PDA

View Full Version : Re: Tail slat question

Guy Alcala
February 12th 04, 10:54 PM
Ed Rasimus wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:16:48 -0000, "Jim Doyle"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >Just a quick question - do any aircraft have slats installed on the leading
> >edge of the horizontal tailplane?
> >
> >Rather like slats would be used on the main wing section but - instead of
> >providing helpful lift - they're just to counter a very large pitching
> >moment on approach when wing-mounted high lift devices are deployed.
> >

> Can't comment on slats, which implys to me moveable. But, the F-4E at
> slots on the horizontal tailplane--fixed sections about two inches
> extended from the leading edge of the tailplane sections and running
> the entire length.
>
> The slotted slab was one of the mods necessary to compensate for the
> longer nose and forward weight addition of the gun. A #7 fuel cell was
> added in the tail cone to increase extreme aft weight and the fixed
> slots were added to the tail plane to provide increased aerodynamic
> downforce to counter the nose gun.

Ed, I tend to doubt the extra forward weight was responsible for the fixed
inverted slot (not slat) on the tail, as the navy's F-4J, with the short nose
and No.7 tank, also had it from the beginning, indeed before the F-4E entered
service. The F-4J also removed the inboard section of the LEFs and had drooped
ailerons, so that may have had something to do with it, but I'm cross-posting
this to r.a.m.n. to see if anyone over there knows why.

Guy

Pechs1
February 13th 04, 02:33 PM
Guy-<< The slotted slab was one of the mods necessary to compensate for the
> longer nose and forward weight addition of the gun. A #7 fuel cell was
> added in the tail cone to increase extreme aft weight and the fixed
> slots were added to the tail plane to provide increased aerodynamic
> downforce to counter the nose gun. >><BR><BR>

F-4J/S also had a slotted stab and tank 7-no gun tho..Hawg-10 was heavier than
the APQ-72 tho.

Inboard leading edge flaps were a maintenance nightmare. I think tank 7,
slotted stab, aileron droop, bolted up inboard LE flaps, all were running
changes to make the A/C better around the boat, as it got heavier.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Guy Alcala
February 14th 04, 08:56 AM
Pechs1 wrote:

> Guy-<< The slotted slab was one of the mods necessary to compensate for the
> > longer nose and forward weight addition of the gun. A #7 fuel cell was
> > added in the tail cone to increase extreme aft weight and the fixed
> > slots were added to the tail plane to provide increased aerodynamic
> > downforce to counter the nose gun. >><BR><BR>

That was Ed, actually. My comments followed his.

> F-4J/S also had a slotted stab and tank 7-no gun tho..Hawg-10 was heavier than
> the APQ-72 tho.
>
> Inboard leading edge flaps were a maintenance nightmare. I think tank 7,
> slotted stab, aileron droop, bolted up inboard LE flaps, all were running
> changes to make the A/C better around the boat, as it got heavier.
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye Phlyer

Thanks for the info.

Guy

Google