PDA

View Full Version : Navy F-18 crashes at Raleigh airport, By STEVE HARTSOE

Otis Willie
March 27th 04, 12:10 AM
Navy F-18 crashes at Raleigh airport, By STEVE HARTSOE

(EXCERPT) ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

MORRISVILLE, N.C. -- A Navy F-18 fighter jet caught fire on the runway
of the Raleigh-Durham airport during takeoff Friday, but the pilot
ejected, authorities said.

The pilot, whose identity was not immediately released, was in good
condition at a Raleigh hospital, airport spokeswoman Teresa Damiano
said. He was the only one on board; no one on the ground was injured.

Damiano said the plane had stopped to refuel. She said the pilot
described his plane as swerving and bursting into flames as it taxied
toward a takeoff runway. The pilot ejected before the plane left the
ground - about 1,700 feet down the 7,500-foot runway, she said.

The burning plane continued rolling before coming to a stop 500 feet
from the terminal.

News video showed the plane engulfed in flames, with thick black smoke
pouring out. Airport fire crews quickly...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 26 Mar 2004, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apwashington_story.asp?category=1152&slug=Military%20Crash

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com

Hawkeye Hughes
March 29th 04, 03:42 PM
This sounds a lot like a Hornet mishap from the '80s where a fuel
filler cap came loose from the centerline drop, causing massive inlet
fuel ingestion. As I recall, a set of pictures recording that accident
was published in Approach.

Hawkeye Hughes

Otis Willie > wrote in message >...
> Navy F-18 crashes at Raleigh airport, By STEVE HARTSOE
>
> (EXCERPT) ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER
>
> MORRISVILLE, N.C. -- A Navy F-18 fighter jet caught fire on the runway
> of the Raleigh-Durham airport during takeoff Friday, but the pilot
> ejected, authorities said.

Google