PDA

View Full Version : Quaere: How did USN designate deployments during the viet Nam era?

Lawrence Dillard
August 4th 03, 08:19 AM
Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier deployments were
named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if so, what was the name by
which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

Thomas Schoene
August 5th 03, 02:50 AM
"Lawrence Dillard" > wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier
> deployments were named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if
> so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
> Thanks for any info.

There are lists of deployments here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf

There was no numbering or naming scheme per se. Battlegroups are named for
the carrier around which they are formed, and each deployment is usually
described by its dates and destination, but the latter is unofficial. One
might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968 Westpac (western pacific)
cruise but I odn't think there was any official code name for sequence
number for that deployment.

I'll leave it to someone else to figure out whaich was the final Vietnam
deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt ways to decide that (last combat
missions, last overflights, etc.)

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Matt Wiser
August 7th 03, 10:44 AM
"Thomas Schoene" > wrote:
>"Lawrence Dillard" >
>wrote in message

>> Can anyone tell me the system by which USN
>Aircraft Carrier
>> deployments were named or numbered during
>the Viet Nam era?; and if
>> so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier
>deployment was known?
>> Thanks for any info.
>
>There are lists of deployments here:
>
>http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm
>
>http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf
>
>There was no numbering or naming scheme per
>se. Battlegroups are named for
>the carrier around which they are formed, and
>each deployment is usually
>described by its dates and destination, but
>the latter is unofficial. One
>might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968
>Westpac (western pacific)
>cruise but I odn't think there was any official
>code name for sequence
>number for that deployment.
>
>I'll leave it to someone else to figure out
>whaich was the final Vietnam
>deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt
>ways to decide that (last combat
>missions, last overflights, etc.)
>
>--
>Tom Schoene Replace "invalid"
>with "net" to e-mail
>"If brave men and women never died, there would
>be nothing
>special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney
>(attributed)

Wouldn't the carriers participating in the Saigon evacuation and the Myaguez
rescue be the last deployments? There were four carriers for Saigon: Coral
Sea and Enterprise to cover the evac, and Enterprise had the first two F-14
squadrons on that cruise; plus Midway and Hancock as helo carriers for the
USAF and Marines. Coral Sea flew strikes during the Myaguez incident later
on.

Joe Osman
August 7th 03, 04:28 PM
Matt Wiser wrote:

> "Thomas Schoene" > wrote:
> >"Lawrence Dillard" >
> >wrote in message
>
> >> Can anyone tell me the system by which USN
> >Aircraft Carrier
> >> deployments were named or numbered during
> >the Viet Nam era?; and if
> >> so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier
> >deployment was known?
> >> Thanks for any info.
> >
> >There are lists of deployments here:
> >
> >http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm
> >
> >http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf
> >
> >There was no numbering or naming scheme per
> >se. Battlegroups are named for
> >the carrier around which they are formed, and
> >each deployment is usually
> >described by its dates and destination, but
> >the latter is unofficial. One
> >might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968
> >Westpac (western pacific)
> >cruise but I odn't think there was any official
> >code name for sequence
> >number for that deployment.
> >
> >I'll leave it to someone else to figure out
> >whaich was the final Vietnam
> >deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt
> >ways to decide that (last combat
> >missions, last overflights, etc.)
> >
> >--
> >Tom Schoene Replace "invalid"
> >with "net" to e-mail
> >"If brave men and women never died, there would
> >be nothing
> >special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney
> >(attributed)
> >

> Wouldn't the carriers participating in the Saigon evacuation and the Myaguez
> rescue be the last deployments? There were four carriers for Saigon: Coral
> Sea and Enterprise to cover the evac, and Enterprise had the first two F-14
> squadrons on that cruise; plus Midway and Hancock as helo carriers for the
> USAF and Marines. Coral Sea flew strikes during the Myaguez incident later
> on.

There was also Operation Eagle Pull-the evacuation of Phnom
Penh, Cambodia on April 12, 1975.

Joe

s.p.i.
August 8th 03, 01:34 AM
"Lawrence Dillard" > wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier deployments were
> named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if so, what was the name by
> which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
> Thanks for any info.

Check out this link:
http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP26.PDF

Google