PDA

View Full Version : Marine CH-53K Faces Multiyear Slide

AnimeFan188
April 1st 10, 11:52 PM
"The first flight of the U.S. Marine Corps’ heavy lifter CH-53K
helicopter has slipped two years to 2013, while its initial
operational capability (IOC) has slid three years to 2018, officials
have confirmed to AVIATION WEEK.

The date slips come as no surprise to the Marines and the CH-53K
program office at Naval Air Systems Command (Navair). In January 2009,
program manager Capt. Rick Muldoon submitted a Program Deviation
Report for the aircraft’s critical design review (CDR) to the Pentagon
acquisition headquarters. The CDR is now slated for September,
representing a year’s delay.

“The FY ’18 IOC was directly tied to the [FY ’11] presidential
budget,” Muldoon tells Aviation Week. The Marines had been hesitant to
reveal new program milestone dates until the budget was finalized. “I
needed to know the funding profile” prior to confirming a new plan for
the aircraft, Muldoon says. “We’re delivering to the current execution
schedule we laid in place, which ties in nicely to the FY ’18 IOC.”"

A 2-year slip in first flight date, and a 3-year slip in IOC?
I hope the CH-53K program doesn't get as messed up as
the JSF program is now.

Google