PDA

View Full Version : Spying on China - 01.jpg (1/1) [61K]

Netko
January 7th 10, 11:26 PM
The wreckage of four ROCAF U-2s shot down over the PRC and displayed in
Beijing. Two of the pilots were killed and two were captured.

The picture probably dates from 1965.

a425couple
January 11th 10, 11:46 PM
"Netko" > wrote in message...
> The wreckage of four ROCAF U-2s shot down over the PRC and displayed in
> Beijing. Two of the pilots were killed and two were captured.
> The picture probably dates from 1965.

Interesting. I (and I'd think many others) have never seen
4 U-2s sitting together.

Meanwhile that got me off into reading about - recon. planes
The wiki entry - RQ-4 Global Hawk says,
"In March 1999, a Global Hawk inadvertently responded to a
termination signal emanating from Nellis Air Force Base after the
aircraft lost the Edwards AFB signal."
Huh?? Okay, guess that's clear. Bummer!

Oviedo
January 12th 10, 12:39 AM
"a425couple" > wrote in message
> "Netko" > wrote in message...
>> The wreckage of four ROCAF U-2s shot down over the PRC and displayed in
>> Beijing. Two of the pilots were killed and two were captured. The
>> picture probably dates from 1965.
>
> Interesting. I (and I'd think many others) have never seen 4 U-2s sitting
> together.
>
> Meanwhile that got me off into reading about - recon. planes
> The wiki entry - RQ-4 Global Hawk says, "In March 1999, a Global Hawk
> inadvertently responded to a termination signal emanating from Nellis Air
> Force Base after the aircraft lost the Edwards AFB signal." Huh?? Okay,
> guess that's clear. Bummer!

Clear as mud!

Ray O'Hara[_3_]
January 12th 10, 02:56 AM
"a425couple" > wrote in message
> "Netko" > wrote in message...
>> The wreckage of four ROCAF U-2s shot down over the PRC and displayed in
>> Beijing. Two of the pilots were killed and two were captured. The
>> picture probably dates from 1965.
>
> Interesting. I (and I'd think many others) have never seen 4 U-2s sitting
> together.
>
> Meanwhile that got me off into reading about - recon. planes
> The wiki entry - RQ-4 Global Hawk says, "In March 1999, a Global Hawk
> inadvertently responded to a termination signal emanating from Nellis Air
> Force Base after the aircraft lost the Edwards AFB signal." Huh?? Okay,
> guess that's clear. Bummer!

those things don't look big but when you see them with ground crew their
size is surprising, to me at least.

a425couple
January 14th 10, 05:08 PM
"Oviedo" > wrote...
> "a425couple" > wrote in message...
>> "Netko" > wrote in message...
>>> The wreckage of four - U-2s shot down -- and displayed
>> Interesting. I (and I'd think many others) have never seen 4 U-2s
>> sitting together.
>>
>> Meanwhile that got me off into reading about - recon. planes
>> The wiki entry - RQ-4 Global Hawk says, "In March 1999, a Global Hawk
>> inadvertently responded to a termination signal emanating from Nellis Air
>> Force Base after the aircraft lost the Edwards AFB signal." Huh?? Okay,
>> guess that's clear. Bummer!
>
> Clear as mud!

Well, the bottom line / end result seems fairly clear,
there was a safety mechanism, but between radio control signals
from Nellis and Edwards, they 'flubbed up' on controling
this 'mechanism', and so the plane (35+ million $) destroyed itself.

(reminescent of, "Mr. Bond, we regret to inform you,
but during inspection, you luggage was destroyed.")

The exact "hows" of this are muddy/murky to me.

Google