PDA

View Full Version : Blues at Wings over Meridian

John Carrier
April 17th 04, 01:45 PM
First air show at NMM in a number of years with (of course) the Blues as the
main attraction. Schedule doesn't permit attendence on Sat/Sun but I
managed to take my granddaughters to the practice show Friday ... the three
year old LOVES airplanes.

Blues showed up with 5 jets, dash 3 was Med down and didn't make the trip
.... first time I've seen a med down cut into the show (and I've been
watching 'em since F-11 days). A 3-plane with dash 4 on the wing plus the
two solos.

I realize it's early in the season and 4 doesn't often fly wing, but they
were pretty bad (and they were pretty bad when they last performed here ...
then a team with "issues") and seemed to have several A/C problems. 2 lost
his smoke in the line-abreast loop and then rapidly dropped aft 1-200 feet,
stabilized there and completed the maneuver (rejoined well away from show
center ... I'd love to know what he was looking at and what Betty was
telling him as he neared the top of the loop). A couple more maneuvers in
which they just flew by vice performing the acro. Then only four jets in
the sky (I think it was 4 that actually landed). OBTW, the solo act lacked
crispness as well ... the simo tuckunder was done in loose cruise.

I've always felt a lot of sympathy for these guys. They're attracted to the
team for maybe the wrong reasons. Go through a rush process (that's a kick
to see the wannabees ... we're talking about senior Lt's or Lcdr's with
somewhere well north of 1500 hours tactical jet time ... showing up at the
shows as eager as college freshmen). When they get to El Centro, the new
guys find out what the Blue Angel experience is all about: darn hard work,
being the Navy's reps 24/7, not a lot of family time. The payoff is doing
something very few aviators get to do with a level of precision second to
none. That can be immensely gratifying. But the price they pay is high.
It takes a special breed to do what they do, and I'm not talking about the
air work.

R / John

Ogden Johnson III
April 18th 04, 03:39 AM
"John Carrier" > wrote:

>First air show at NMM in a number of years with (of course) the Blues as the

Potential Useless TLA caution!

WITH do you mean by NMM? If it is your own shorthand for NAS
Meridian, Mississippi, it really *is* a totally useless TLA,
since those of us who know Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station
that is b) located in Mississippi already knew what/where you
were talking about from the subject line. Any one who didn't
know that Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station that is b) located
in Mississippi, wouldn't be any further enlightened by the TLA
NMM.

Since I know you are too intelligent to do something like that,
please ease my mind and tell me WITH you meant by that NMM.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
April 18th 04, 05:21 AM
On 4/17/04 9:39 PM, in article ,
"Ogden Johnson III" > wrote:

> "John Carrier" > wrote:
>
>> First air show at NMM in a number of years with (of course) the Blues as the
>
> Potential Useless TLA caution!
>
> WITH do you mean by NMM? If it is your own shorthand for NAS
> Meridian, Mississippi, it really *is* a totally useless TLA,
> since those of us who know Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station
> that is b) located in Mississippi already knew what/where you
> were talking about from the subject line. Any one who didn't
> know that Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station that is b) located
> in Mississippi, wouldn't be any further enlightened by the TLA
> NMM.
>
> Since I know you are too intelligent to do something like that,
> please ease my mind and tell me WITH you meant by that NMM.

He's talking about NAS Meridian, OJ.

John Carrier
April 18th 04, 12:54 PM
Sorry. I thought most folks would infer it's the three letter identifier
for NAS Meridian.

Get back on those meds quickly, Ogden!

R / John

"Ogden Johnson III" > wrote in message
> "John Carrier" > wrote:
>
> >First air show at NMM in a number of years with (of course) the Blues as
the

> Potential Useless TLA caution!
>
> WITH do you mean by NMM? If it is your own shorthand for NAS
> Meridian, Mississippi, it really *is* a totally useless TLA,
> since those of us who know Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station
> that is b) located in Mississippi already knew what/where you
> were talking about from the subject line. Any one who didn't
> know that Meridian is a) a Naval Air Station that is b) located
> in Mississippi, wouldn't be any further enlightened by the TLA
> NMM.
>
> Since I know you are too intelligent to do something like that,
> please ease my mind and tell me WITH you meant by that NMM.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Pechs1
April 18th 04, 03:43 PM
John-<< Sorry. I thought most folks would infer it's the three letter
identifier
for NAS Meridian.

Get back on those meds quickly, Ogden! >><BR><BR>

No ****...did everybody know the ILS identifier at Pt Mugu as RR(for
Reagan)....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Ogden Johnson III
April 18th 04, 06:11 PM
"John Carrier" > wrote:

>Sorry. I thought most folks would infer it's the three letter identifier
>for NAS Meridian.
>
>Get back on those meds quickly, Ogden!

My bust. I forgot that having a copy of the Enroute Supplement
ready to hand was a requirement for reading in r.a.m.n. Alas,
IANAP so I never get the civilian equivalent and the one I
"borrowed" when I retired in 198mumble has long since fallen
apart and met its fate in the analog bit-bucket. Anyone got a
link to the FAA, or whomever, page that has those identifiers
handy?

[I know, I know, google for it. Just testing.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Frijoles
April 18th 04, 08:55 PM
Well stated shipmate. A member of my squadron was selected for the Blues
back in the late 80s. I ran into him in Pensacola between seasons after he
had done one year of the routine. I'll never forget the conversation nor
the telling comment - "I just want to get out of this alive...". It is a
tough life in many different ways -- he felt like he was living an alternate
reality where his life was not his own. A few years removed from it, he
said he would do it again only if he were single simply because of the time
away.

The general public doesn't have much insight into the demands of the job.
They're generally captured by the 'notional' flying skills of the
participants. But, to me, emerging from the experience with ones
perspective intact takes alotta character.

"John Carrier" > wrote in message
> First air show at NMM in a number of years with (of course) the Blues as
the
> main attraction. Schedule doesn't permit attendence on Sat/Sun but I
> managed to take my granddaughters to the practice show Friday ... the
three
> year old LOVES airplanes.
>
> Blues showed up with 5 jets, dash 3 was Med down and didn't make the trip
> ... first time I've seen a med down cut into the show (and I've been
> watching 'em since F-11 days). A 3-plane with dash 4 on the wing plus the
> two solos.
>
> I realize it's early in the season and 4 doesn't often fly wing, but they
> were pretty bad (and they were pretty bad when they last performed here
> then a team with "issues") and seemed to have several A/C problems. 2
lost
> his smoke in the line-abreast loop and then rapidly dropped aft 1-200
feet,
> stabilized there and completed the maneuver (rejoined well away from show
> center ... I'd love to know what he was looking at and what Betty was
> telling him as he neared the top of the loop). A couple more maneuvers in
> which they just flew by vice performing the acro. Then only four jets in
> the sky (I think it was 4 that actually landed). OBTW, the solo act
lacked
> crispness as well ... the simo tuckunder was done in loose cruise.
>
> I've always felt a lot of sympathy for these guys. They're attracted to
the
> team for maybe the wrong reasons. Go through a rush process (that's a
kick
> to see the wannabees ... we're talking about senior Lt's or Lcdr's with
> somewhere well north of 1500 hours tactical jet time ... showing up at the
> shows as eager as college freshmen). When they get to El Centro, the new
> guys find out what the Blue Angel experience is all about: darn hard
work,
> being the Navy's reps 24/7, not a lot of family time. The payoff is doing
> something very few aviators get to do with a level of precision second to
> none. That can be immensely gratifying. But the price they pay is high.
> It takes a special breed to do what they do, and I'm not talking about the
> air work.
>
> R / John

nafod40
April 19th 04, 04:32 PM
Frijoles wrote:
> Well stated shipmate. A member of my squadron was selected for the Blues
> back in the late 80s. I ran into him in Pensacola between seasons after he
> had done one year of the routine. I'll never forget the conversation nor
> the telling comment - "I just want to get out of this alive...". It is a
> tough life in many different ways -- he felt like he was living an alternate
> reality where his life was not his own. A few years removed from it, he
> said he would do it again only if he were single simply because of the time
> away.

"Jungle" Jim Ross did it twice, no?

Dudley Henriques
April 20th 04, 09:55 PM
I've known many of the Blues personally all the back to Bob Aumack, and
I totally agree with you and John C on this issue. Many people have
absolutely no idea how "complicated" it gets with your life when
accepted for the acro teams. The Blues aren't alone with this. The
Thunderbirds, and the rest of the world's teams all seem to have the
same feelings about it when cornered and nailed down to some serious
talk. (usually accompanied by some serious libation :-)
Most of the guys I know say they would do it again, but many talk of the
high stress involved with the daily grind away from the airplanes as
being almost crippling to your good nature. I know of more than one
marriage that went south because of the related family stress . It's
really hard on the families even though the girls try and hang in most
of the time. The Thunderbirds at one time even formed a support group
for their wives called the "Thunderbrides". I'm not sure if it's still
in operation.
The mission is a tough one, and it's really a full time job, and I mean
24 hours a day when I say that. The stress of being "on camera" and "out
front" all the time in front of the public is HUGE. Even on the road the
guys don't get a moment's peace. In fact, many of the pilots I know
would tell you in a second that flying the show was the EASY part of a
Blues tour! :-)
I've been away from it for a while now, and I'm saddened by what the old
pilots are telling me about what's going on now within the teams.
Without getting into a lot of detail I wouldn't discuss in public, it
just doesn't seem to be the same as it used to be. I hope it gets
better.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt
"Frijoles" > wrote in message
link.net...
> [...]

> kick
> > to see the wannabees ... we're talking about senior Lt's or Lcdr's
with
> > somewhere well north of 1500 hours tactical jet time ... showing up
at the
> > shows as eager as college freshmen). When they get to El Centro,
the new
> > guys find out what the Blue Angel experience is all about: darn
hard
> work,
> > being the Navy's reps 24/7, not a lot of family time. The payoff is
doing
> > something very few aviators get to do with a level of precision
second to
> > none. That can be immensely gratifying. But the price they pay is
high.
> > It takes a special breed to do what they do, and I'm not talking

Bob McKellar
April 20th 04, 10:55 PM
Dudley Henriques wrote:

> [...]
> > kick
> > > to see the wannabees ... we're talking about senior Lt's or Lcdr's
> with
> > > somewhere well north of 1500 hours tactical jet time ... showing up
> at the
> > > shows as eager as college freshmen). When they get to El Centro,
> the new
> > > guys find out what the Blue Angel experience is all about: darn
> hard
> > work,
> > > being the Navy's reps 24/7, not a lot of family time. The payoff is
> doing
> > > something very few aviators get to do with a level of precision
> second to
> > > none. That can be immensely gratifying. But the price they pay is
> high.
> > > It takes a special breed to do what they do, and I'm not talking

Well, I hope they get their act together before this weekend. I'm planning
on seeing the MCAS Beaufort show.

Bob McKellar

Pechs1
April 21st 04, 02:21 PM
Happy to say I had two pilots rush the Blues when I was CO of VF-126, and one
was selected(like to think my endorsement meant somethin'....)...'Hoops'
Stewart...He said it was far tougher than 'dark nights and pitching decks',
when on cruise inna F-14...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Google