PDA

View Full Version : British carrier aircraft

R4tm4ster
April 30th 04, 08:11 AM
Does anyone out there have any infomation about wing folding on naval aircraft?
especially post war British aircraft eg: Wyvern, Gannet, SeaHawk. I have
several good photos of these planes wings up and down but I need some detail of
the linkages , and the mechanics of how the fold is actuated.
Any drawings, plans, hand drawn sketches, or addresses of places where this
info is held would be real nice and appreciated.
Thanks

M. J. Powell
April 30th 04, 12:30 PM
In message >, R4tm4ster
> writes
>Does anyone out there have any infomation about wing folding on naval aircraft?
>especially post war British aircraft eg: Wyvern, Gannet, SeaHawk. I have
>several good photos of these planes wings up and down but I need some detail of
>the linkages , and the mechanics of how the fold is actuated.
>Any drawings, plans, hand drawn sketches, or addresses of places where this
>info is held would be real nice and appreciated.

I've haven't any info that you want, but when I was stationed at RAE
Farnborough in the 50's I used to watch the gannets start their take-off
run with their wings still folded. Amazing.

Mike

Peter Twydell
May 1st 04, 08:17 AM
In article >, M. J. Powell
> writes
>In message >, R4tm4ster
> writes
>>Does anyone out there have any infomation about wing folding on naval aircraft?
>>especially post war British aircraft eg: Wyvern, Gannet, SeaHawk. I have
>>several good photos of these planes wings up and down but I need some detail of
>>the linkages , and the mechanics of how the fold is actuated.
>>Any drawings, plans, hand drawn sketches, or addresses of places where this
>>info is held would be real nice and appreciated.
>
>I've haven't any info that you want, but when I was stationed at RAE
>Farnborough in the 50's I used to watch the gannets start their take-off
>run with their wings still folded. Amazing.
>
>Mike

Like an ornithopter? Did the method generate extra lift? :-)

It was always weird watching a Gannet fly with one prop stopped - it
looked as if there was no propulsion at all.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Google