PDA

View Full Version : Vertical and Short Takeoff / Landing Fighters

Aviation
January 5th 04, 02:14 AM
My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
wires.)

Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?

(Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
though.)

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

Thank you for your help.

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo piece of com

Michael Williamson
January 5th 04, 02:27 AM
Aviation wrote:
> My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
> in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
> ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
> F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
> thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
> wires.)
..
..
> Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
> assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
> to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
> Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

No- neither the F-14, F-15, or F-16 can land vertically,
although arresting gear can make the landing roll fairly short.

Mike

Thomas Schoene
January 5th 04, 02:34 AM
Aviation wrote:
> My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
> in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
> ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
> F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
> thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
> wires.)

No.

> Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
> few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
> it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?

That's not how it's ever done. An F-14 will hit a carrier deck at a
horizontal speed of around 120 knots (say 140 miles per hour). It will come
in at a steeper angle than a land plane, but still only a few degrees below
the horizontal.

> (Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
> though.)

Same answer.

> As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
> currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
> those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
> elsewhere?

Harrier is the only STOVL fixed-wing aircraft in US service. It's also used
by the British, Spanish, Italains, Indians, and Thai air forces and navies.
At the moment, it is the only vertical-landing fixed-wing aircraft in the
world.

> I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
> in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
> Marines and Royal Navy).
>
> Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
> assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
> to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
> Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

I can't imagine that anyone could confuse the X-35 with an F-14, but I
suppose anything is possible. They don't look at all alike.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Yofuri
January 5th 04, 04:28 AM
There's not a prayer of an F-14, -15 or -16 landing intact vertically. That
leaves the AV-8 and (sometimes) the V-22.

http://pma275.navair.navy.mil/

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

"Aviation" > wrote in message
u...
> My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
> in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
> ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
> F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
> thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
> wires.)
>
> Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
> few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
> it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?
>
> (Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
> though.)
>
> As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
> currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
> those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
> elsewhere?
>
> I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
> in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
> Marines and Royal Navy).
>
> Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
> assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
> to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
> Can an F-14 land safely vertically?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> --
> Sent by xanadoof from yahoo piece of com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

Dudhorse
January 5th 04, 05:18 AM
"Aviation" > wrote in message
u...
> My young nephew is convinced that the F-14 can land vertically, as
> in drop straight down and land. As far as I can tell, that just
> ain't so. From the right perspective, can it ever appear that an
> F-14 is 'hovering' and 'dropping down' onto a carrier deck? (I
> thought F-14 carrier landings would use tail hooks and arrestor
> wires.)
>
> Maybe a really skillful pilot can slow down and stall an F-14 a
> few feet off the ground and 'drop it' without destroying it making
> it LOOK like a VL in a movie or photograph?
>
> (Just in case, he might have meant F-15 or F-16: same question,
> though.)
>
> As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
> currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
> those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
> elsewhere?
>
> I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
> in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
> Marines and Royal Navy).
>
> Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
> assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
> to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
> Can an F-14 land safely vertically?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>

> ... just how old is your nephew?? Some toy manufacturers give their toys
"abilities" that are NOT real world.

robert arndt
January 5th 04, 07:02 AM
> > As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
> > currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
> > those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
> > elsewhere?
>
> Harrier is the only STOVL fixed-wing aircraft in US service. It's also used
> by the British, Spanish, Italains, Indians, and Thai air forces and navies.
> At the moment, it is the only vertical-landing fixed-wing aircraft in the
> world.
>

> > I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
> > in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
> > Marines and Royal Navy).

Interestingly enough, the Russian are still interested in a future
modernized version of their Yak 141 Freestyle, with stealth added...
whenever funding would permit. Photo of Yak-141:

http://www.bearcraft-online.com/museum/photos/b.89.0.jpg

I think only one survives in the Russian Aviation Museum.

> > Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
> > assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
> > to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
> > Can an F-14 land safely vertically?
>
> I can't imagine that anyone could confuse the X-35 with an F-14, but I
> suppose anything is possible. They don't look at all alike.

Suggestion: go out and buy your nephew a DVD on the X-32 and X-35
competition. I saw one recently at Costco. I'm sure you can find one
online. Either that or rent "Top Gun" @ Blockbuster!

Rob

John Carrier
January 5th 04, 01:18 PM
The F-14 is a conventional aircraft as far as landing is concerned.
Approach speeds vary with gross weight, but typically around 125-135 KIAS.

R / John

Krztalizer
January 5th 04, 08:49 PM
The only thing I can think of to explain the lad's comments are that he may
have seen some long focal length approach-to-landing video that shows a Turkey
coming in from nearly head on - from that view through a long enough lens, the
F-14 seems to practically hover, then slam onto the deck. Its just a trick of
the eye and the only way to confuse a Turkey with a VTOL a/c.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Google