PDA

View Full Version : International Air Power Review - Volume 9

Ken Duffey
November 14th 03, 05:29 PM
The postman just delivered IAPR Vol 9 - so I thought I'd share the
contents with and go into smug mode 'cos I got mine and you aint !!

Contents list....

Air Power Intelligence
News Report - Operation Iraqi Freedom (yawn!)
Debrief
Aerostar's MiG-21 Upgrades
Swiss AF Wartime Bases
NATO Peacekeepers over Afghanistan
Focus Aircraft - Dassault Mirage 2000 (yawn!)
Photo Report - Botswana Defence Force
Air Power Analysis - Former Yugosvalia Part 2 Serbia & Montenegro,
Slovenia
Special Feature - PfP Helos
Variant File - B-52 Stratofortress Part 2 (B-52D to B-52J)
Combat Colours - Thunder over Italy (colourful Italian jets)
Warplane Classis - Tupolev Tu-16 'Badger'
Combat Colours - Before Barbarossa (colour pics of Luftwaffe)
Type Analysis - Westland Wyvern.

Now I usually look forward to the arrival of a new volume of IAPR - but
this one is very disappointing.

Operation Iraqi Freedom has already been covered in the monthly mags
(AFM, Air International etc) - and I don't think this piece adds
anything new.

I suppose that is one of the problems with a quarterly publication - by
the time it hits the shops, the news stuff is way out of date.

I can just about live with that - but IAPR are pulling my plonker with
the Tu-16 article !!!

I glanced through it - and thought "this looks familar - they have
re-worked their previous stuff" - but no, they haven't even bothered to
reformat it or add a couple of new pics - it is a straight lift from
their already published hardback 'Tupolev Bombers' - which itself was a
regurgitation of articles from previous IAPR and WAPJ's.

I now have the Badger article THREE times !!

Come on Airtime, if you want my custom in future, stop re-publishing the
same stuff !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Frank
November 14th 03, 11:53 PM
Ken Duffey > wrote in message >...
> The postman just delivered IAPR Vol 9 - so I thought I'd share the
> contents with and go into smug mode 'cos I got mine and you aint !!
>
> Contents list....
>
> Air Power Intelligence
> News Report - Operation Iraqi Freedom (yawn!)
> Debrief
> Aerostar's MiG-21 Upgrades
> Swiss AF Wartime Bases
> NATO Peacekeepers over Afghanistan
> Focus Aircraft - Dassault Mirage 2000 (yawn!)
> Photo Report - Botswana Defence Force
> Air Power Analysis - Former Yugosvalia Part 2 Serbia & Montenegro,
> Slovenia
> Special Feature - PfP Helos
> Variant File - B-52 Stratofortress Part 2 (B-52D to B-52J)
> Combat Colours - Thunder over Italy (colourful Italian jets)
> Warplane Classis - Tupolev Tu-16 'Badger'
> Combat Colours - Before Barbarossa (colour pics of Luftwaffe)
> Type Analysis - Westland Wyvern.
>
> Now I usually look forward to the arrival of a new volume of IAPR - but
> this one is very disappointing.
>
> Operation Iraqi Freedom has already been covered in the monthly mags
> (AFM, Air International etc) - and I don't think this piece adds
> anything new.
>
> I suppose that is one of the problems with a quarterly publication - by
> the time it hits the shops, the news stuff is way out of date.
>
> I can just about live with that - but IAPR are pulling my plonker with
> the Tu-16 article !!!
>
> I glanced through it - and thought "this looks familar - they have
> re-worked their previous stuff" - but no, they haven't even bothered to
> reformat it or add a couple of new pics - it is a straight lift from
> their already published hardback 'Tupolev Bombers' - which itself was a
> regurgitation of articles from previous IAPR and WAPJ's.
>
> I now have the Badger article THREE times !!
>
> Come on Airtime, if you want my custom in future, stop re-publishing the
> same stuff !!
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
> Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
> Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Mine hasn't come yet. B-52J? "J"??

Bill Banaszak
November 15th 03, 03:03 AM
Frank wrote:

> Ken Duffey > wrote in message >...
> > The postman just delivered IAPR Vol 9 - so I thought I'd share the
> > contents with and go into smug mode 'cos I got mine and you aint !!
> >
> > Contents list....
> >
> > Air Power Intelligence
> > News Report - Operation Iraqi Freedom (yawn!)
> > Debrief
> > Aerostar's MiG-21 Upgrades
> > Swiss AF Wartime Bases
> > NATO Peacekeepers over Afghanistan
> > Focus Aircraft - Dassault Mirage 2000 (yawn!)
> > Photo Report - Botswana Defence Force
> > Air Power Analysis - Former Yugosvalia Part 2 Serbia & Montenegro,
> > Slovenia
> > Special Feature - PfP Helos
> > Variant File - B-52 Stratofortress Part 2 (B-52D to B-52J)
> > Combat Colours - Thunder over Italy (colourful Italian jets)
> > Warplane Classis - Tupolev Tu-16 'Badger'
> > Combat Colours - Before Barbarossa (colour pics of Luftwaffe)
> > Type Analysis - Westland Wyvern.
> >
> > Now I usually look forward to the arrival of a new volume of IAPR - but
> > this one is very disappointing.
> >
> > Operation Iraqi Freedom has already been covered in the monthly mags
> > (AFM, Air International etc) - and I don't think this piece adds
> > anything new.
> >
> > I suppose that is one of the problems with a quarterly publication - by
> > the time it hits the shops, the news stuff is way out of date.
> >
> > I can just about live with that - but IAPR are pulling my plonker with
> > the Tu-16 article !!!
> >
> > I glanced through it - and thought "this looks familar - they have
> > re-worked their previous stuff" - but no, they haven't even bothered to
> > reformat it or add a couple of new pics - it is a straight lift from
> > their already published hardback 'Tupolev Bombers' - which itself was a
> > regurgitation of articles from previous IAPR and WAPJ's.
> >
> > I now have the Badger article THREE times !!
> >
> > Come on Airtime, if you want my custom in future, stop re-publishing the
> > same stuff !!
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
> > Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
> > Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
>
> Mine hasn't come yet. B-52J? "J"??

My thoughts exactly. What 'J'? Otherwise I tend to agree with Ken. No
need to open the wallet for this one.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Tony Volk
November 15th 03, 03:25 AM
> Come on Airtime, if you want my custom in future, stop re-publishing the
> same stuff !!

That's depressing. WAPJ was really great (WoF good too), but it seems
that IAPR is running out of steam with some of their recent publications.
Perhaps not surprising in that there are only so many planes to talk about,
and only so much information available to the company. I think they could
certainly make better use of experiences, comments, and stories from actual
aircrews (and even from maintenance folks). That would fill up a couple of
pages and provide another interesting aspect to the technical facts that
they present.
What was it like flying the Badger? Compared to other bombers? How
credible of a threat did they believe they posed to U.S. carrier groups?
What was their probable survivability? Any interesting emergencies, test
flights, or funny incidents? Sure, this isn't pure, hard aviation
journalism, but it would certainly help freshen up old factual material by
providing entertaining anecdotal and circumstantial information.

Tony

William H. Shuey
November 15th 03, 04:43 AM
Bill Banaszak wrote:

> Mine hasn't come yet. B-52J? "J"??
>
> My thoughts exactly. What 'J'? Otherwise I tend to agree with Ken. No
> need to open the wallet for this one.
>
> Bill Banaszak, MFE

Ummm! I think B-52J was the designation given to a one off bird
modified from another suffix for some special test work. May not have
been a completely official Air Force designator. Memory at 65 isn't what
it used to be.

Bill Shuey

Ken Duffey
November 15th 03, 10:32 AM
Frank wrote:

> Ken Duffey > wrote in message >...
> > The postman just delivered IAPR Vol 9 - so I thought I'd share the
> > contents with and go into smug mode 'cos I got mine and you aint !!
> >
> > Contents list....
> >
> > Air Power Intelligence
> > News Report - Operation Iraqi Freedom (yawn!)
> > Debrief
> > Aerostar's MiG-21 Upgrades
> > Swiss AF Wartime Bases
> > NATO Peacekeepers over Afghanistan
> > Focus Aircraft - Dassault Mirage 2000 (yawn!)
> > Photo Report - Botswana Defence Force
> > Air Power Analysis - Former Yugosvalia Part 2 Serbia & Montenegro,
> > Slovenia
> > Special Feature - PfP Helos
> > Variant File - B-52 Stratofortress Part 2 (B-52D to B-52J)
> > Combat Colours - Thunder over Italy (colourful Italian jets)
> > Warplane Classis - Tupolev Tu-16 'Badger'
> > Combat Colours - Before Barbarossa (colour pics of Luftwaffe)
> > Type Analysis - Westland Wyvern.
> >
> > Now I usually look forward to the arrival of a new volume of IAPR - but
> > this one is very disappointing.
> >
> > Operation Iraqi Freedom has already been covered in the monthly mags
> > (AFM, Air International etc) - and I don't think this piece adds
> > anything new.
> >
> > I suppose that is one of the problems with a quarterly publication - by
> > the time it hits the shops, the news stuff is way out of date.
> >
> > I can just about live with that - but IAPR are pulling my plonker with
> > the Tu-16 article !!!
> >
> > I glanced through it - and thought "this looks familar - they have
> > re-worked their previous stuff" - but no, they haven't even bothered to
> > reformat it or add a couple of new pics - it is a straight lift from
> > their already published hardback 'Tupolev Bombers' - which itself was a
> > regurgitation of articles from previous IAPR and WAPJ's.
> >
> > I now have the Badger article THREE times !!
> >
> > Come on Airtime, if you want my custom in future, stop re-publishing the
> > same stuff !!
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
> > Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
> > Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
>
> Mine hasn't come yet. B-52J? "J"??

I should have written it as 'B-52J' - inside speech marks - as it is in IAPR.

It is the proposed B-52H re-engined with four Rolls-Royce RB-211's

They provide a Boeing illustration of what it might have looked like.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Pechs1
November 15th 03, 03:07 PM
<< The postman just delivered IAPR Vol 9 >><BR><BR>

Have a address/web site, etc so I can subscribe??
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

José Herculano
November 15th 03, 05:52 PM
> Have a address/web site, etc so I can subscribe??
> P. C. Chisholm

http://www.airtimepublishing.com/

_____________
José Herculano

Bill Banaszak
November 16th 03, 02:40 AM
"William H. Shuey" wrote:

> Bill Banaszak wrote:
> >
> > Mine hasn't come yet. B-52J? "J"??
> >
> > My thoughts exactly. What 'J'? Otherwise I tend to agree with Ken. No
> > need to open the wallet for this one.
> >
> > Bill Banaszak, MFE
>
> Ummm! I think B-52J was the designation given to a one off bird
> modified from another suffix for some special test work. May not have
> been a completely official Air Force designator. Memory at 65 isn't what
> it used to be.
>
> Bill Shuey

Sounds reasonable and my memory was never what it used to be. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

News Groups
November 16th 03, 04:23 AM
According to the IAPR B-52J was a Boeing proposed re-engining with RR
turbofans to increase range save gas you know all that stuff. 10 years ago
it may have been financially viable. Too short a life left in the planes to
recoup the investment. Never went passed the drawing board.

om...

Google