PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Gear Down

Mike Keown
October 5th 03, 02:27 AM
Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
search and rescue are aware of your situation
and location. How do you put 'her' down?
Mike

Dave Kearton
October 5th 03, 02:43 AM

--

Mike - are you declaring an emergency at this time ? ;-)

Cheers

Dave Kearton

George Z. Bush
October 5th 03, 04:52 AM
Dave Kearton wrote:
> "Mike Keown" > wrote in message
>> Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
>> with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
>> search and rescue are aware of your situation
>> and location. How do you put 'her' down?
>> Mike

Verrry carefully. (^-^))) Since the sea is calm, there likely wouldn't be any
wind to speak of, so looking for swells and troughs wouldn't be a problem. Just
maintain airspeed high enough to maintain control and try to three point her in.

George Z.
(former ARS pilot)

October 5th 03, 05:05 AM
"Dave Kearton" >
wrote:

>"Mike Keown" > wrote in message
>> Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
>> with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
>> search and rescue are aware of your situation
>> and location. How do you put 'her' down?
>> Mike

Along the smooth side of the swell (if any), as slow as possible
while maintaining just enough speed to assure that you don't
stall...repeat after me..."Our father who art...."
--

-Gord.

nafod40
October 6th 03, 01:53 PM
Mike Keown wrote:
> Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
> with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
> search and rescue are aware of your situation
> and location. How do you put 'her' down?

Fixed landing gear? You're going to flip'er head over heels when you
hit. Bail out if you can.

I have a cool mpeg of a *seaplane* with it's gear down flipping on
landing...

Pechs1
October 6th 03, 03:04 PM
<< Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
> with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
> search and rescue are aware of your situation
> and location. How do you put 'her' down? >><BR><BR>

Crack the doors open a wee bit before ya hit(like a cessna), stay straped in.
Fly as low and slow as ya can, pancake it in...unstrap and swim out. It should
float for a while, even if only the wing is up. Try not to flip it over...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

NiceGuy
October 6th 03, 04:39 PM
on the tail
hold nose up as long as possible
drop it in

"Mike Keown" > wrote in message
> Question: You are forced to ditch in a a/c
> with fixed landing gear. The sea is calm and
> search and rescue are aware of your situation
> and location. How do you put 'her' down?
> Mike

Google