PDA

View Full Version : Please read - virus alert (posted by Gordon)

Krztalizer
January 28th 04, 11:33 PM
from Gordon to RAM and RAMNaval:

Read up on MYDOOMA, because its a monster. This is one of those lay-dormant
worms that is scheduled to hit between Feb1 and Feb12. Apparently, it isnt
content to just send out copies of itself, it also can mimic your email address
when it sends itself from 3rd party computers. I started getting MAILER DAEMON
failed/rejected email notices two days ago, so I check my virus definitions and
ran system scans several times each day, without finding anything. I thought,
wot the hell..? Found out today that its not even my computer sending it out -
this virus takes your email address book and uses it to forge "From" lines!
Dastardly stuff. The fix is available through Sophos.com, a reputable online
virus scanning service that does not charge for the easy three-step fix. I am
going to put the http here, although I probably wouldn't trust the link if it
was sent from a stranger!

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/mydooma.html

Good luck, guys.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Google