PDA

View Full Version : Flight Lessons

Charles Talleyrand
August 3rd 03, 04:01 AM
I'm curious how Air Force/Navy pilots get their wings? Do they go to some place like Emory-Riddle and fly Cessna 172s. Do they get
instrument ratings in these 172s? What's the transition to 'real iron'?

Basically, what's a newly minted Air Force/Navy pilot's logbook look like and where did he got those hours?

S. Sampson
August 3rd 03, 05:10 AM
"Charles Talleyrand" > wrote

> I'm curious how Air Force/Navy pilots get their wings? Do they go to
> some place like Emory-Riddle and fly Cessna 172s. Do they get
> instrument ratings in these 172s? What's the transition to 'real iron'?
>
> Basically, what's a newly minted Air Force/Navy pilot's logbook look
> like and where did he got those hours?

This page is a good example of ROTC training

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/AFAS/Cadets/guide/pilotnavtrain.html

John Carrier
August 3rd 03, 12:26 PM
USN gets about 60 hours primary training in T-34C (or USAF T-37 ... its a
joint world). If he's a strike student, he continues with intermediate in
the T-2 and advanced in the T-45 OR just a combined strike syllabus in T-45
only. (T-2 will retire next year.) He'll accumulate maybe 275 hours in the
primary/intermediate/advanced syllabus ... about 250 or so in the T-45 only
program.

Students may have prior time (I've seen 'em with up to 1500 hours civilian
time) but its not required. Previous experience usually helps until about
half way through. All the Cessna time in the world won't matter when they
start doing formation, tac forms, weaps, acm, etc.

R / John

"Charles Talleyrand" > wrote in message
> I'm curious how Air Force/Navy pilots get their wings? Do they go to some
place like Emory-Riddle and fly Cessna 172s. Do they get
> instrument ratings in these 172s? What's the transition to 'real iron'?
>
> Basically, what's a newly minted Air Force/Navy pilot's logbook look like
and where did he got those hours?

Charles Talleyrand
August 4th 03, 04:16 AM
"S. Sampson" > wrote in message . ..
> This page is a good example of ROTC training
>
> http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/AFAS/Cadets/guide/pilotnavtrain.html

Much Thanks. Did you notice the picture is a C-152 and the text says everyone train in a C-172?

Google