PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dinner vs. Lunch

Robert Moore
August 10th 03, 07:05 PM
"Digital Dreamer" > wrote

> Which is the proper name for the noon meal aboard ship in the
> USN; lunch or dinner?

My dicionary defines lunch as the mid-day meal and supper
as the last or evening meal of the day. Dinner is defined
as the main meal of the day. Back where I came from, on
Sunday, dinner was served at lunch time, but the rest of
the week, dinner was served at supper time. :-)

Bob

Pechs1
August 11th 03, 02:13 PM
DD-<< Which is the proper name for the noon meal aboard ship in the
> USN; lunch or dinner? >><BR><BR>

Chow....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Peter Bjoern
August 11th 03, 06:20 PM
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:42:38 -0700, "Digital Dreamer" > wrote in
rec.aviation.military.naval:

>Which is the proper name for the noon meal aboard ship in the USN; lunch or
>dinner? Is there a document that refers? The below thread on 1-MC use
>reminded me of a lively discussion I was party to at a PB4T on an Aegis CG
>in the late 90's. The XO was reviewing a standard "script" for all POOW to
>use inport, and at the time the ship was passing, "Lunch for the crew." I
>asserted that the traditional and proper word to be passed for the three
>meals was "Breakfast... "Dinner... and "Supper for the crew". The XO opted
>for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner because of their prevalence in modern
>useage.
>
>-DD

Lunch seems to be the proper name.

Check "Food Preparation Worksheet" :