PDA

View Full Version : Re: On the subject of callsigns - what was the most preposterous you have seen?

Giz
August 19th 03, 06:29 PM
"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
> Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.
>
> Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
> _____________
> José Herculano

I have flown with a D'jock "Strap" and a "Fudge" Packard.

Giz

Bob McKellar
August 19th 03, 10:22 PM
Giz wrote:

> "José Herculano" > wrote in message
> > This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
> > Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.
> >
> > Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
> > _____________
> > José Herculano
> >

> I have flown with a D'jock "Strap" and a "Fudge" Packard.
>
> Giz

At an air show at MCAS Beaufort I saw "Rat Breath" and "Puke"
lettered under the canopies of one particular jet.

Bob McKellar

Mike Kanze
August 20th 03, 04:34 AM
George "Panty" Shields. (Not sure of the first name here.)
Roy "H. Rap Seagull" Seth.
--
Mike "Owl" Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> [rest snipped]

Pechs1
August 20th 03, 02:26 PM
Jose-<< Please do share the most preposterous you have come across. >><BR><BR>

Say my name quicky, 'Pete Chisholm', like I did on the first day in the F-4
RAG...instructor looked at me kinda wierd after he asked and I said my
name-'Peaches??", no I said Pete Chisholm...and I couldn't get rid of that damn
thing for the next 18 years.

Jeeeezussss I hated that thing.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
August 20th 03, 02:29 PM
Had 'Boots' Brathun, first F-4 cat shot in VF-151, over-rotated like you read
about-saw his 'boots'...

We went into his stateroom, packed his bags, put the COD sked on the board,
had a going away party for him..said he was fired, thought the guy was gonna
cry..he never over rotated again
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

August 20th 03, 02:56 PM
Another not so preposterous but my son's callsign is, "Piddle,"
...very small bladder!!

GW

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:04:36 -0500, Charlie Wolf
> wrote:

>This isn't really "preposterous" but -
>
>We had a JO in our squadron whose nickname was "Splash" Coughlin. He
>got the nick shortly after he walked off the edge of the flight deck
>one night while pre-flighting the tail section of an S-3 - which was
>hanging over the deck edge.
>Regards,
>
>On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:51:52 +0100, "José Herculano"
> wrote:
>
>>This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
>>Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.
>>
>>Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
>>_____________
>>José Herculano

Ed Rasimus
August 20th 03, 03:43 PM
"Mike Kanze" > wrote:

>George "Panty" Shields. (Not sure of the first name here.)
>Roy "H. Rap Seagull" Seth.

I feel pretty sure, but I'll ask anyway--that wouldn't be the George
Shields who got a MiG-21 on 9/12/72 in an F-4E from the 34th TFS at
Korat in the pit of Mike Mahaffey?

We called him "George of the Jungle".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Mike Kanze
August 20th 03, 07:48 PM
Ed,

No. This "George" was a USN type, from a later era.

Again, I'm not certain of the first name. And it wouldn't surprise me at
all if just about anyone in Naval Air with the last name of "Shields" wound
up carrying the "Panty" moniker sometime during their flying career.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> "Mike Kanze" > wrote:
>
> >George "Panty" Shields. (Not sure of the first name here.)
> >Roy "H. Rap Seagull" Seth.
>

> I feel pretty sure, but I'll ask anyway--that wouldn't be the George
> Shields who got a MiG-21 on 9/12/72 in an F-4E from the 34th TFS at
> Korat in the pit of Mike Mahaffey?
>
> We called him "George of the Jungle".
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (ret)
> ***"When Thunder Rolled:
> *** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
> *** from Smithsonian Books
> ISBN: 1588341038

vincent p. norris
August 21st 03, 02:19 AM
>Jim "Spurt" Seaman

For some reason, that reminds me we had a major, a great guy named
Terry Noble, who was known as "Tripod."

When his (beautiful) wife came to pick him up at the squadron, the car
was always full of kids.

Don't know if there's any cause-and-effect there.

vince norris

Mike Kanze
August 22nd 03, 02:14 AM
>My favorite callsigns were those of animals that truly reflected the
personality or appearance of the individual: "Turtle." "Snail," "Rabbit."

.. . . or "Dawg", one of my 1973 cruisemates aboard the CORAL MARU. A
homelier-looking fellow I've never seen.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze (whose looks and personality are not owlish)

"John Carrier" > wrote in message
> [rest snipped]

Walt BJ
August 22nd 03, 03:08 AM
I was thumbing through the JANAP call sign book once and came across
"Dingleberry" - it was a navy ship, forget what kind, DD maybe.
Walt BJ

John Alger
August 22nd 03, 04:04 AM
"José Herculano" > wrote in message >...

> Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.

Not very preposterous, but whilst in VT-24 we had a Marine instructor
with the moniker of "Brillo". Hair was just like a brillo pad, but he
was not a man of color.

Unlike "Peaches" I know one guy whose callsign changed over the years.
When we were going through training and for some years later he was
known as "Lurch", later as "Slim".

John "Spartan" Alger
Scooters, SLUFs, Hercs, and Orions

Mike Kanze
August 23rd 03, 02:25 AM
I spent my MIDN 3rd Class cruise on the USS BRAINE (DD-630), callsign
"Snowdrift".

One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
the callsign "Climax".

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

"Walt BJ" > wrote in message
om...
> I was thumbing through the JANAP call sign book once and came across
> "Dingleberry" - it was a navy ship, forget what kind, DD maybe.
> Walt BJ

John Carrier
August 23rd 03, 01:04 PM
Rampage -- Hancock

R / John

Mike Kanze
August 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms calling
themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.

--

"Elmshoot" > wrote in message

> >One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
> >the callsign "Climax".
> >

> Climax is Enterprise,
> Panther is Kitty Hawk
>
> Too many gin and Tonics to remember the rest.
>
> Sparky

Bob McKellar
August 23rd 03, 08:24 PM
Mike Kanze wrote:

> CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms calling
> themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.
>
> --
> Mike Kanze
>
> 436 Greenbrier Road
> Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
> USA
>
> 650-726-7890
>
> "I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
> I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
> usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
> running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
> does?"
>
> - Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)
>
> "Elmshoot" > wrote in message
> > >
> > >One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
> > >the callsign "Climax".
> > >

> > Climax is Enterprise,
> > Panther is Kitty Hawk
> >
> > Too many gin and Tonics to remember the rest.
> >
> > Sparky

My only ship, W.S.Sims (DE-1059) was "Credit Clerk".

That did not lead to much bragging at the club.

A clear winner in the category "Least Macho Call Sign".

Bob McKellar

Bill Kambic
August 23rd 03, 09:01 PM
"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

<snipped for brevity>

> My only ship, W.S.Sims (DE-1059) was "Credit Clerk".
>
> That did not lead to much bragging at the club.
>
> A clear winner in the category "Least Macho Call Sign".

oh yeah? Oh Yeah? OH YEAH?!?!?!?!?!

How 'bout "Tacky Botfly?" USS BLANDY (DD-943), Summer of '67.

Bill Kambic

P.S. Sorry for the macho thing, but when you got a call sign like that you
get into a fair number of scapes! :-)

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

vincent p. norris
August 24th 03, 01:51 AM
>One of the carriers we operated with that summer (can't recall which) had
>the callsign "Climax".

Probably in honor of a town of that name in Colorado.

Some years ago, a resident of that town wrote a letter to The Wretched
Mess News (a great little newspaper published in West Yellowstone),
"You have no idea how fatiguing it is to be in Climax 24 hours a day."

vince norris

Pechs1
August 24th 03, 01:44 PM
Story went like this. When the F-14 RAG was co-habitating weith the F-4 rag at
Oceana(I think). Since the F-14 was the 'Tomcat', guys would clear the runway
and ask ground to 'taxi to the cathouse'...callsign for the F-4 RAG was
'Nutgrass', instructors started asking for taxi to the 'nut house'...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
August 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Callsign for VF-33, before they changed it to 'starfighter' was 'cupcake'..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

John Carrier
August 24th 03, 08:46 PM
I thought it was bug-eating monkeys.

R / John

"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> Callsign for VF-33, before they changed it to 'starfighter' was
'cupcake'..
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

J. McEachen
August 24th 03, 10:24 PM
In 1962 Forrestal was Handbook, VAH-5 was Somerset. Around the boat and
NAS Sanford we were Somerset 6xx, on missions away from the boat on
cruise we were Handbook 6xx. Of course with Air Traffic Control anywhere
we were Navy Jet 42856 (last 5 digits of BuNo.) It was nice, back
stateside there were very few commercial jets then.

I saw Forrestal and Saratoga yesterday, moored at the old Newport
destroyer pier, with barges as spacers. A lot of the masts are gone, and
there are some strange "catwalks" high up on the island that look
neither familiar nor weather-proof. One of Forrestal's anchors is gone
(I think it went to Nimitz or Vinson when the four propellors went to
JFK,) and a lot of black paint shows above the waterline. The overhang
viewed from ahead looks a lot bigger than I remembered. We drove out the
pierhead to a locked but unguarded gate. Hangar bay doors were closed
and I didn't see any large gangways. We drove around to Coddington Point
(where in 7/58 I watched DD's leave one by one after dark to support the
Beirut landings,) with a good view of the fantails - which look quite
different, they seem to be boxed in but I don't know the later overhaul
activity on Sara and Forrestal and what might have been done.

With Midway now offered to San Diego, it will be interesting to see the
final disposition of Forrestal and Saratoga. Knowing the financial
problems of the much smaller Intrepid in NYC, I can't imagine any
private group being able to support the Forrestals as museum ships. As
much as I would love to find my old "Ready 3", squadron office, and
staterooms (on the 02 and 03 levels), and think I could after 40 years,
I won't hold my breath until they become museums. FDR disappeared before
anyone knew she was gone; Coral Sea was a Baltimore nightmare for many
years; Midway may go the museum route. But the Forrestals are huge. I am
glad I saw "59" once more, but it was a sad day for me.
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Mike Kanze wrote:
> CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms calling
> themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.

Ron
August 25th 03, 01:22 AM
I knew two different aviators with the call sign "Otis".

One was an attack type and told me that his stood for "On Target Is
Standard"

The other told me that when the boat pulled into a foreign port he would go
into town, get drunk, go back to the ship and call his wife somehow and
start bawling and telling her everything that he did while he was drunk.
His squadron mates noticed an immediate similarity to Otis the town drunk on
the old Andy of Mayberry show, and the name stuck forever...

José Herculano > wrote in message
> This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
> Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.
>
> Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
> _____________
> José Herculano

Giz
August 25th 03, 02:49 AM
From 92-96 at least America was "Courage". We were proud of that one.

Giz
"J. McEachen" > wrote in message
> In 1962 Forrestal was Handbook, VAH-5 was Somerset. Around the boat and
> NAS Sanford we were Somerset 6xx, on missions away from the boat on
> cruise we were Handbook 6xx. Of course with Air Traffic Control anywhere
> we were Navy Jet 42856 (last 5 digits of BuNo.) It was nice, back
> stateside there were very few commercial jets then.
>
> I saw Forrestal and Saratoga yesterday, moored at the old Newport
> destroyer pier, with barges as spacers. A lot of the masts are gone, and
> there are some strange "catwalks" high up on the island that look
> neither familiar nor weather-proof. One of Forrestal's anchors is gone
> (I think it went to Nimitz or Vinson when the four propellors went to
> JFK,) and a lot of black paint shows above the waterline. The overhang
> viewed from ahead looks a lot bigger than I remembered. We drove out the
> pierhead to a locked but unguarded gate. Hangar bay doors were closed
> and I didn't see any large gangways. We drove around to Coddington Point
> (where in 7/58 I watched DD's leave one by one after dark to support the
> Beirut landings,) with a good view of the fantails - which look quite
> different, they seem to be boxed in but I don't know the later overhaul
> activity on Sara and Forrestal and what might have been done.
>
> With Midway now offered to San Diego, it will be interesting to see the
> final disposition of Forrestal and Saratoga. Knowing the financial
> problems of the much smaller Intrepid in NYC, I can't imagine any
> private group being able to support the Forrestals as museum ships. As
> much as I would love to find my old "Ready 3", squadron office, and
> staterooms (on the 02 and 03 levels), and think I could after 40 years,
> I won't hold my breath until they become museums. FDR disappeared before
> anyone knew she was gone; Coral Sea was a Baltimore nightmare for many
> years; Midway may go the museum route. But the Forrestals are huge. I am
> glad I saw "59" once more, but it was a sad day for me.
> Joel McEachen VAH-5
>
> Mike Kanze wrote:
> > CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms
calling
> > themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.

FastMover114
August 28th 03, 03:38 PM
I met "Lingus" Cuni when he was flying with VFA-151, good guy.
"José Herculano" > wrote in message
> This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
> Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.
>
> Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
> _____________
> José Herculano

John R Weiss
August 29th 03, 05:15 PM
"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote...

> Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
> when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
> on it made the TV news.
>
> The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
> culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
> such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.

What did they conclude?

I thought Patsy Schroeder and her ilk had gone away; I guess not...

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
August 30th 03, 04:10 AM
On 8/29/03 11:15 AM, in article
, "John R Weiss"
> wrote:

> "Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" > wrote...
>>
>> Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
>> when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
>> on it made the TV news.
>>
>> The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
>> culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
>> such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.
>
> What did they conclude?

I wish I knew. I'll e-mail the new skipper and find out.

--Woody

> I thought Patsy Schroeder and her ilk had gone away; I guess not...

Ryan Maves
September 10th 03, 04:58 AM
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:20:10 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
> wrote:

>On 8/28/03 9:38 AM, in article ,
>"FastMover114" > wrote:
>
>> I met "Lingus" Cuni when he was flying with VFA-151, good guy.
>
>Concur.
>
>Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
>when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
>on it made the TV news.
>
>The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
>culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
>such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.

Skipper Cuny is a tremendous guy. Risque (and hilarious) callsign
aside, the man is a true gentleman. The microscopic fallout in our air
wing after his mini-scandal was no big deal.
-rcm

Google