/free/navyscpo4/Chuck_Huber_AirCrew.html

Google