PDA

View Full Version : Beach officials charge Navy pilot with bigamy, By MATTHEW DOLAN , The Virginian-Pilot

Otis Willie
April 7th 04, 08:14 PM
Beach officials charge Navy pilot with bigamy, By MATTHEW DOLAN , The
Virginian-Pilot

(EXCERPT) © April 7, 2004 |
Last updated 10:19 PM Apr. 6

VIRGINIA BEACH — Did Lt. Cmdr. Karlis I. Burton commit a crime or make
an innocent mistake?

Earlier this year, the Navy investigated a claim that Burton, a
married man, had wed another woman illegally. His wife provided
evidence – two marriage certificates, hers and the other woman’s from
a Virginia Beach court record.

But Burton’s commanding officer passed on filing criminal charges.

“I went through the Navy first, but they didn’t take it seriously,”
said Nastashia Woodard-Burton, who married Burton in January 1998 in
Las Vegas and remains in a contested divorce proceeding. “That
infuriated me. I saw it as the Navy protecting its own.”

On Monday, Virginia Beach police did what the Navy wouldn...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 07 Apr 2004, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=68569&ran=101531

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian