PDA

View Full Version : P6M Seamaster info?

Thomas Schoene
November 21st 03, 12:58 AM
Anyone got any reliable sources on the P6M? I've done some web hunting and
found some useful info, but also some glaring errors (Many sites claim it
carried only 4,000 lbs of bombs, and several list an armament of several
twin .50-cal machineguns.)

Specifically, I'm looking for how much fuel the plane had and where it was
carried (wings or fuselage).

Also, electronics planned would be nice (radar, radios, any countermeasures
systems, etc.)

Many thanks.
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

WDA
November 21st 03, 09:39 PM
Try the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola or the Naval Historical Center in
Washington D. C.

WDA

end

"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anyone got any reliable sources on the P6M? I've done some web hunting
and
> found some useful info, but also some glaring errors (Many sites claim it
> carried only 4,000 lbs of bombs, and several list an armament of several
> twin .50-cal machineguns.)
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for how much fuel the plane had and where it was
> carried (wings or fuselage).
>
> Also, electronics planned would be nice (radar, radios, any
countermeasures
> systems, etc.)
>
> Many thanks.
> --
> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Thomas Schoene
November 22nd 03, 01:43 PM
WDA wrote:
> Try the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola or the Naval Historical
> Center in Washington D. C.
>
> WDA

I was hoping for something a little less time-intensive. Just looking to
satisfy some curiousity, not write a book. (Indeed, I was hoping someone
had already written a book.)
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

John Fitzpatrick
November 22nd 03, 09:38 PM
I assume you are aware of the book "Martin P6M Seamaster" by Martineer
Press? Probably has everthing you are looking for. Problem is, it's going to
cost about $35.

"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anyone got any reliable sources on the P6M? I've done some web hunting
and
> found some useful info, but also some glaring errors (Many sites claim it
> carried only 4,000 lbs of bombs, and several list an armament of several
> twin .50-cal machineguns.)
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for how much fuel the plane had and where it was
> carried (wings or fuselage).
>
> Also, electronics planned would be nice (radar, radios, any
countermeasures
> systems, etc.)
>
> Many thanks.
> --
> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Thomas Schoene
November 22nd 03, 10:10 PM
John Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I assume you are aware of the book "Martin P6M Seamaster" by
> Martineer Press? Probably has everthing you are looking for. Problem
> is, it's going to cost about $35.

Now I am. Thanks.

If I could find one for $35, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But the best I can
find online is $60+ (from an Australian dealer). Amazon wants to sell me
one for $190, which is extortionate.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Pat Carpenter
November 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
Just checked and Amazon.Com has a second hand copy at $49.99 from a
store in Texas. Worth a look?

Pat
Carpenter

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:10:13 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
> wrote:

>Martin P6M Seamaste

John Fitzpatrick
November 23rd 03, 11:02 AM
Aeroplanebooks.com in Virgina has it listed for $34.95. They have an 800
number that could probably give you shipping charges to Australia.

John

"Thomas Schoene" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> John Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I assume you are aware of the book "Martin P6M Seamaster" by
> > Martineer Press? Probably has everthing you are looking for. Problem
> > is, it's going to cost about $35.
>
> Now I am. Thanks.
>
> If I could find one for $35, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But the best I
can
> find online is $60+ (from an Australian dealer). Amazon wants to sell me
> one for $190, which is extortionate.
>
> --
> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Thomas Schoene
November 23rd 03, 01:19 PM
John Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Aeroplanebooks.com in Virgina has it listed for $34.95.

Thank you! These guys didn't turn up in my various web searches, but they
seem to fit the bill.

> They have an 800 number that could probably give you shipping
> charges to Australia.

Actually, I'm in Virginia, which is why the Australian dealer was so
noteworthy. Buying a book from half way around the world seemed a bit
extravagant.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Tiger
November 24th 03, 01:30 AM
Thomas Schoene wrote:

> Anyone got any reliable sources on the P6M? I've done some web hunting and
> found some useful info, but also some glaring errors (Many sites claim it
> carried only 4,000 lbs of bombs, and several list an armament of several
> twin .50-cal machineguns.)
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for how much fuel the plane had and where it was
> carried (wings or fuselage).
>
> Also, electronics planned would be nice (radar, radios, any countermeasures
> systems, etc.)
>
> Many thanks.
> --
> Tom Schoene Replace "invalid" with "net" to e-mail
> "If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
> special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Try these links: VP navy at Http://www.vpnavy.com/aircraft_p6m_history.html
Vindication for the P-6M Seamaster at
http://www.geocites.com/itsg.geo/p6mseamaster.htm

Thomas Schoene
November 26th 03, 01:54 AM
Thomas Schoene wrote:
> John Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Aeroplanebooks.com in Virgina has it listed for $34.95.
>
> Thank you! These guys didn't turn up in my various web searches, but
> they seem to fit the bill.

Quick followup. I really need to put in a good word for the folks at
www.aeroplanebooks.com . I placed the order on Sunday, got a shipment
confirmation on Monday, and received the book on Tuesday. Remarkable.

And the book looks like it's got pretty much everything I wanted.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Google