PDA

View Full Version : So long

Ian
November 29th 09, 05:36 PM
Dear All

It's been a while since I've been much of a contributor here, but I've
been around since about 1992, when I took up gliding. No more, though
- my Pirat went off to a new home today and I am now officially an ex
glider pilot ... for the next few years I plan to concentrate on
sailing.

I'd therefore like to say a hearty thanks and goodbye to all those I
have talked to, argued with and learned from on here. Good flying to
you all.

Ian

Dave Doe
November 30th 09, 01:15 AM
In article <f4dcb585-a19e-41fd-9af1-c17ace201eb1
@d21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, says...

> Dear All
>
> It's been a while since I've been much of a contributor here, but I've
> been around since about 1992, when I took up gliding. No more, though
> - my Pirat went off to a new home today and I am now officially an ex
> glider pilot ... for the next few years I plan to concentrate on
> sailing.

It's no cheaper! :)

--
Duncan.

glidergeek
November 30th 09, 04:22 AM
No not cheaper, you could drown, get eaten by sharks and no way could
you do 500k in 4-5 hours. And really....what do you do if the wind
stops? hahaaaaaaaaaa. Couldn't resist that one, get it? In a glider
you just glide, in a sailboat you gotta start the motor, what if the
motor wont start? You'll be screwed matie.

ZZ
November 30th 09, 04:58 AM
Ian

I did that once...just once. I discovered that I could not overcome
motion sickness while in the boat. I went back to flying gliders.
Perhaps you will return too someday.

Regardless, good luck.

Paul
ZZ

Ian wrote:
> Dear All
>
> It's been a while since I've been much of a contributor here, but I've
> been around since about 1992, when I took up gliding. No more, though
> - my Pirat went off to a new home today and I am now officially an ex
> glider pilot ... for the next few years I plan to concentrate on
> sailing.
>
> I'd therefore like to say a hearty thanks and goodbye to all those I
> have talked to, argued with and learned from on here. Good flying to
> you all.
>
> Ian

Pete[_5_]
November 30th 09, 05:00 AM
On Nov 29, 7:22*pm, glidergeek > wrote:
> No not cheaper, you could drown, get eaten by sharks and no way could
> you do 500k in 4-5 hours. And really....what do you do if the wind
> stops? hahaaaaaaaaaa. Couldn't resist that one, get it? In a glider
> you just glide, in a sailboat you gotta start the motor, what if the
> motor wont start? You'll be screwed matie.

He's right, as a sailboater, you have bigger problem now but what you
need is more help from a soaring friend, in this case, a British
Seagull motor.

Jim Logajan
November 30th 09, 05:57 AM
Ian > wrote:
> It's been a while since I've been much of a contributor here, but I've
> been around since about 1992, when I took up gliding. No more, though
> - my Pirat went off to a new home today and I am now officially an ex
> glider pilot ... for the next few years I plan to concentrate on
> sailing.
>
> I'd therefore like to say a hearty thanks and goodbye to all those I
> have talked to, argued with and learned from on here. Good flying to
> you all.

But I only just got here (relatively speaking!) Have fun sailing - I still
have a very old copy of "Chapman Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat
Handling" when I took a short stab at it a couple decades ago. At least in
gliding I don't have to learn how to tie those bloody knots!

Remember the old adage: a boat is a hole in the water in which you throw
your money. But is there a similar adage about gliding?

Google