PDA

View Full Version : EVENT: San Diego, Sunday, December 7th

Gordon
December 5th 03, 11:20 PM
I don't know all the specifics (or even if this is open to the public) at this
point, but the Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park is hosting a WWII fighter ace
symposium this Sunday. Museum opens at 1000 - I believe the event takes place
in the morning. A number of Southern California Navy and Marine Corps fighter
aces will be in attendance. The SD Aerospace Museum website should have all
the details (sorry, too busy to do it myself at the moment!).

Names I noticed on the flyer were Captain Swede Vejtasa (father of Top Gun,
former Connie skipper, SBD & F4F ace), Bill Hardy (ace in a day), Hargreaves,
Strane, Diz Laird (Cleveland trophy winner, "last man standing" at many of the
reunions, etc), a nightfighter F6F guy I'm not familar with, and at least a
couple more First Team survivors.

Look for me - I'll be the tall goofy guy in the back of the crowd, wearing a
volunteer badge.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR Aircrew