PDA

View Full Version : AH-64D vs AH-1Z

. .
October 31st 03, 09:50 AM
Is the new Marine Corps cobra as good as the apache?

Helomech
November 5th 03, 05:00 AM
Yes and no - depending on what tactics are used - what the mission
is..........

Overall - the Apache is sturdier - but less nimble, heavier and less able to
hover OGE at high altitudes.

The D model apache (longbow) has some great features that the Z model
Cobra - may or may not have - depends if they bought the MMW Radar pod....

The Z Cobra has better optics than the AH-64 (either models)....

And since the USMC uses more balanced tactics when employing their attack
helicopters - Then the army does - the Z model is probably a lot more
likely to kill bad guys and not get shot down......

If the Army can teach it's pilots to shoot while moving - and if the Apache
has the capability to do that then yes the Apache is as good as or better
than the Cobra.....

Helomech

". ." > wrote in message
> Is the new Marine Corps cobra as good as the apache?

Helomech
November 7th 03, 12:45 AM
"dano" > wrote in message
> > ". ." > wrote in message
> > > Is the new Marine Corps cobra as good as the apache?
>
> In article >,
> "Helomech" > wrote:
>
> > Yes and no - depending on what tactics are used - what the mission
> > is..........
> >
> > Overall - the Apache is sturdier - but less nimble, heavier and less
able to
> > hover OGE at high altitudes.
> >
> > The D model apache (longbow) has some great features that the Z model
> > Cobra - may or may not have - depends if they bought the MMW Radar
pod....

> > The Z Cobra has better optics than the AH-64 (either models)....
> >
> > And since the USMC uses more balanced tactics when employing their
attack
> > helicopters - Then the army does - the Z model is probably a lot more
> > likely to kill bad guys and not get shot down......
> >
> > If the Army can teach it's pilots to shoot while moving - and if the
Apache
> > has the capability to do that then yes the Apache is as good as or
better
> > than the Cobra.....
>
> My server has short retention, so perhaps the following was previously
> asked...
>
> The Cobra is single engine, isn't it?
> Apache is two engine?

Both helictopers have the same number of engines - 2 GE T-700's

> What are the respective weights?

Read in lbs.......

AH-1Z Cobra 12300 empty - 18500 max

AH-64D Longbow Apache - 11,800 empty - 16027 max

> And what are the approximate procurement costs?

I no idea - but would bet a 12 pack that the Cobra is cheaper than the
current D model Apache............by a significant amount of money.....

And has a better mission capable rate too.....the Apache is supposed to have
an average OR rate of 75% - well BS I have seen MANY - MANY USMC Cobra
Squadrons that had better OR rates than that........ more like 85% or
better......

Helomech

John S. Shinal
December 30th 03, 02:44 PM
"Helomech" wrote:
>And has a better mission capable rate too.....the Apache is supposed to have
>an average OR rate of 75% - well BS I have seen MANY - MANY USMC Cobra
>Squadrons that had better OR rates than that........ more like 85% or
>better......

Do the Cobras use the same TADS/PNVS that has plagued the
Apache ? It's always been a reliability issue, it seems.

Helomech
December 30th 03, 11:55 PM
"John S. Shinal" > wrote in message
> "Helomech" wrote:
> >And has a better mission capable rate too.....the Apache is supposed to
have
> >an average OR rate of 75% - well BS I have seen MANY - MANY USMC Cobra
> >Squadrons that had better OR rates than that........ more like 85% or
> >better......
>
> Do the Cobras use the same TADS/PNVS that has plagued the
> Apache ? It's always been a reliability issue, it seems.

No the AH-1Z uses a different system - FLIR - Targeting, made by a different
vendor and is more up to date than the TADS/PNVS the AH-64D has.......

Helomech

Google