PDA

View Full Version : Five Crommelin brothers selected to Hall of Honor

Otis Willie
October 24th 03, 10:19 PM
Five Crommelin brothers selected to Hall of Honor

(EXCERPT) 10/24/03

The five Crommelin brothers of Montgomery and Wetumpka, along with
Rear Adm. Jeremiah A. Denton, will be inducted into the Alabama
Military Hall of Honor October 31st. at Marion Military Institute.

Born of a pioneer Alabama family in Montgomery and Wetumpka, the
Crommelins were the only five brothers ever to graduate from the U. S.
Naval Academy.

They are:

Vice Adm. Henry Crommelin.

Rear Adm. John C. Crommelin, III.

Capt. Quentin C. Crommelin.

Commander Charles L. Crommelin.

Lt. Commander Richard G. Crommelin.

Four of the brothers became avaitors. Individually, they gained fame
in World War II with outstanding combat records and multiple
decorations.

Charles and Richard would make the supreme sacrifice. The five saw
action in more than ten campaigns in the Pacific Theater. Henry, John,
and Quentin continued distinguished Navy careers until retirement.

In 1981, the Navy launched the U.S.S. Crommelin (FFG 37) in honor of
t...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 24 Oct 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.al.com/news/independent/index.ssf?/base/news/1067012117240620.xml

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

WDA
October 26th 03, 06:23 PM
IIRC John Crommelin sacrificed his Navy career by facing down the Air Force
during the super carrier vs. B-36 controversy in 1949! If the Navy had lost
that fight there never would have been any more carriers ( which is the
first weapon the president always calls on when the war gong sounds)!

WDA

end

"Otis Willie" > wrote in message
> Five Crommelin brothers selected to Hall of Honor
>
> (EXCERPT) 10/24/03
>
> The five Crommelin brothers of Montgomery and Wetumpka, along with
> Rear Adm. Jeremiah A. Denton, will be inducted into the Alabama
> Military Hall of Honor October 31st. at Marion Military Institute.
>
> Born of a pioneer Alabama family in Montgomery and Wetumpka, the
> Crommelins were the only five brothers ever to graduate from the U. S.
> Naval Academy.
>
> They are:
>
> Vice Adm. Henry Crommelin.
>
> Rear Adm. John C. Crommelin, III.
>
> Capt. Quentin C. Crommelin.
>
> Commander Charles L. Crommelin.
>
> Lt. Commander Richard G. Crommelin.
>
> Four of the brothers became avaitors. Individually, they gained fame
> in World War II with outstanding combat records and multiple
> decorations.
>
> Charles and Richard would make the supreme sacrifice. The five saw
> action in more than ten campaigns in the Pacific Theater. Henry, John,
> and Quentin continued distinguished Navy careers until retirement.
>
> In 1981, the Navy launched the U.S.S. Crommelin (FFG 37) in honor of
> t...
>
> U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
> copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
> cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
> in full today, 24 Oct 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
> the following lines into your web browser.) The
> subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
> viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
> for your information and discussion.

http://www.al.com/news/independent/index.ssf?/base/news/1067012117240620.xml

> Otis Willie
> Associate Librarian