PDA

View Full Version : Checklist binder

dougdrivr
November 5th 03, 03:54 PM
I've seen the USAF Checklist binders that pilots used in the fifties and
sixties, did the Navy have anything similar?
I'm interested in what was used as a checklist holder/binder in the SNJ
days?

JK

Gordon
November 5th 03, 06:59 PM
If they are the blue plastic with "clear" inserts, I have several of them. We
were given two types of crew checklists - one that was heavy stock with yellow
pages outlining checklist items for various situations as well as a few misc
info cards. The older type was different forms of a basic blue checklist
binder with clear insert sheets (that never seemed to stay clear for very long)
for all of the same info. They came with snap rings but eventually those were
outlawed as they were a FOD hazard - when zip ties came along, they provided a
perfect substitute. I have a few different ones that go back through the
sixties - not sure what was used prior to that.

v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

dougdrivr
November 5th 03, 08:59 PM
Did they have a Navy indentification or part number on them?

"Gordon" > wrote in message
> If they are the blue plastic with "clear" inserts, I have several of them.
We
> were given two types of crew checklists - one that was heavy stock with
yellow
> pages outlining checklist items for various situations as well as a few
misc
> info cards. The older type was different forms of a basic blue checklist
> binder with clear insert sheets (that never seemed to stay clear for very
long)
> for all of the same info. They came with snap rings but eventually those
were
> outlawed as they were a FOD hazard - when zip ties came along, they
provided a
> perfect substitute. I have a few different ones that go back through the
> sixties - not sure what was used prior to that.
>
> v/r
> Gordon
> <====(A+C====>
> USN SAR Aircrew
>
> "Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
> "Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Gordon
November 5th 03, 11:13 PM

>Did they have a Navy indentification or part number on them?

Off to the garage - wait one.

<theme from Jeopardy>

Now that is interesting. I have three similar but not identical checklists and
all have the same part number embossed on the lower edge of the back cover - it
says, Elbe, Fall River, Mass. USA #60D90300.

Hope that helps.

v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

user
November 6th 03, 07:07 AM
In the P3 world, each crewstation had a NATOPS checklist, and each
crewman was issued their own, (in addition to their NATOPS). I left
the P3 world in '98 so I don't know if they are still being used. In
the past and currently its kind of a "gouge" for the NATOPS. The
aircrew had a name for them,,,,they were called " Blue Brains" . Like
Gordon stated the cover is blue and was held together with snaprings,
(It was about 4 X 8). It contained abbreviated standard and emergency
NATOPS procedures, including startup, initialization and basic
operation for each piece of equipment, including mission avionics,
(CONOPS is not incuded).They were an official NAVAIR pub, controlled
by the TPL and were updated when changes came out, and you could
personalize them as necessary. We are currently developing and testing
a similar version here at China Lake of the "Blue Brains" for the
EP-3E world (SSIP Fleet Issue 4.0). In my tailhook experience, these
were not as comprehensive, (almost completely on a kneeboard). I
suppose because during FlightOps we always had an experienced J.O.
(for each squadron) sitting in PRIFLY with the NATOPS. Sorry I can't
help with the pub #, but sounds like Gordon is all over it.

On 05 Nov 2003 23:13:32 GMT, (Gordon) wrote:

>>Did they have a Navy indentification or part number on them?
>
>Off to the garage - wait one.
>
><theme from Jeopardy>
>
>Now that is interesting. I have three similar but not identical checklists and
>all have the same part number embossed on the lower edge of the back cover - it
>says, Elbe, Fall River, Mass. USA #60D90300.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>v/r
>Gordon
><====(A+C====>
> USN SAR Aircrew
>
>"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
>"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Gordon
November 6th 03, 05:09 PM
>Sorry I can't
>help with the pub #, but sounds like Gordon is all over it.

Foo, I at least two of the ones I have are from P-3s (although I gutted them
when I went over to helicopters) and they match your description of them.

v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Ogden Johnson III
November 6th 03, 09:25 PM
(Gordon) wrote:

>>Did they have a Navy indentification or part number on them?

>Off to the garage - wait one.
>
><theme from Jeopardy>
>
>Now that is interesting. I have three similar but not identical checklists and
>all have the same part number embossed on the lower edge of the back cover - it
>says, Elbe, Fall River, Mass. USA #60D90300.

The part number is Elbe's. What someone put in the binder, at some
level of the chain of command, is immaterial. The binder, itself,
probably was bought by DLA with a plain cover. Somewhere along the
line whoever ginned it up also ginned up the overprint on the cover.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

banzaisgi
February 29th 08, 11:04 PM
I am interested in finding photographs or the real examples of the following:
USAF Strategic Air Command binders of any kind (I have a friend who owns a silo and is restoring part of it with memorabilia). Also looking for AFTO 781 binders (aircraft forms) for the several USAF warbirds we own and fly. We have several T-28s, O-1s, O-2s, and T-34s.
Any assistance would be appreciated. If we get the real thing from someone and we visit your area it might qualify you for a ride in one of our birds or at least access to see one and get some photos.
Thanks for helping us carry on USAF traditions.
Jim

Google