PDA

View Full Version : Take my breath away (Hangar Queen) - index.jpg (1/1) [45K]

Netko
January 14th 10, 11:20 PM
Some publicity pictures for 'Jian Shi Chu Ji' ('J-10 Attack'), a Chinese film
directed by Ning Haiqiang. It's an attempt to do for the PLAAF and the J-10
what 'Top Gun' did for the USN and the F-14.

The film is described as a "military action blockbuster" and it stars the
Chengdu J-10 Vigorous Dragon. However, there are also some humans in
supporting roles - Wang Ban and Li Guangjie as J-10 pilots who are rivals in
the air as well as for the affections of Huang Yi (Betty Huang) who plays a
'captain maintainer' in the regiment. Oh, and they save the country from
some foreign stereotypes as well.

The film was reported as scheduled for release in November 2009 but it
doesn't seem to have made it out yet (and probably never will in the West so
we won't know if Tarantino interprets it in the same way as he did Top Gun).

Anyway, this is a Hangar Queen post so it's all about Huang Yi but it should
also be of interest to anyone interested in China's spiffy new digital
uniforms.

Bob (not my real pseudonym)
January 15th 10, 12:08 PM
Sigh. Were that Mystery Science Theater 3000 still on the air...

Wait - there's always RiffTrax!

January 16th 10, 07:22 AM
So, likw, who is she and what's the context here other than Chinese
cheesecake?

Brian

Netko
January 16th 10, 11:42 AM
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 07:22:33 +0000, wrote
(in article >):

> So, likw, who is she and what's the context here other than Chinese
> cheesecake?

Not just cheesecake - hangar queen cheesecake.

I'm not sure what more I can say. I thought I had said quite enough about
the context in my original post (but it's possible you missed the text which
went along with the index file).

In brief, she's a popular Chinese actress called Huang Yi and these are
publicity pictures for a film called J-10 Attack.

Alternatively, you could always look on the pictures as showing examples of
the Chinese AF's latest uniforms (though probably better tailored than the
standard issue stuff).

And if you're still left wondering, just write off the set as a Fail.

January 16th 10, 11:01 PM
After I posted I saw your notes, not before. They did pretty much say it
all. I suspect that the plot is as deep as "Top Gun's" was, but the set of
pics was intriguing. The bar with the fighter nose was quite over the top.

Brian

Google