PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions from the Group please?

Harriet and John
November 12th 03, 10:45 PM
During 1955, the Navy's heretofore covert P4M-1Q airborne electronic
intelligence activities were consolidated organizationally and commissioned
as bona fide aircraft squadrons - VQ-1 on 1 June and VQ-2 on 1 September
1955. (The antecedent Communications Units and Airborne Early Warning
Squadron detachments were dissolved and combined in the new units.)

A group of us who were "Plankowners" - present at the commissioning - of one
or the other of the two squadrons have been in touch with one another and we
are engaged in locating and contacting as many other plankowners as we can
with the intention of making some kind of a presentation to the two
squadrons in recognition in 2005 of their half-century history.

We have - through personal contacts, Association membership rosters and live
sightings - managed to locate about fifty officer and enlisted from both
squadrons and we are now searching for the rest of the crowd. The current
Holy Grail is the Squadron Log for the commissioning days, and we're in
contact with the Modern Military Branch of the National Archives and Records
Administration in an attempt to track them down but I'm afraid that just ain
't going to work. I was in about five or six aviation commands and I never
heard of the Squadron Logs being treated with the sanctity or gravity the
Ships Logs I used to have to sign each month when I drove the gray things
around.

So two requests....anybody out there a P4M-1Q driver who's not on our list
(you'd know if you were) and any suggestions (BuPers?) as to where I can
find two almost 50 year of Squadron logs? Thanks in advance!

Ogden Johnson III
November 12th 03, 11:10 PM
"Harriet and John" > wrote:

>'t going to work. I was in about five or six aviation commands and I never
>heard of the Squadron Logs being treated with the sanctity or gravity the
>Ships Logs I used to have to sign each month when I drove the gray things
>around.
>
>So two requests....anybody out there a P4M-1Q driver who's not on our list
>(you'd know if you were) and any suggestions (BuPers?) as to where I can
>find two almost 50 year of Squadron logs? Thanks in advance!

Can't speak to anything earlier, although from the NAVMC form
[actually a rather large, bound, thick, booklet] used for the Squadron
Master Flight Log I suspect that log dated from WWII at least.

We maintained a Squadron Master Flight Log for every squadron I served
in from 196mumble to the time I retired. Handwritten, and ghods help
you if you did not write large, legibly, and mistake-less in black ink
because the Gunny would have your ass*. Three or six months
[disremember at this late date] after the end of the fiscal year and
after all squadron and pilot annual reports [supported in any way by
the SMFL] had been submitted and accepted, the log was mailed, in
accordance with OPNAVINST umpty-fratz, directly to the National
Archives by the squadron.

[* - after which, he'd make you redo the entire Squadron Master Flight
Log. Not a big problem if you screwed up in the first month of the
fiscal year. *Huge* problem in the last month of the fiscal year.
;->]

You know the years of interest. Your next stop [de-de de-de de-de
de-de], the National Archives web site.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

vzlion
November 13th 03, 04:23 PM
Have you queried the Naval History Center, Aviation Branch? They might
be able to help.

Walt

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:45:33 GMT, "Harriet and John"
> wrote:

>During 1955, the Navy's heretofore covert P4M-1Q airborne electronic
>intelligence activities were consolidated organizationally and commissioned
>as bona fide aircraft squadrons - VQ-1 on 1 June and VQ-2 on 1 September
>1955. (The antecedent Communications Units and Airborne Early Warning
>Squadron detachments were dissolved and combined in the new units.)
>
>A group of us who were "Plankowners" - present at the commissioning - of one
>or the other of the two squadrons have been in touch with one another and we
>are engaged in locating and contacting as many other plankowners as we can
>with the intention of making some kind of a presentation to the two
>squadrons in recognition in 2005 of their half-century history.
>
>We have - through personal contacts, Association membership rosters and live
>sightings - managed to locate about fifty officer and enlisted from both
>squadrons and we are now searching for the rest of the crowd. The current
>Holy Grail is the Squadron Log for the commissioning days, and we're in
>contact with the Modern Military Branch of the National Archives and Records
>Administration in an attempt to track them down but I'm afraid that just ain
>'t going to work. I was in about five or six aviation commands and I never
>heard of the Squadron Logs being treated with the sanctity or gravity the
>Ships Logs I used to have to sign each month when I drove the gray things
>around.
>
>So two requests....anybody out there a P4M-1Q driver who's not on our list
>(you'd know if you were) and any suggestions (BuPers?) as to where I can
>find two almost 50 year of Squadron logs? Thanks in advance!

Harriet and John
November 14th 03, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys! Been there, done that, now have located the enlisted rosters
in the Archives. Next stop BuPers/NPC for the officers, although we think
we may have both lists from memory/consensus. Again, thanks.
"vzlion" > wrote in message
> Have you queried the Naval History Center, Aviation Branch? They might
> be able to help.
>
> Walt
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:45:33 GMT, "Harriet and John"
> > wrote:
>
> >During 1955, the Navy's heretofore covert P4M-1Q airborne electronic
> >intelligence activities were consolidated organizationally and
commissioned
> >as bona fide aircraft squadrons - VQ-1 on 1 June and VQ-2 on 1 September
> >1955. (The antecedent Communications Units and Airborne Early Warning
> >Squadron detachments were dissolved and combined in the new units.)
> >
> >A group of us who were "Plankowners" - present at the commissioning - of
one
> >or the other of the two squadrons have been in touch with one another and
we
> >are engaged in locating and contacting as many other plankowners as we
can
> >with the intention of making some kind of a presentation to the two
> >squadrons in recognition in 2005 of their half-century history.
> >
> >We have - through personal contacts, Association membership rosters and
live
> >sightings - managed to locate about fifty officer and enlisted from both
> >squadrons and we are now searching for the rest of the crowd. The
current
> >Holy Grail is the Squadron Log for the commissioning days, and we're in
> >contact with the Modern Military Branch of the National Archives and
Records
> >Administration in an attempt to track them down but I'm afraid that just
ain
> >'t going to work. I was in about five or six aviation commands and I
never
> >heard of the Squadron Logs being treated with the sanctity or gravity the
> >Ships Logs I used to have to sign each month when I drove the gray things
> >around.
> >
> >So two requests....anybody out there a P4M-1Q driver who's not on our
list
> >(you'd know if you were) and any suggestions (BuPers?) as to where I can
> >find two almost 50 year of Squadron logs? Thanks in advance!

Google