PDA

View Full Version : Hurrivac

Jim Strand
September 15th 03, 01:48 AM
Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
Hurrivac sequence for aircraft?

..

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Pechs1
September 18th 03, 02:57 PM
Jim-<< Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
Hurrivac sequence for aircraft? >><BR><BR>

In the three hurrivacs I did, One from Macdill AFB one from NAS Oceana and one
from NAF Atsugi, it was a squadron thing. The wing or cag said get out, we
picked when and where.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Bill Kambic
September 18th 03, 03:24 PM
"Jim Strand" wrote in message

> Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
> Hurrivac sequence for aircraft?

The only ones I ever knew about were CNATRA instructions governing the
(then) three NASs in the Corpus Christi area. I suspect the "each squadron
for itself" approach would have been impractical when you were dealing with
10 or 11 squadrons, some having as many as 50 aircraft.

We did one when Allen came through South Texas. We had enough volunteers
that a "draft" was not necessary. Mostly the batchelors flew and the brown
baggers stayed. Some went as far as El Paso, but most went into Central and
North Texas bases. Some might have gone to Oklahoma. It's been a long
time!<g>

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

> .

> ACC USN ret.
> NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
> 67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
> &
> 74-77
>
> Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
> Anti-spam measures in action.
> For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Jim Strand
September 18th 03, 10:54 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:24:54 -0400, "Bill Kambic" >
wrote:

>"Jim Strand" wrote in message
>
>> Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
>> Hurrivac sequence for aircraft?
>
>The only ones I ever knew about were CNATRA instructions governing the
>(then) three NASs in the Corpus Christi area.

Perhaps it is those that made me wonder if they were service wide. I
recall having to access the CNATRA instructions several times during
my six years at Chase.

ACC USN ret.
NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR
67-69 69-71 71-74 77-80 80-85
&
74-77

Co-founder of newsgroup - RAMN
Anti-spam measures in action.
For e-mail response delete "nospam"

Ogden Johnson III
September 19th 03, 12:32 AM
Jim Strand > wrote:

>"Bill Kambic" > wrote:

>>"Jim Strand" wrote in message

>>> Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
>>> Hurrivac sequence for aircraft?
>>
>>The only ones I ever knew about were CNATRA instructions governing the
>>(then) three NASs in the Corpus Christi area.

>Perhaps it is those that made me wonder if they were service wide. I
>recall having to access the CNATRA instructions several times during
>my six years at Chase.

Seems to me there was a ComNavAirLant [and presumably a corresponding
ComNavAirPac for the left coast and WestPac] directive requiring that
organizations operating aircraft in hurricane/typhoon-prone areas [in
our case, 2d Marine Aircraft Wing for MCAS Cherry Point, MCAS(H) New
River, and MCAS Beaufort] have standing directives on HurrEvac
[TyphoonEvac] plans and arrangements. IIRC, CNAL/CNAP didn't dictate
anything specific, other than saying that plans and arrangements had
to be in place. Our MAG and Squadron HurrEvac plans were rather
simple one evacuation, less simple if we were not evacuating. For
evacuations, go where 2dMAW tell us to when they tell us to, or, if we
didn't evac, [and this is why MAG and Squadron plans were necessary]
put all of our birds in the hangars, along with everything else on the
flight line and outside the hangars. With the size of our hangars,
*that* required a lot of planning and arranging and cooperation
amongst squadrons and groups. Easier to fly them off inland - to
someplace with decent liberty preferably.

OJ III

Red
September 19th 03, 08:57 PM
There is a lot more to a "Hurrivac" than just flying away somewhere for a
little liberty. Every Navy and Marine unit has to have a comprehensive
"Weather Plan". I imagine that the Army and Air Force does also. These may
be broken down into separate plans for Hot Weather, Cold weather, Foul
Weather as the situation and location requires.

As we are talking about Hurrivacs, this would come under a units Foul
Weather Plan. They are written to cover every contingency, so that even the
greenest nugget that caught the duty on a Holiday can accomplish the
required tasks. The Duty Officer/Chief/NCO whoever will have a copy with
their duty orders.

Some of the things included in these orders, are who will notify who, of
what, and when they will do it. As far as the moving of aircraft this is
usually ordered and definitely approved at Lant/Pac level with concurrence
of the Joint Chiefs (As Fleet and Marine aircraft are Combat Assets their
status and locations are reported as part of a units readiness, you don't
just move them around as you feel like. I am not sure about a training
command like Pensacola etc.) Once it has been determined that the aircraft
will be moved it is usually left to the Wing/CAG/Station etc to say when to
execute the move. Higher commands will say you have permission to move at or
after such and such a time, keep us notified. Then you don't just let
Maverick go where ever he wants to. Most times the aircraft are sent to
bases/stations that they have traditionally gone to. Not because its always
been done this way, but because it has been proven by experience that these
are the best places to send and protect the aircraft.

But that isn't the end. You can't load up the facilities and take them with
you. Personnel remain behind to secure the buildings, and equipment etc.
Sometimes many of these people may be evacuated also, but usually a number
of personnel remain to look after things.

I was at Key West once when we just about abandoned the base due to a
hurricane. Maybe 35 people stayed. At Atsigu and Yokuska, most people that
didn't fly away with the aircraft or sail away with the ships stayed. Same
was true for Jax.

I was still at DOD (but getting ready to retire) when Hurricane Andrew hit
Florida. Homestead, was almost completely evacuated of all personnel. All
non-essentual personnel and all dependents had left, before the hurricane.
The only aircraft that remained was an F-4 gate guard that made its last
flight during the storm, (about 50 feet) and at least one F-16 (that's all I
remember) in a hanger, which was destroyed with the hanger. After the storm
the remaining personnel were evacuated and replacements (Air Police) were
brought in from other bases. I went down to Homestead right after the all
clear was sounded for a look around, but that's a different story, for
another time.

Elmshoot
September 21st 03, 05:26 AM
>Army and Air Force does also. These may
>be broken down into separate plans for Hot Weather, Cold weather, Foul
>Weather as the situation and location requires.

In Whidbey we had one for a volcano's!

In the 50's my dad was the ops O for the WV rag out at Barbers point they did a
hurivac and my dad took his Connie to Nashville TN. were his folks lived at the
time.
Sparky

Leanne
September 21st 03, 03:47 PM
> In the 50's my dad was the ops O for the WV rag out at Barbers point they did
> hurivac and my dad took his Connie to Nashville TN. were his folks lived at
the
> time.

Years ago when we were stationed at NAS Memphis, they used to bring a lot of
aircraft in from various places. In one day there would be a sea or orange and
white aircraft parked everywhere.

Leanne B

Red
September 22nd 03, 09:02 PM
"Elmshoot" > wrote in message
> >Army and Air Force does also. These may
> >be broken down into separate plans for Hot Weather, Cold weather, Foul
> >Weather as the situation and location requires.
>
> In Whidbey we had one for a volcano's!
>
> In the 50's my dad was the ops O for the WV rag out at Barbers point they
did a
> hurivac and my dad took his Connie to Nashville TN. were his folks lived
at the
> time.
> Sparky

NAS Naples, and a few others have/had them for volcano's also.

Red

October 1st 03, 07:43 AM
Hey I'm new here,,,gimme a break!
But, nobody ever answered the Chief's question! Just a lot of
reminising about each ones experience with hurrivacs!!! This old CWO
has plenty of sea stories, from e2 to MMCO including numerous typhoons
in westpac and 3 hurricanes in pensacola ,,,but I think I'll stick to
the topic....Typhoon/Hurricane instructions,,including step by step
instructions for each condition are NAS/NAF instructions,,,(COMFAIR
has them too,,,then each squadron has thier own in addition) If you
have access to reverse address computers (NMCI, or a navy.mil
account), you could get into some of the NAS/NAF websites that still
have instructions available online. For instance,,,here is a good
address for an instruction available online,,,but only if you have an
NMCI or legacy account..

https://ats-iis.ats.navy.mil/atsugi/admin/instructions/3000/3140_1P.pdf

After 9-11, access to and information on navy.mil websites has
virtually dissapeared.

P.S. Pech,,,youre right!!! They just told you to go and you left us
poor groundpounders to carry out the orders in the
instructions,,including getting every flyable aircraft ready to
fly,,,stacking the hanger with nonflyables and GSE,,setting the
watch,,and ride out the storm,,with lotsa beer of course!!!! It was a
big pain in the ass when you are in charges,,but great fun as a young
E4-E6!!!

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:48:58 GMT, Jim Strand >
wrote:

>Are there any Naval instructions available online regarding the
>Hurrivac sequence for aircraft?
>

>.

> ACC USN ret.
> NKX, BIKF, NAB, CV-63, NIR