PDA

View Full Version : Callsigns from hell...

José Herculano
August 18th 03, 08:43 PM
http://homepage3.nifty.com/YOKOTA/NF313.jpg

_____________
José Herculano

Larry
August 19th 03, 02:29 AM
I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when did they
combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?

Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> http://homepage3.nifty.com/YOKOTA/NF313.jpg
>
> _____________
> José Herculano

Larry
August 19th 03, 05:22 AM
> I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain. ;)
I was told it means "a Whiner" :-)

larry

"Leanne" > wrote in message
> > I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when did
they
> > combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?
>
> I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain. ;)
>
> > Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!
>
> Well!!!!!!!!! We know you are...
>

> Leanne B

Brad Colip
August 19th 03, 05:55 AM
Isn't this a violation of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" legacy of the Clinton
era?

BC

"Larry" > wrote in message
> > I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain.
;)
> I was told it means "a Whiner" :-)
>
> larry
>

> "Leanne" > wrote in message
> > > I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when
did
> they
> > > combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?
> >
> > I thought the (AW) was so that he could work on the plane in the rain.
;)

> > > Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!
> >
> > Well!!!!!!!!! We know you are...
> >

> > Leanne B

Elmshoot
August 19th 03, 03:49 PM
There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name was
Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
"Fudge"
My call sign, "Sparky"

C Lee
August 22nd 03, 01:59 AM
I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".

Giz
"Elmshoot" > wrote in message
> There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name
was
> Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
> "Fudge"
> My call sign, "Sparky"

Bob McKellar
August 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
C Lee wrote:

> I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".
>
> Giz
> "Elmshoot" > wrote in message
> > There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name
> was
> > Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
> > "Fudge"
> > My call sign, "Sparky"

A few questions about the whole call sign thingie:

1: When did it start?

2. Is there an official component to this silliness, such as a central
registry? Is it on a squadron level or higher up?

2 (A). So what about duplicates/recycling?

3. Is this a Navy/USMC only practice?

Bob McKellar

Elmshoot
August 22nd 03, 05:07 AM
Bob,
There is nothing official about callsigns. In WW 2 my dad was the senior naval
aviator on board the Chicago a Light Cruiser. He flew the SC-1 Seahawk from
that ship for spotting the bombardment of Japan, anyway the ships call sign was
Malicious. Each of the pilots went by the card deck. My dad was Ace, then King,
Queen and Jack for each of the 4 pilots aboard. As a tribute to my dad I lead
several flights as Malicious flight. I was Ace then each wingman in order went
as King, Queen and Jack. I'm sure the other guys had no idea what was going on.
Maybe I should have explained the significance to them. I will be burying my
dad in Arlington this November.

On Enterprise we were the set for the movie Topgun. While on cruise we finaly
had a chance to view the movie on a port call in Perth Aus. The CO of one of
the fighter squadrons (Meatball, ( due to similar physical build)) said thet
the next nugget pilot and RIO who checked int the squadron would be Maverick
and Goose.

Sparky

>A few questions about the whole call sign thingie:
>
>1: When did it start?
>
>2. Is there an official component to this silliness, such as a central
>registry? Is it on a squadron level or higher up?
>
>2 (A). So what about duplicates/recycling?
>
>3. Is this a Navy/USMC only practice?
>
>Bob McKellar

Frank Minich
August 22nd 03, 04:47 PM
One of the RANs wrote up a gripe and used the term "dash" instead of
instrument panel - his handle was "Dash" from that point on.

Hugh Alcock, an AI, became "Huge".

Frank

"Mike Kanze" > wrote in message
> > There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first
name
> was Larry but I don't remember. Call sign "Fudge"
>
> I've known a couple of "Meat" Packers.
>
> Then there was one of our 1973 VA-95 nuggets who was known - for reasons
of
> personality - as "Asshole". No punches pulled in Medium Attack.
>
> --
> Mike Kanze
>
> 436 Greenbrier Road
> Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
> USA
>
> 650-726-7890
>
> "I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
> I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which
the
> usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
> running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
> does?"
>
> - Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News,
8-16-03)

> "Elmshoot" > wrote in message
> > There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first
name
> was
> > Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
> > "Fudge"
> > My call sign, "Sparky"

Mike Kanze
August 23rd 03, 02:41 AM
> Dick "Head" ...

One of our Dept Heads (first name Richard) was known - for a very short
time - as "Dick Dupp", or just plain "Dupp" for short. Not because of
anything he did - which was probably why it didn't last more than 2 - 3
weeks.

--

"John R Weiss" > wrote in message
> "C Lee" > wrote...
> > I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".
>
> "Highway" Hershey
>
> Dick "Head" ...

Jake Donovan
August 23rd 03, 04:11 AM
Mike,

Nothing has changed. You only hear callsigns on the comms when it is
between aircraft and that is seldom. Now in the ready room, O'club.... that
is a different story.

You made me think of an old friend named Dick Richards. He was the lead
test pilot on the F/A-18 program with Ken Grubbs as #2.

You have to wonder what parent would name their child Richard Richards?
Well, Dick did pretty good for himself. Went on to NASA and flew 3 shuttle
missions. Grubbo is a test pilot at Lockheed. He was one of 2 Navy test
pilots who flew the F117 program out of Tonopah before they went public.

JD

"Mike Kanze" > wrote in message
> Not trying to pick a nit here, but what we're really talking about here
are
> individuals' squadron nicknames - NOT callsigns.
>
> The only time I ever heard radio transmissions directed to "Foggy" Bottom
or
> "Smokey" Stover was over the squadron base frequency. At all other times
> (in the pattern, talking to ARTCC, etc.) it was "Lizard 504" or "Navy
> 95512".
>
> Unless things have changed and RT discipline has taken a weird turn since
> last flew, I think a part of the problem lies with the movie TOP GUN,
where
> "Maverick", "Slider", "Charlie", etc. are referred to as callsigns.
>
> --
> Mike Kanze
>
> 436 Greenbrier Road
> Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
> USA
>
> 650-726-7890
>
> "I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
> I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which
the
> usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
> running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
> does?"
>
> - Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News,
8-16-03)

> "Bob McKellar" > wrote in message
> >

> > C Lee wrote:
> >
> > > I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".
> > >
> > > Giz
> name
> > > was
> >
> > A few questions about the whole call sign thingie:
> >
> > 1: When did it start?
> >
> > 2. Is there an official component to this silliness, such as a central
> > registry? Is it on a squadron level or higher up?
> >
> > 2 (A). So what about duplicates/recycling?
> >
> > 3. Is this a Navy/USMC only practice?
> >
> > Bob McKellar

Red
August 23rd 03, 07:16 AM
> "John R Weiss" > wrote in message
> > "C Lee" > wrote...
> > > I flew with a "Fudge" Packard and a D'jock "Strap".
> >
> > "Highway" Hershey
> >
> > Dick "Head" ...

I knew several Dick Head's, but I don't recall any that were named Richard
or Head

Red

BUFDRVR
August 23rd 03, 12:58 PM
>"Highway" Hershey
>
>Dick "Head" ...

"Gotno" Johnson

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 25th 03, 05:16 PM
On 8/23/03 6:58 AM, in article ,
"BUFDRVR" > wrote:

>> "Highway" Hershey
>>
>> Dick "Head" ...
>>

> "Gotno" Johnson
>

> BUFDRVR
>
> "Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it harelips
> everyone on Bear Creek"

On that note, I've known his "brothers" Tiny, Crusty, and Rubma. Come to
think of it, I've known a Notso Swift and a Notso Wise too.

--Woody

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 25th 03, 05:18 PM
On 8/19/03 9:49 AM, in article ,
"Elmshoot" > wrote:

> There was a Tomcat with the guys last name was Packer maybe his first name was
> Larry but I don't remember. Call sign
> "Fudge"
> My call sign, "Sparky"

Fudge was a Blue Angel for a while and now flies F-15's with the Oregon
Guard.

--Woody

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 25th 03, 05:21 PM
They combined the ratings about a year ago. I'm not sure my squadron
actually has taken it onboard with the AME's though. We seem to have the
same AME's segregated in their shop and the AMS/AMH's are still in their
shop.

They're all AM's on paper though.

--Woody

On 8/18/03 8:29 PM, in article , "Larry"
> wrote:

> I can't help but notice the Plane Captain is an "AM3" (AW), so when did they
> combine AME, AMH, and AMS ratings?
>
> Feeling more like an "old fart" every day, definitely before my time!
>
> Larry
> AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
> Disabled Combat Veteran
> USN Retired
>
> 20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
> and getting further away every day ;-)
>

> "José Herculano" > wrote in message
>> http://homepage3.nifty.com/YOKOTA/NF313.jpg
>>
>> _____________
>> José Herculano

Walt BJ
August 26th 03, 02:59 AM
Had a colleague named Wright whose nickname was 'Seldom'.
Walt BJ

Elmshoot
August 26th 03, 03:56 AM
WE had two guys in our squadron who were unrelated.
Greg Elcock and Fred Adcock. Yep they became known as the Cock brothers, EL and
AD. Even ran an article in the base newspaper while on cruise what a hoot.
Then we had a LT. in VAQ-35 who arrived with a call sign of "floater"
Apparently her RAG class went on a ski trip and had an Admin in one of the
hotels. She went into the bathroom by herself. The next guy into the head
discovered a floater left behind. She denied even using that appliance but the
callsign stuck and she would go out of her way to try to stop it.
Sparky

Frank Minich
August 26th 03, 04:16 PM
> They're all AM's on paper though.
>
> --Woody

Yikes!

AMS playing with explosive devices.

I don't like the sounds of that.

Frank

Herb Arnold
August 26th 03, 04:20 PM
And let's not forget LT Mike Pabst, call sign "Smear", or LT Matt
Seaman, call sign "Spurt". God Bless vulgarity, poor taste and Naval
Aviation forever. Amen.

Herbal

Allen Epps
August 26th 03, 05:36 PM
In article >, Elmshoot
> wrote:

> WE had two guys in our squadron who were unrelated.
> Greg Elcock and Fred Adcock. Yep they became known as the Cock brothers, EL
> and
> AD. Even ran an article in the base newspaper while on cruise what a hoot.
> Then we had a LT. in VAQ-35 who arrived with a call sign of "floater"
> Apparently her RAG class went on a ski trip and had an Admin in one of the
> hotels. She went into the bathroom by herself. The next guy into the head
> discovered a floater left behind. She denied even using that appliance but the
> callsign stuck and she would go out of her way to try to stop it.
> Sparky

Ahhh good old floater. Legend in her own mind.
Pugs

BUFDRVR
August 26th 03, 11:29 PM
>She denied even using that appliance but the
>callsign stuck and she would go out of her way to try to stop it.

Which is the #1 way of making sure the call sign sticks!

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 26th 03, 11:43 PM
On 8/26/03 10:16 AM, in article , "Frank Minich"
> wrote:

>> They're all AM's on paper though.
>>
>> --Woody
>
> Yikes!
>
> AMS playing with explosive devices.
>
> I don't like the sounds of that.
>
> Frank

I'm with you. I'm not going to defend it either.

--Woody

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 26th 03, 11:47 PM
On 8/26/03 5:29 PM, in article ,
"BUFDRVR" > wrote:

>> She denied even using that appliance but the
>> callsign stuck and she would go out of her way to try to stop it.
>
> Which is the #1 way of making sure the call sign sticks!
>

> BUFDRVR
>
> "Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it harelips
> everyone on Bear Creek"

We had a ground pounder do that during one of our "Name the New Guy" Games
in the RR. I happened to be the host that day. His last name was Boone.
We put up the standard...

Ace
Lefty
Snake
Booger
Butch and so on...

Then we took suggestions from the peanut gallery and somebody shouted

"Daniel!"

Then there was a

"Pat!"

"Ain't none of you sons-a-bitches calling me PAT!" Fumed the new MMCO...

"Pat it is," I said. Of course the whole room full of JO's agreed. He
couldn't get rid of it. You'd think a guy with that much sea time would
have known better.

--Woody

Legal Tender
August 28th 03, 02:40 PM
Spoken like a AMH...
Frank

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote in message
> On 8/26/03 10:16 AM, in article , "Frank
Minich"
> > wrote:
>
> >> They're all AM's on paper though.
> >>
> >> --Woody
> >
> > Yikes!
> >
> > AMS playing with explosive devices.
> >
> > I don't like the sounds of that.
> >
> > Frank
> >

> I'm with you. I'm not going to defend it either.
>
> --Woody

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 29th 03, 11:04 AM
On 8/28/03 8:40 AM, in article , "Legal Tender"
> wrote:

> Spoken like a AMH...
> Frank

Try CDR

> "Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote in message
>> On 8/26/03 10:16 AM, in article , "Frank
> Minich"

>>> Yikes!
>>>
>>> AMS playing with explosive devices.
>>>
>>> I don't like the sounds of that.
>>>
>>> Frank
>>>

>> I'm with you. I'm not going to defend it either.
>>
>> --Woody

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 30th 03, 04:07 AM
On 8/29/03 9:35 AM, in article , "Legal Tender"
> wrote:

> I should have said "spoken like a AMH or Officer..
> Frank

Yep...

Wasn't smart enough to be an AMH.

--Woody

> "Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote in message
>> On 8/28/03 8:40 AM, in article , "Legal Tender"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Spoken like a AMH...
>>> Frank
>>
>> Try CDR

>>> Minich"

Legal Tender
August 30th 03, 04:44 PM
Sure you were, anybody is at least smart enough to be a AMH..!!
All joking aside if I remember right during the 50's you were AMS or AMH
until you made 2nd, then you were AM.
Sometime by the early 60's they split it again until you made E-9.
They have been talking for years about combining the 2 rates as well as
others Black shoe and Airedale.
Frank

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote in message
> On 8/29/03 9:35 AM, in article , "Legal Tender"
> > wrote:
>
> > I should have said "spoken like a AMH or Officer..
> > Frank
> >

> Yep...
>
> Wasn't smart enough to be an AMH.
>
> --Woody
>
> > "Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote in message
> >> On 8/28/03 8:40 AM, in article , "Legal Tender"

> >> Try CDR

message

Google