PDA

View Full Version : book fixed wing a/c losses vietnam

old hoodoo
October 18th 03, 10:52 PM
Vietnam Air Losses: USAF, Navy, and Marine Corps Fixed-Wing Aircraft Losses
in SE Asia 1961-1973
by Authors: Chris Hobson

I just found this book available from several sources and seems highly
recommended and have ordered it to perhaps answer my question on Nov 21,22,
or 23 1971 fixed wing aircraft losses (actually I am looking for one
incident that occurred on one of these days in S. Vietnam to confirm a
rescue attempt story concerning a Navy aircraft unknown type) I've ordered
it from Amazon already but if anyone has it I would still like to know the
answer by this weekend.

Al

Juvat
October 19th 03, 01:02 AM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "old
hoodoo" blurted out:

>Vietnam Air Losses: USAF, Navy, and Marine Corps Fixed-Wing Aircraft Losses
>in SE Asia 1961-1973
>by Authors: Chris Hobson

Hobson did a fine job of distilling and expanding upon the USN's
Center for Naval Analysis (CNA) big list of losses. There are some
ommissions missing from both works. I have a third generation copy of
the CNA list and two copies of Hobson's work. One copy is heavily
annotated. Mr Hobson is a very nice chap (via email only).

>I just found this book available from several sources and seems highly
>recommended and have ordered it to perhaps answer my question on Nov 21,22,
>or 23 1971 fixed wing aircraft losses (actually I am looking for one
>incident that occurred on one of these days in S. Vietnam to confirm a
>rescue attempt story concerning a Navy aircraft unknown type)

From Nov 1971...

1 Nov 71: A-7A BuNo 153189 VA-153 USS Oriskany
Cdr Thomas P Frank (KIA) Nose gear collapsed during the cat stroke.

23 Nov 71: F-4E 69-7562 4 TFS / 366 TFW DaNang
Capt RW Altus (KIA) 1Lt W Phelps (KIA) Lost at night over Laos

25/26 Nov 71: F-4D 66-7752 497 TFS / 8 TFW Ubon
Capt JE Steadman (KIA) 1Lt RD Buetel (KIA) Lost at night over Laos

29 Nov 71: A-37B 69-6352 8 SOS / 315 TAW Bien Hoa
Capt AW Moore (survived) Hit by ground fire during CAS sortie over
Cambodia

Next loss 10 Dec 1971...F-105G, next USN loss 12 Dec 1971 a VRC-50
C-2A BuNo 152793

Juvat

Tex Houston
October 19th 03, 01:47 AM
"old hoodoo" > wrote in message
> Vietnam Air Losses: USAF, Navy, and Marine Corps Fixed-Wing Aircraft
Losses
> in SE Asia 1961-1973
> by Authors: Chris Hobson
>

> I just found this book available from several sources and seems highly
> recommended and have ordered it to perhaps answer my question on Nov
21,22,
> or 23 1971 fixed wing aircraft losses (actually I am looking for one
> incident that occurred on one of these days in S. Vietnam to confirm a
> rescue attempt story concerning a Navy aircraft unknown type) I've
ordered
> it from Amazon already but if anyone has it I would still like to know the
> answer by this weekend.
>
> Al

I told you before the only Navy loss that month was on 1 November. Hobson's
book was my source.

Tex Houston

vzlion
October 19th 03, 06:39 PM
Where might I find a copy of the CNA list? I tried the CNA offices and
all I could get was a list of air-to-air losses.

Walt

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:02:18 GMT, Juvat >
wrote:

>After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police "old
>hoodoo" blurted out:
>
>>Vietnam Air Losses: USAF, Navy, and Marine Corps Fixed-Wing Aircraft Losses
>>in SE Asia 1961-1973
>>by Authors: Chris Hobson
>
>Hobson did a fine job of distilling and expanding upon the USN's
>Center for Naval Analysis (CNA) big list of losses. There are some
>ommissions missing from both works. I have a third generation copy of
>the CNA list and two copies of Hobson's work. One copy is heavily
>annotated. Mr Hobson is a very nice chap (via email only).
>
>>I just found this book available from several sources and seems highly
>>recommended and have ordered it to perhaps answer my question on Nov 21,22,
>>or 23 1971 fixed wing aircraft losses (actually I am looking for one
>>incident that occurred on one of these days in S. Vietnam to confirm a
>>rescue attempt story concerning a Navy aircraft unknown type)
>
>From Nov 1971...
>
>1 Nov 71: A-7A BuNo 153189 VA-153 USS Oriskany
>Cdr Thomas P Frank (KIA) Nose gear collapsed during the cat stroke.
>
>23 Nov 71: F-4E 69-7562 4 TFS / 366 TFW DaNang
>Capt RW Altus (KIA) 1Lt W Phelps (KIA) Lost at night over Laos
>
>25/26 Nov 71: F-4D 66-7752 497 TFS / 8 TFW Ubon
>Capt JE Steadman (KIA) 1Lt RD Buetel (KIA) Lost at night over Laos
>
>29 Nov 71: A-37B 69-6352 8 SOS / 315 TAW Bien Hoa
>Capt AW Moore (survived) Hit by ground fire during CAS sortie over
>Cambodia
>
>Next loss 10 Dec 1971...F-105G, next USN loss 12 Dec 1971 a VRC-50
>C-2A BuNo 152793
>
>Juvat

Juvat
October 19th 03, 08:54 PM
After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Walt
blurted out:

>Where might I find a copy of the CNA list? I tried the CNA offices and
>all I could get was a list of air-to-air losses.

Actually Hobon's book *is* the CNA lists...where the CNA document has
separate lists for combat losses by service, and separate non-combat
losses by service. Hobson puts them all in one chronology.

Hobson's "Vietnam Air Losses" *is* the document to have, especially if
you're into the extra details like an Alpha roster of guys downed and
the day of the event(s)...lots of cool lists, breakdowns of losses to
SAMs or MiGs with the date...AOB.

Juvat

Google