PDA

View Full Version : Got the itch...

Pechs1
November 15th 03, 03:11 PM
After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can scare
up-any suggestions??

'Will fly for food' sign?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Yeff
November 15th 03, 03:19 PM
On 15 Nov 2003 15:11:40 GMT, Pechs1 wrote:

> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can scare
> up-any suggestions??
>
> 'Will fly for food' sign?

Here ya go: <http://tinyurl.com/v4dq>

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

Harriet and John
November 15th 03, 05:58 PM
Don't know how current you are in anything, but I just retired from this
outfit....worth a look:
http://www.netjets.com/careers/careers.asp
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can
scare
> up-any suggestions??
>
> 'Will fly for food' sign?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Vaughn
November 15th 03, 06:40 PM
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can
scare
> up-any suggestions??

If you are looking for a job that is one thing; but if you are just
looking to "scratch the itch" in a fun and challenging way, do like lots of
other retired military and airline pilots and take up soaring.

Vaughn (CFIg)

> 'Will fly for food' sign?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Larry
November 15th 03, 07:37 PM
> Here ya go: <http://tinyurl.com/v4dq>
LMAO!

Once again da Chief says "Get a haircut!" :-)

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Yeff" > wrote in message
> On 15 Nov 2003 15:11:40 GMT, Pechs1 wrote:
>
> > After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> > again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i
can scare
> > up-any suggestions??
> >
> > 'Will fly for food' sign?
>
> Here ya go: <http://tinyurl.com/v4dq>
>
> -Jeff B.
> yeff at erols dot com

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
November 15th 03, 11:45 PM
On 11/15/03 12:40 PM, in article
, "Vaughn"
> wrote:

> "Pechs1" > wrote in message
>> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
>> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can
> scare
>> up-any suggestions??
>
> If you are looking for a job that is one thing; but if you are just
> looking to "scratch the itch" in a fun and challenging way, do like lots of
> other retired military and airline pilots and take up soaring.
>
> Vaughn (CFIg)
>

>> 'Will fly for food' sign?
>> P. C. Chisholm
>> CDR, USN(ret.)
>> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
> Phlyer

Pechs,

I'm interested in knowing what you actually decide upon.

--Woody

tom c
November 16th 03, 02:34 AM
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can
scare
> up-any suggestions??

Civil Air Patrol?

TC

Pechs1
November 16th 03, 03:11 PM
zoomie-<< Here ya go: <http://tinyurl.com/v4dq> >><BR><BR>

Thanks, what squadron was that guy in??

Everytime I see a guy like him, I say to my wife, " another retired Naval
Aviator", if he is really in tough shape, he is a 'retired CAG'
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
November 16th 03, 03:14 PM
bravoz-<< Don't know how current you are in anything, but I just retired from
this
outfit....worth a look: >><BR><BR>

Not current in anything(altho I have an ATP), but not really interested in
wearing a blue suit and being gone any more...BTDT....

Want a local flying 'job', or perhaps buying a share in a bugsmasher. Renting
for $100 an hour just to make noise outta avgas just isn't in my future.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
November 16th 03, 03:17 PM
Doug-<< Pechs,

I'm interested in knowing what you actually decide upon.
>><BR><BR>

I'll let ya know. Knew the airlaines was not something I wanted(OBE now
anyway). Wearing a blue suit and being gone 50% of the time was something I did
for 20 years, no mas....

Looking at perhaps buying a share of some small, tandem, cloth covered, 'nose
wheel in the back'(taildragger) type aircraft, so to not have to pay $100 per
hour for making noise outta avgas. Just want to fly around....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
November 16th 03, 03:18 PM
Tom-<< Civil Air Patrol? >><BR><BR>

think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Leanne
November 16th 03, 03:33 PM
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> Tom-<< Civil Air Patrol? >><BR><BR>
>
> think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.

Not necessarily. Many wings supply aircraft to the squadrons. All pilots
are volunteers. Funding may have changed since I gave it up, but the
only paid missions were, for SAR, assigned by Scott AFB or by the
state for training exercises. Any othe flying (training/currency) was out
of pocket, but was reasonable. The main reason I dropped out was the
politics and, as a 30 military year retiree, being treated like a snuffy by
former WW II Corporals and Privates wearing LtCol leaves.

Leanne
Former Sqdn Cmdr SC Wing

Vaughn
November 16th 03, 04:42 PM
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> Doug-<< Pechs,
>
> I'm interested in knowing what you actually decide upon.
> >><BR><BR>
>
> I'll let ya know. Knew the airlaines was not something I wanted(OBE now
> anyway). Wearing a blue suit and being gone 50% of the time was something
I did
> for 20 years, no mas....
>
> Looking at perhaps buying a share of some small, tandem, cloth covered,
'nose
> wheel in the back'(taildragger) type aircraft, so to not have to pay $100
per
> hour for making noise outta avgas. Just want to fly around....

Ever think of instructing? If you don't mind working for peanuts,
there are always gigs out there; and there are finally some new trainers out
there so you are not condemned to flying junk.

I have a little flying job (that I insist be only one day a week)
instructing in sailplanes and giving sailplane rides. I suppose they pay
me, but the money is not the object; I think of it as a "free hobby" and a
free way to "scratch the itch". My favorite part of the job is the rides,
there is something wonderful about being up in the air with someone who is
wide-eyed and having the time of their life. My students are about 50-50
ab-initio vs. older power pilots transitioning to gliders. There is also
the soaring job at the other end of the rope...flying the tow plane, usually
something with the nose wheel in the back.

Vaughn

Bill Kambic
November 16th 03, 06:15 PM
"Leanne" wrote in message

> > think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.
>
> Not necessarily. Many wings supply aircraft to the squadrons. All pilots
> are volunteers.

In MI when I was in H.S. they had a couple of Aeronca Champs and a 172,
donated by folks and maintained by bakes sales, airplane washes, etc.

In WI in the mid-'70s we had a 172, DeHaviland Beaver, and one or two others
with the maintenance donated by Kearny-Trecker.

In both places many members did own their own aircraft and donated a lot of
time.

Funding may have changed since I gave it up, but the
> only paid missions were, for SAR, assigned by Scott AFB or by the
> state for training exercises.

My recollection, also.

Any othe flying (training/currency) was out
> of pocket, but was reasonable.

Ayup. A good way to get some "free" time was to take the Cadets up on some
of the syllabus flights that taught basic pilotage and other nav. skills.
Funding for that came from donated funds in both places.

The main reason I dropped out was the
> politics and, as a 30 military year retiree, being treated like a snuffy
by
> former WW II Corporals and Privates wearing LtCol leaves.

Ain't it the truth!!!!!

And the PAPERWORK! Imagine U.S.A.F. regulations, reports, and general ethos
applied to a part time organization with almost no funding.

Still, the CAP helped get me through private pilot ground school. In WI it
was a way to get some free flight time. And it is a VERY worthwhile
organization to help youngsters stay away from some of society's less savory
passtimes.

And, of course, the Navy Wings got more than a few stares, comments, and
inquiries!<g>

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

nafod40
November 16th 03, 06:38 PM
Got taildragger time? Go find a soaring operation, and volunteer to be
tow pilot. You'll work your way into gliders too, which is probably the
most fun you can have flying, civilian-wise.

Pechs1 wrote:
> bravoz-<< Don't know how current you are in anything, but I just retired from
> this
> outfit....worth a look: >><BR><BR>
>
> Not current in anything(altho I have an ATP), but not really interested in
> wearing a blue suit and being gone any more...BTDT....
>
> Want a local flying 'job', or perhaps buying a share in a bugsmasher. Renting
> for $100 an hour just to make noise outta avgas just isn't in my future.
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye Phlyer

Pechs1
November 17th 03, 02:59 PM
naf-<< Got taildragger time? >><BR><BR>

Nope but my next A/C is gonna be one....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Chris Spierings
November 17th 03, 09:38 PM
Didn't do 30 years but did look into CAP. Good cause, should have known
that something was up with the local wing lost its based plane due. My
wife worked with one of the ground CAP guys and was encouraging me to
have a look.

Met the guys in the wing... The two or three pilots at the time were
nice guys. One of them was a CFI I'd run across a time or two with very
poor judgement. I believe the FAA took action against him eventually.

Then I met the recruiting officer who was OK until he found out I was a
pilot. The next words out of his mouth were you better not think this
is a flying club, you will be expected to do all the other stuff too.
Then I learned I'd be reporting to that guy later on and he was big into
the drill and spit and polish. Nothing like being drilled by a wannabe.

Sorry been there done that. Got paid to put up with that BS before why
would I do it now for free. If I'm gonna consider doing that I'd be
better off talking to the local ARNG or Army Reserve and seeing if they
can use a 40ish year old pilot.

Pechs,

I've got time in a few GA planes. For the money an Aeronca 7AC is a
nice and simple plane. The third wheel is in the right spot too.
Prices are still relatively low for decent ones and parts aren't too
hard to find. I've got time in two of them locally, one an 7AC and the
other an L-16. Pretty economical in terms of fuel use too. It can be
embarassing though to be doing IFR (I follow roads)in a Champ and having
cars pass you by.

Chris

Leanne wrote:
> "Pechs1" > wrote in message
>
>>Tom-<< Civil Air Patrol? >><BR><BR>
>>
>>think ya gotta own yer aircraft. I don't think they 'employ' pilots.
>

> Not necessarily. Many wings supply aircraft to the squadrons. All pilots
> are volunteers. Funding may have changed since I gave it up, but the
> only paid missions were, for SAR, assigned by Scott AFB or by the
> state for training exercises. Any othe flying (training/currency) was out
> of pocket, but was reasonable. The main reason I dropped out was the
> politics and, as a 30 military year retiree, being treated like a snuffy by
> former WW II Corporals and Privates wearing LtCol leaves.
>
> Leanne
> Former Sqdn Cmdr SC Wing

WDA
November 17th 03, 10:11 PM
Want to fly cheap?

Go to your local ultralight airport and find some poor fool who can't make
the payments on his new toy. Give him half of what it's worth, take a
refresher course on today's "rules of the road", then head for the blue! No
license needed if you do not carry passengers, etc.

It's the second most fun you can ever have without your "tailhook"!

WDA

end

"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> After wandering around this Aviation NG, gotta find a way to fly
> again...anything. Small business ownership is a PIA, gotta see what i can
scare
> up-any suggestions??
>
> 'Will fly for food' sign?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Bill Kambic
November 18th 03, 02:40 AM
"Chris Spierings" wrote in message

Snipped for brevity>

> I've got time in a few GA planes. For the money an Aeronca 7AC is a
> nice and simple plane. The third wheel is in the right spot too.
> Prices are still relatively low for decent ones and parts aren't too
> hard to find. I've got time in two of them locally, one an 7AC and the
> other an L-16. Pretty economical in terms of fuel use too. It can be
> embarassing though to be doing IFR (I follow roads)in a Champ and having
> cars pass you by.

Damn, talk about a trip down memory lane!

I took lessons at McKinley Field near Detroit during the summer of '64.
They had two Champs, IIRC, a 65 hp and a 90 hp (I would have to dig out my
old log books to check the numbers). The 65 hp bird had no electrical
system and air-ground comm was open the window and yell (and they could hear
you; and you could hear them <GG>).

The 90 hp bird had an electrical system, a "coffee grinder" VHF comm VOR
receiver. Was the preferred cross country bird for students. While it had
an electrical system, it did not have an electric starter. You either had
to get "propped" or you could use a ingenious "ratchet" system. By the
pilot's left leg there was a large handle that connected to a gear at the
nose of the engine. You could do the "switch off-contact" routine all by
yourself. Took a pretty good pull.

When they got a C150, just before I took my test, it was seen as the Bently
of trainers (it had a crystal controlled nav/comm AND an electric starter).

Damn, sometimes I feel old.<g>

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

Google