PDA

View Full Version : Re: Su-27SK(Upgraded), Su-27KUB & new Flanker book

Thomas J. Paladino Jr.
July 27th 03, 10:17 PM
"Ken Duffey" > wrote in message
> If anyone is interested........
>
> I have just added a page of photos to my Flankers website showing the
> new Su-27SK(Upgraded)variant - plus a few new photos of the Su-27KUB
> side-by-side naval variant.
>
> I have also added a short review of a new book by Andrei Fomin on the
> Su-33 & Su-27KUB.
>
> If you go to http://www.flankers.co.uk/ then click on Flankers,
> Variants - then the appropriate link for the new Su-27SKU & Su-27KUB
> pages.
>
> Clicking on Flankers, Flanker References, Su-33 Naval Epic should take
> you to the book review.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Ken Duffey

Nice page... Maybe you know the answer to this question....

Why do the Russians always paint their instrument panel in that horrible
shade of light blue. It makes them look unbelievably chintzy and cluttered,
regardless of the aircraft or it's technology. It looks even worse when they
invariably get older and more used and dirty. Even the Flanker and Blackjack
cockpits look like something right out of a 1970's Caddilac pimpmobile with
that color. What's wrong with black and dark grey? Hides the dirt, looks
cool and modern.

Ivan Jozic
July 27th 03, 11:25 PM
"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." > wrote in message
> Why do the Russians always paint their instrument panel in that horrible
> shade of light blue. It makes them look unbelievably chintzy and
cluttered,
> that color. What's wrong with black and dark grey? Hides the dirt, looks
> cool and modern.

And tires your eyes more because the sky around you is light blue..

Thomas J. Paladino Jr.
July 28th 03, 02:12 AM
"Ivan Jozic" > wrote in message
> "Thomas J. Paladino Jr." > wrote in message
> > Why do the Russians always paint their instrument panel in that horrible
> > shade of light blue. It makes them look unbelievably chintzy and
> cluttered,
> > that color. What's wrong with black and dark grey? Hides the dirt, looks
> > cool and modern.
>
> And tires your eyes more because the sky around you is light blue..

Oh come on. You've got to do better than that. Do they not plan to fly their
planes at night? Most modern combat missions are flown in pitch black
nowadays anyway. Lightly-painted cockpit panels will reflect far more
ambient cockpit light than flat-black or grey ones, potentially diminishing
a pilot's night vision.

And even during the day, how much can it possibly tire your eyes to look at
a grey panel? I fly a Cessna for hours on end, and it has a dark grey panel,
and dosen't hurt my eyes in the least (I know it's not a fighter jet, but
still, eyes are eyes). I would have to believe that if there was any real
truth to the fact that there is any real benefit nowadays towards having
shiny powder-blue cockpit panels, western fighters would do the same.

MikeT
July 28th 03, 03:49 AM
> Nice page... Maybe you know the answer to this question....
>
> Why do the Russians always paint their instrument panel in that horrible
> shade of light blue. It makes them look unbelievably chintzy and
cluttered,
> regardless of the aircraft or it's technology.

If memory is correct their doctors have determined that it is the best color
for pilots and they eyes.

The US Navy did similiar studies on the effects of color and crew
operations.

MikeT

Rufus
July 28th 03, 07:53 PM
MikeT wrote:

>>Nice page... Maybe you know the answer to this question....
>>
>>Why do the Russians always paint their instrument panel in that horrible
>>shade of light blue. It makes them look unbelievably chintzy and
>
> cluttered,
>
>>regardless of the aircraft or it's technology.
>

> If memory is correct their doctors have determined that it is the best color
> for pilots and they eyes.
>
> The US Navy did similiar studies on the effects of color and crew
> operations.
>
> MikeT

Back when I was doing a bit of night-vision oriented work we got
comments about printing things on pink (salmon) colored paper - comment
was that that was most readable.

--
- Rufus

Google