September 7th 03, 12:39 AM
AF, Navy NCOs trade places in leadership course

(EXCERPT) , By Juliana Gittler, Stars and Stripes Pacific edition,
Saturday, September 6, 2003

MISAWA AIR BASE, Japan — When Air Force Master Sgt. Chris Goll first
sat in the Navy chief’s leadership development course, he didn’t know
about that service’s rates or much of its lingo.

After two weeks mingling among sailors of his rank — E-7 — he learned
to appreciate Navy tradition, the cohesiveness of its senior enlisted
corps and its style of discipline. That helps since he commands some
sailors in the 35th Security Forces Squadron.

“I really didn’t know what to expect. I just knew the Navy and Air
Force did things differently,” he said. Now, “I can talk to my sailors
and know what I’m talking about.”

At one of the only shared Air Force-Navy bases in the Pacific — it’s
an air base with a large Navy presence — sailors and airmen are
sitting in each other’s leadership training classes learning how their
respective services operate and getting to know each other.

The cooperative...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 05 Sep 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=17369

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian