PDA

View Full Version : Some Funnies

Elmshoot
November 27th 03, 04:10 PM
I hope every one has a great Thanksgiving. God Bless those in harms way.
Sparky

The only three things a wingman should ever say are:

1. Two's up.
2. Lead, you're on fire.
3. I'll take the fat chick.

....and in a multi-place aircraft, there are only three things the copilot
should ever say:
1. Nice landing, Sir.
2. I'll buy the first round.
3. I'll take the fat chick.

As a new copilot on American Airlines, I was told to say these three things,
and otherwise keep my mouth shut and not touch anything:
1. Clear on the right.
2. Outer (marker) on the double (indicator)
3. I'll eat the chicken. (Crew meals consisted of one steak and one chicken
to avoid possible food poisoning of the cockpit crew).

About Fighter Pilots
1. As an aviator in flight you can do anything you want...
As long as it's right... And we'll let you know if it's right after you get
down.

2. You can't fly forever without getting killed.

3. As a fighter pilot only two bad things can happen to you and one of them
will:
a. One day you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last
flight in a fighter.
b. One day you will walk out to the airplane not knowing that it is your last
flight in a fighter.

4. Success is being able to walk to your F.E.B.

5. There are Rules and there are Laws. The rules are made by men who think
that they know better how to fly your airplane than you. The Laws (of Physics)
were made by the Great One. You can, and sometimes should, suspend the Rules
but you can never suspend the Laws.

6. More about Rules:
a. The rules are a good place to hide if you don't have a better idea and the
talent to execute it.
b. If you deviate from a rule, it must be a flawless performance. (e.g., If
you fly under a bridge, don't hit the bridge.)

7. The A-6 Attack pilot and B/N team is the highest form of life on earth.

8. The ideal fighter pilot is the perfect blend of discipline and
aggressiveness.

9. About check rides:
a. The only real objective of a check ride is to complete it and get the
******* out of your airplane.
b. It has never occurred to any flight examiner that the examinee couldn't
care less what the examiner's opinion of his flying ability really is.

10. The medical profession is the natural enemy of the aviation profession.

11. The job of the Wing Commander is to worry incessantly that his career
depends solely on the abilities of his aviators to fly their airplanes without
mishap and that their only minuscule contribution to the effort is to bet their
lives on it.

12. Ever notice that the only experts who decree that the age of the pilot is
over are people who have never flown anything? Also, in spite of the intensity
of their feelings that the pilot's day is over I know of no such expert who has
volunteered to be a passenger in a non-piloted aircraft.

13. It is absolutely imperative that the fighter pilot be unpredictable.
Rebelliousness is very predictable. In the end, conforming almost all the time
is the best way to be unpredictable.

14. He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he
that demands one iota more is a fool.

15. If you're gonna fly low, do not fly slow!

16. It is solely the pilot's responsibility to never let any other thing touch
his aircraft.

17. If you can learn how to fly as a Lt. and not forget how to fly by the
time you're an O6 you will have lived a happy life.

18. About night flying:
a. Remember that the airplane doesn't know that it's dark.
b. On a clear, moonless night, never fly between the tanker's lights.
c. There are certain aircraft sounds that can only be heard at night.
d. If you're going to night fly, it might as well be in the weather so you can
double count your exposure to both hazards.
e. Night formation is really an endless series of near misses in equilibrium
with each other.
f. You would have to pay a lot of money at a lot of amusement parks and
perhaps add a few drugs, to get the same blend of psychedelic sensations as a
single engine night weather flight on the wing.

19. One of the most important skills that a pilot must develop is the skill to
ignore those things that were designed by non-pilots to get the pilot's
attention.

20. At the end of the day, the controllers, ops supervisors, maintenance guys,
weather guessers, and birds; they're all trying to kill you and your job is to
not let them!

21. The concept of "controlling" airspace with radar is just a form of FAA
sarcasm directed at fighter pilots to see if they're gullible enough to swallow
it.
Or to put it another way, when's the last time the FAA ever shot anyone down?

22. Remember that the radio is only an electronic suggestion box for the
pilot. Sometimes the only way to clear up a problem is to turn it off.

23. It is a tacit, yet profound admission of the pre-eminence of flying in the
hierarchy of the human spirit, that those who seek to control aviators via
threats always threaten to take one's wings and not one's life.

24. Remember when flying low and inverted that the rudder still works the same
old way but hopefully your IP never taught you "pull stick back, plane go up".

25. Mastering the prohibited maneuvers in the dash-1 is one of the best forms
of aviation life insurance you can get.

26. A tactic done twice is a procedure. (Refer to unpredictability discussion
above)

27. The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by
that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there
are no G-limits.

28. One of the beautiful things about a single piloted aircraft is the quality
of the social experience.

29. If a mother has the slightest suspicion that her infant might grow up to
be a pilot, she had better teach him to put things back where he got them.

30. The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the
countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and
wish.

31. Any flight over water in a single engine fighter will absolutely guarantee
abnormal engine noises and vibrations

Pechs1
November 28th 03, 03:56 PM
elmshoot-<< The only three things a wingman should ever say are:

1. Two's up.
2. Lead, you're on fire.
3. I'll take the fat chick. >><BR><BR>

What to never say to your RIO-

1)-what's that?

2)-watch this.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Gordon
November 28th 03, 04:57 PM
#1 thing a GIB never wants to hear a pilot mumble is, "Uh-oh."

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
November 29th 03, 12:33 AM
On 11/28/03 9:56 AM, in article
, "Pechs1" >
wrote:

> elmshoot-<< The only three things a wingman should ever say are:
>
> 1. Two's up.
> 2. Lead, you're on fire.
> 3. I'll take the fat chick. >><BR><BR>
>
> What to never say to your RIO-
>
> 1)-what's that?
>
> 2)-watch this.

Reminds me of the USAF exchange dude at VA-95 on their WESTPAC '93. He was
-2 of a flight of two in which lead was shooting some video with his
personal camera--aileron rolls, inverted flight, knife edge... you get the
picture.

When they were done with the briefed stuff -2 offered some direction (with
no additional explanation):

Point the camera steady out front, hold 200 knots and (here's the phrase)
watch this.

He approached from behind and below at about 450 knots (or whatever mil
power gave him). When he was about 20-30 feet below lead's aircraft and saw
the turret of the other jet pass overhead, he smartly hauled back on the
stick.

The tail of his aircraft was sheared off by the nose of his lead. All four
dudes punched out and lived to tell about it.

Lead and his wingman were exonerated. -2 B/N was slapped on the wrist for
not being assertive enough to put a stop to it. The Navy and the USAF
fought for several months over who would get to take away -2 pilot's wings.
The USAF eventually won that battle.

--Woody

John Carrier
November 29th 03, 12:24 PM
> > What to never say to your RIO-
> >
> > 1)-what's that?
> >
> > 2)-watch this.

3)-Uh, we've got a problem.
4)-Groan! My chest! (particularly effective prior to a night recovery.)

R / John

November 29th 03, 04:47 PM
"Gordon" > wrote in message
> #1 thing a GIB never wants to hear a pilot mumble is, "Uh-oh."

Don't you mean "Oh ****!" Reputably the most common expression used by
pilots during VietEx.

Red Rider

Eric Moore
November 30th 03, 02:35 AM
More humor at:

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/default.asp?target=funny_flight_stories.htm

and

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/default.asp?target=20001215.htm

and

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/default.asp?target=pilots.htm

and

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/default.asp?target=20010406.htm

and

http://www.strategypage.com/humor/default.asp?target=20021002.htm

gizmo-goddard
November 30th 03, 04:32 AM
"John Carrier" > wrote in message
> > > What to never say to your RIO-
> > >
> > > 1)-what's that?
> > >
> > > 2)-watch this.
>
> 3)-Uh, we've got a problem.
> 4)-Groan! My chest! (particularly effective prior to a night recovery.)

Here's one that really got my attention:

After the fourth night bolter, pilot says, "I don't think I can land this
one. We're gonna have to step out of the jet."

__!_!__
Gizmo

Gordon
November 30th 03, 06:12 AM

>After the fourth night bolter, pilot says, "I don't think I can land this
>one. We're gonna have to step out of the jet."

That's why they provide that fancy 90-degree angle flashlight - you can toss it
around corners and knock a little sense into him!

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
November 30th 03, 01:19 PM
On 11/30/03 12:12 AM, in article
, "Gordon"
> wrote:

>> After the fourth night bolter, pilot says, "I don't think I can land this
>> one. We're gonna have to step out of the jet."
>
> That's why they provide that fancy 90-degree angle flashlight - you can toss
> it
> around corners and knock a little sense into him!

That's funny.

We had a pilot that boltered four times with nearly identical passes
something like...

(H)CDIM, TMP.COIC, _HFB_AR B/

Forgive my shorthand, I have too much integrity to be an LSO. After his
obligatory trip to the tanker, he came back around only to show the same
pass again.

At about the "in the middle" position, the B/N says, "Here we go AGAIN."

_LOIM-IC_ 1 -

Probably the only reason they got aboard.

--Woody

Gordon
December 1st 03, 03:24 AM

>We had a pilot that boltered four times with nearly identical passes
>something like...
>
>(H)CDIM, TMP.COIC, _HFB_AR B/

Looks like he was chasing the fantail to me. Too easy for me to judge a skill
I will never possess, so I'll just hush.

>Forgive my shorthand, I have too much integrity to be an LSO. After his
>obligatory trip to the tanker, he came back around only to show the same
>pass again.
>
>At about the "in the middle" position, the B/N says, "Here we go AGAIN."

I always wanted to ride A-6s - B/N seemed like a red hot job to me, but I would
have settled for riding in the backseat of a Queer. Wait. That didn't..
errr.. I mean I wanted to be an EWO in EA-6Bs, but they cancelled that program
while I was in aircrew school. Jeez, who gives these airplanes nicknames
anyways?!

>_LOIM-IC_ 1 -
>
>Probably the only reason they got aboard.

During workups in 1980, we had a former F-4 RIO sitting behind an F-14 pilot
trying to come aboard IKE under severely glassy conditions off Florida, en
route to Gitmo. After the first bolter, the pilot tried a more aggressive
approach and hit the deck pretty solidly on his second pass, but he failed to
grab a wire and let his frustration get the best of him. As he hopped back off
the deck, he hauled back on the stick, giving all of us deck apes a lovely view
of his burners as he pointed the nose upward. Lots of "WOWWWS!" going on,
followed by a pair of loud "pops", and both crewmen shot out of the canopy of
their suddenly unmanned jet. It flew off toward Cuba, requiring someone else
from our airwing to go out to shoot it down, but later it succumbed on its own
accord. What we heard later was that the F-4 RIO had a bad experience in his
past and even though he transitioned to F-14s, he still had that old memory
screwing with him - when the pilot boltered and went clawing for the sky, the
RIO blew them both out. The two were rescued immediately, but were not exactly
"ok" - the pilot was about ready to rip the former RIO apart, even as they were
brought back aboard. Talk about a grand mal faux pas! If I recall correctly,
the man was flown off the ship within a day or two of this career suicide.

To Wil Dossel - any other good Ike stories you can remember...?

v/r
Gordon
<====(A+C====>
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Charlie Wolf
December 1st 03, 04:08 AM
On 28 Nov 2003 15:56:31 GMT, (Pechs1) wrote:

>elmshoot-<< The only three things a wingman should ever say are:
>
>1. Two's up.
>2. Lead, you're on fire.
>3. I'll take the fat chick. >><BR><BR>
>
>What to never say to your RIO-
>
>1)-what's that?
>
>2)-watch this.

.... and 3) "Ah ****"
Regards,

>P. C. Chisholm
>CDR, USN(ret.)
>Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye Phlyer

nafod40
December 1st 03, 02:23 PM
Pechs1 wrote:
> elmshoot-<< The only three things a wingman should ever say are:
>
> 1. Two's up.
> 2. Lead, you're on fire.
> 3. I'll take the fat chick. >><BR><BR>
>
> What to never say to your RIO-
>
> 1)-what's that?
>
> 2)-watch this.

True story. Positive change of controls, please.

What you don't want to hear in your dual piloted Buckeye, passing 1500'
30 degrees nose down, 60 degrees AOB near the threshold for a SHB.

"Hey Slick, are you flying or am I?"

Gordon
December 1st 03, 04:52 PM
>What you don't want to hear in your dual piloted Buckeye, passing 1500' 30
>degrees nose down, 60 degrees AOB near the threshold for a SHB."Hey Slick,
>are you flying or am I?"

LOL

Will Dossel
December 1st 03, 05:46 PM
(Gordon) wrote in message >...
(snip)
> During workups in 1980, we had a former F-4 RIO sitting behind an F-14 pilot
> trying to come aboard IKE under severely glassy conditions off Florida, en
> route to Gitmo. After the first bolter, the pilot tried a more aggressive
> approach and hit the deck pretty solidly on his second pass, but he failed to
> grab a wire and let his frustration get the best of him. As he hopped back off
> the deck, he hauled back on the stick, giving all of us deck apes a lovely view
> of his burners as he pointed the nose upward. Lots of "WOWWWS!" going on,
> followed by a pair of loud "pops", and both crewmen shot out of the canopy of
> their suddenly unmanned jet. It flew off toward Cuba, requiring someone else
> from our airwing to go out to shoot it down, but later it succumbed on its own
> accord. What we heard later was that the F-4 RIO had a bad experience in his
> past and even though he transitioned to F-14s, he still had that old memory
> screwing with him - when the pilot boltered and went clawing for the sky, the
> RIO blew them both out. The two were rescued immediately, but were not exactly
> "ok" - the pilot was about ready to rip the former RIO apart, even as they were
> brought back aboard. Talk about a grand mal faux pas! If I recall correctly,
> the man was flown off the ship within a day or two of this career suicide.
>
> To Will Dossel - any other good Ike stories you can remember...?

OK -- I'll bite :)

1) Workups on IKE, again, but later (1981?) F-14 bolters, *big*
settle off the ramp and crew ejects -- in the meantime, all us PLAT
fliers are up in Ready #2 doing some fancy hand flying as we watch the
PLAT camera follow the curving upward flight of the Tomcat
ASCM...until we all (PLAT cameraman and Ready @ fliers) figured out
about the same time that the path was taking the Tomcat back at IKE
and all sought deep (very deep) shelter, very quickly I might add...
Tomcat ended up a couple hundred yards of the port bow.

2) Nugget ACO (rear most seat in E-2C, right under the ditching
hatch) on my 20th flight in the squadron on workups...CICO (center
position and mission commander) is an AWACS exchange/senior O-3 type.
Two senior first tour O-3's up front, beautiful CAT-1 type day. I'm
looking out the window waiting to see steel (water, water,
steel...we're home) when I hear a "power, Power, POWER!" call, but it
didn't sound like it came over the radio. Being a nugget I didn't say
anything as power was applied and we began climbing out to re-enter
the pattern. On the climb, the LSO comes up and asks why we added
power -- long pause and front end replied that tey thought the call
had come from the LSO, which was followed by a prompt "Negative"
Longer pause...CICO chimes in on the ICS that he thought we were low
and needed power. Let me hit the Pause button and 'splain a few
things re. the Hawkeye:
- The view out the backend windows is marginally worse than that
from a passenger jet, and that's from the ACO's view. It gets
progressively worse as you move up to the CICO and finally RO
positions...from the CICO position you will see a good bit of the
inboard starboard Nacelle (good for checking the gear down and locked
and any oil leaks -- another story) and, well, water (or wake) as one
drills in on approach.
- We are on "Hot mic" for launch and recovery, such that the ICS is
voice activated rather than a push-to-talk "Cold mic" setup for
obvious safety reasons

Back to the story -- CICO claims he could tell we were dangersously
low by "the size of the bubbles in the wake" Dead silence on the
ICS...I'm sitting there wondering what the UCMJ penalites are for
watching a homicide take place and not intervening, because for sure,
that was going to happen on landing. And if it didn't come from the
front, the RO (one of the last of the VAW Flight Techs) and I probably
would have done it ourselves (is that pre-meditated?) Well, several
much senior (and burlier) folks met us on landing and placed
themselves between the potential belligerents, escorting them (via
separate ways) below -- mission debiref was short and noteable by the
absence of the CICO and pilots...long story short, he wasn't around
much longer as the blue suiters took him back to AWACS-land. While no
official beatings were administered or logged, I understand there may
have been a blanket party involved.... ;)

Will Dossel
Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)

Gordon
December 1st 03, 05:57 PM
oooOOooooooo - good one, Will. Glad it didn't involve swimming. :)

v/r
Gordon

Mike Kanze
December 1st 03, 06:39 PM
Having logged more than a few hours in the "Mississippi MiG" (T-2A & C)
during my VT-7 stash tour, I've long advocated that each dual-control tandem
seat aircraft be configured with an "I got it / You got it" switch.

Spring-loaded to the "You got it" position, of course. <g>

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

"I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back."

- Zsa Zsa Gabor

"nafod40" > wrote in message
> Pechs1 wrote:
> > elmshoot-<< The only three things a wingman should ever say are:
> >
> > 1. Two's up.
> > 2. Lead, you're on fire.
> > 3. I'll take the fat chick. >><BR><BR>
> >
> > What to never say to your RIO-
> >
> > 1)-what's that?
> >
> > 2)-watch this.
>
> True story. Positive change of controls, please.
>
> What you don't want to hear in your dual piloted Buckeye, passing 1500'
> 30 degrees nose down, 60 degrees AOB near the threshold for a SHB.
>
> "Hey Slick, are you flying or am I?"

nafod40
December 1st 03, 08:05 PM
Mike Kanze wrote:
> Having logged more than a few hours in the "Mississippi MiG" (T-2A & C)
> during my VT-7 stash tour, I've long advocated that each dual-control tandem
> seat aircraft be configured with an "I got it / You got it" switch.
>
> Spring-loaded to the "You got it" position, of course. <g>

We were rolling in hot on Goliad, following a OCF1 IUT hop. Absolutely
glassy day, not a burble to be found. Coming downhill *fast*. Ground's
just getting bigger. Should be rolling into the initial now...hmm. Looks
suspect. I'm in the back, take the elbows off the rails and take my
pinky, and gently prod the stick. The plane rolls ever so slowly.

The rest of the way home it was "oh my god...oh man that was close...oh %$#"

vincent p. norris
December 2nd 03, 01:23 AM
>(H)CDIM, TMP.COIC, _HFB_AR B/

I got out exactly 50 years and 4 months ago. Could you please
translate that for me?

Thanks. vince norris

nafod40
December 2nd 03, 01:42 PM
vincent p. norris wrote:
>>(H)CDIM, TMP.COIC, _HFB_AR B/
>

> I got out exactly 50 years and 4 months ago. Could you please
> translate that for me?
>
> Thanks. vince norris

I'm a little rusty here...

little high, coming down in the middle...too much power on come on in
close...*high fast flat at the ramp* bolter!!!!

In short, he displayed excessive (but healthy) fear of a low ball as he
fixed his high in the middle, and threw a couple more rpms in there for
mom and the kids, and might have had a rate of climb crossing the ramp.

Pechs1
December 6th 03, 02:56 PM
Gizmo-<< After the fourth night bolter, pilot says, "I don't think I can land
this
one. We're gonna have to step out of the jet." >><BR><BR>

And then.....????

What happened??

I generally didn't tell my RIO how fu....ked up I was...but he knew...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
December 6th 03, 02:58 PM
Bug Roach sometimes said 'LTJ', 'land the jet' when some gent was having
trouble getting aboard, when he was past the ramp, over the wires...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
December 6th 03, 03:01 PM
<< any other good Ike stories you can remember...? >><BR><BR>

Two F-4s get shot at the same time, Cat 1 and Cat 3/4...bridle slap on one
F-4(not uncommon), A/B ignites fuel coming outta centerline(still no big deal),
Airboss says, "F-4 off the cat, you are on fire, eject"...all 4 shell out...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Gordon
December 6th 03, 06:08 PM
>"F-4 off the cat, you are on fire, eject"...all 4 shell out..

I do so hate it when that happens.

Google