August 10th 03, 09:08 PM
U.S. Navy looks to blimps as anti-terror tool

(EXCERPT), by Jennifer C. Kerr ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:16 p.m., August 8, 2003

MANASSAS, Va. – The military is looking to something old as a new
weapon in the war on terrorism: blimps.

The blimps wouldn't be like those that hover over football stadiums
and concerts. These would be equipped with cutting-edge sensors and
high-resolution cameras that could scour the landscape or oceans.

Think of it as a 200-foot-long eye in the sky.

The Office of Naval Research is working with Honolulu-based Science &
Technology International to develop the idea.

From thousands of feet up, STI's advanced o...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 10 Aug 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20030807-1416-terrorism-blimps.html

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

Longtailedlizard
August 10th 03, 09:36 PM
>MANASSAS, Va. – The military is looking to something old as a new
>weapon in the war on terrorism: blimps.

Who's got orders to ZP-1???
This might give the VP boys a run for their money. ;)

Tiger
August 20th 03, 02:29 AM
Well It would keep Lakehurst in the lighter than air biz......

Otis Willie wrote:

> U.S. Navy looks to blimps as anti-terror tool
>
> (EXCERPT), by Jennifer C. Kerr ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> 2:16 p.m., August 8, 2003
>
> MANASSAS, Va. ? The military is looking to something old as a new
> weapon in the war on terrorism: blimps.
>
> The blimps wouldn't be like those that hover over football stadiums
> and concerts. These would be equipped with cutting-edge sensors and
> high-resolution cameras that could scour the landscape or oceans.
>
> Think of it as a 200-foot-long eye in the sky.
>
> The Office of Naval Research is working with Honolulu-based Science &
> Technology International to develop the idea.
>
> From thousands of feet up, STI's advanced o...
>
> U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
> copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
> cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
> in full today, 10 Aug 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
> the following lines into your web browser.) The
> subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
> viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
> for your information and discussion.
>
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20030807-1416-terrorism-blimps.html
>
> ---------------------------
> Otis Willie
> Associate Librarian
> The American War Library
> http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

Ron
August 25th 03, 01:04 AM
It seems like not that long ago, the DOD was looking to blimps as a weapon
in the war on drugs. Whatever happened to that idea? ISTR something about
a blimp tethered at Ft. Huachuca, AZ designed to peer over the Mexican
border and....???... see drugs??? ...or something.

Tiger > wrote in message
> Well It would keep Lakehurst in the lighter than air biz......
>
> Otis Willie wrote:
>
> > U.S. Navy looks to blimps as anti-terror tool
> >
> > (EXCERPT), by Jennifer C. Kerr ASSOCIATED PRESS
> >
> > 2:16 p.m., August 8, 2003
> >
> > MANASSAS, Va. ? The military is looking to something old as a new
> > weapon in the war on terrorism: blimps.

Leanne
September 3rd 03, 01:30 PM
The last time we were in Key West there was a tethered blimp one or two keys up
from there that was supposed to be looking towards the south for druggies...

"Ron" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> It seems like not that long ago, the DOD was looking to blimps as a weapon
> in the war on drugs. Whatever happened to that idea? ISTR something about
> a blimp tethered at Ft. Huachuca, AZ designed to peer over the Mexican
> border and....???... see drugs??? ...or something.

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
September 3rd 03, 02:56 PM
On 9/3/03 7:30 AM, in article , "Leanne"
> wrote:

> The last time we were in Key West there was a tethered blimp one or two keys
> up
> from there that was supposed to be looking towards the south for druggies...
>

> "Ron" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> It seems like not that long ago, the DOD was looking to blimps as a weapon
>> in the war on drugs. Whatever happened to that idea? ISTR something about
>> a blimp tethered at Ft. Huachuca, AZ designed to peer over the Mexican
>> border and....???... see drugs??? ...or something.

I can think of three off the top of my head...

There are two on the U.S. southern border with Mexico that are high up. In
fact, on EGPWS, they register as obstacles.

There is another (as the previous poster mentioned) in Key West which they
reel in and out occasionally.

--Woody

James Woody
September 4th 03, 02:06 AM
And they could re-open Tustin LTA in California.

Woody

Tiger wrote:
> Well It would keep Lakehurst in the lighter than air biz......
>
> Otis Willie wrote:
>

>>U.S. Navy looks to blimps as anti-terror tool
>>
>>(EXCERPT), by Jennifer C. Kerr ASSOCIATED PRESS
>>
>>2:16 p.m., August 8, 2003
>>
>>MANASSAS, Va. ? The military is looking to something old as a new
>>weapon in the war on terrorism: blimps.
>>
>>The blimps wouldn't be like those that hover over football stadiums
>>and concerts. These would be equipped with cutting-edge sensors and
>>high-resolution cameras that could scour the landscape or oceans.
>>
>>Think of it as a 200-foot-long eye in the sky.
>>
>>The Office of Naval Research is working with Honolulu-based Science &
>>Technology International to develop the idea.
>>
>>From thousands of feet up, STI's advanced o...
>>
>> U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
>> copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
>> cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
>> in full today, 10 Aug 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
>> the following lines into your web browser.) The
>> subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
>> viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
>> for your information and discussion.
>>
>>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20030807-1416-terrorism-blimps.html

>> Otis Willie
>> Associate Librarian