PDA

View Full Version : MK IV yaw string installation ....

Ron Gleason
June 6th 10, 03:25 PM
Tried to send an email to Bumper to get instructions for the MK IV yaw
string installation. The email address on the package and what I have
by searching RAS bounces.

Anyone have the instructions or a valid email address for Bumper?

Thanks in advance

sisu1a
June 6th 10, 03:59 PM
> Anyone have the instructions or a valid email address for Bumper?
>
> Thanks in advance

his new email address:

I have a copy somewhere I could scan/send, but it's kinda long
winded...

It just tells you to make a paper template of the V shape and use that
to locate the string before sticking it on. I drew a centerline on my
V template to help with alignment. He also recommends using a piece of
string or yarn going from tip of nose to center tip of tail to
establish the actual centerline down the canopy (look at string from
front first, adjust as necessary) so you get it on centered. Carefully
tape template on center at desired fore/aft position and then install
yawstring.

-Paul

Gary Osoba[_3_]
June 6th 10, 04:26 PM
On Jun 6, 7:25*am, Ron Gleason > wrote:
> Tried to send an email to Bumper to get instructions for the MK IV yaw
> string installation. *The email address on the package and what I have
> by searching RAS bounces.
>
> Anyone have the instructions or a valid email address for Bumper?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Ron:

How goes it? I haven't had time to peruse ras for awhile but have
spend much of the weekend recuperating from a nasty biking accident.
Re yaw strings and slipping turns, here's a useful old thread from
this newsgroup, focus on about message 26 onward:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.aviation.soaring/browse_thread/thread/4c3cae7f8d9f04b4/42f50eabfd12149f?q=yaw+string+&lnk=nl&

Best Regards & Hello to Elsa,

Gary Osoba

Warren
June 6th 10, 04:32 PM
Ron,

John and I just traded a few emails. His address is

Warren

Ron Gleason
June 6th 10, 11:23 PM
On Jun 6, 9:32*am, Warren > wrote:
> Ron,
>
> John and I just traded a few emails. His address is
>

> Warren

Thanks to all. I have the instructions and bumpers new email address

ContestID67[_2_]
June 6th 10, 11:58 PM
Gentlemen,

Email addresses posted in network news groups are often obfuscated so
that network idiots don't pick them up and flood you with spam. I
read RAS via Google which does this to all the email addresses (and
something similar to web site addresses).

The end result is that the email address you mention above for Bumper
is impossible to use.

The alternative is to use something like "john<at>yahoo.com" -
hopefully it is obvious to substitute the "<at>" with an "@" sign to
get a legitimate email address.

Thanks! John

bumper[_3_]
June 7th 10, 03:27 AM
Sorry for the confusion with email addresses. Looks like it's going to
happen again, as Verizon is dumping customers in some states
(including NV). Next time I think I'll use an address not tied to an
ISP.

For now, though, it's still bumperm at verizon dot com

Not to worried about bots or idiots picking that up as it's only good
for another month or two. I'll post the new address here, as well as
sending an email to my contact list.

Yup, the installation instructions a bit long, one full page . . . I
have a free replacement policy even if you goof on the install, so I
want to make sure you don't (g).

all the best and thank you for being my customers,

bumper
zz
Minden

Eric Greenwell
June 7th 10, 04:02 AM
On 6/6/2010 7:27 PM, bumper wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion with email addresses. Looks like it's going to
> happen again, as Verizon is dumping customers in some states
> (including NV). Next time I think I'll use an address not tied to an
> ISP.
>
> For now, though, it's still bumperm at verizon dot com

It's really bumperm at verizon dot NET. Since he is a recent Verizon
customer, we'll forgive him; unfortunately, Verizon is going to dump him
as a customer before he has a chance to remember it! They are dumping
me, too, so I'm also looking for a permanent, non-ISP related email
address. And, as long as I have change email addresses, I might as well
look at other ISPs, and not just accept the one Verizon is selling us to
(Frontier.com).

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

ZZ
June 7th 10, 06:46 AM
You don't need Bumper to install the Mark IV...anyone can do it.

Simlpy drill a 1/2 inch hole in your canopy and place a 1/2 diameter
stove bolt in the hole. These are available on the aviation aisle at
Home Depot. Put a nylok type nut on it ...leave it loose for now. Wrap
the Mark IV around the bolt several times and secure it with a standard
stevadore's Fernortner Hitch. Now carefully torque the stove bolt to
4500 Foot Pounds. Don't over torque. Finally, mix up a batch of Shell
Epon 925 aviation epoxy and drizzle this goo on the bolt. Don't get the
epoxy on the string. If you do epoxy the string make sure it is lined up
on the longitudinal axis...you will feel a whole lot better about your
flying. Next place 4 pounds of lead in the tail to re-balance the
glider. Now get your log book out and log the install. Don't forget to
have the glider re-weighed to verify proper balance.

That's it. See, it's easy and I am sure that Bumper would approve of
this procedure.

Paul
ZZ

On 6/6/2010 7:25 AM, Ron Gleason wrote:
> Tried to send an email to Bumper to get instructions for the MK IV yaw
> string installation. The email address on the package and what I have
> by searching RAS bounces.
>
> Anyone have the instructions or a valid email address for Bumper?
>
> Thanks in advance

bumper[_3_]
June 7th 10, 09:33 AM
On Jun 6, 10:46*pm, ZZ > wrote:
> You don't need Bumper to install the Mark IV...anyone can do it.
>
> Simlpy drill a 1/2 inch hole in your canopy and place a 1/2 diameter
> stove bolt in the hole. These are available on the aviation aisle at
> Home Depot. Put a nylok type nut on it ...leave it loose for now. Wrap
> the Mark IV around the bolt several times and secure it with a standard
> stevadore's Fernortner Hitch. Now carefully torque the stove bolt to
> 4500 Foot Pounds. Don't over torque. Finally, mix up a batch of Shell
> Epon 925 aviation epoxy and drizzle this goo on the bolt. Don't get the
> epoxy on the string. If you do epoxy the string make sure it is lined up
> on the longitudinal axis...you will feel a whole lot better about your
> flying. Next place 4 pounds of lead in the tail to re-balance the
> glider. Now get your log book out and log the install. Don't forget to
> have the glider re-weighed to verify proper balance.
>
> That's it. See, it's easy and I am sure that Bumper would approve of
> this procedure.
>
> Paul
> ZZ

By posting your free DIY instructions for your heavy duty yaw string,
you've likey desimated 12 years of development and labor that's gone
into the, relatively speaking, delicate and frangible MKIV. How am I
supposed to compete with that? BTW, you forgot to mention your yaw
string mounting bolt should easily accept a Tost hook.This will
quickly become the accepted and preferred tow hook position for all
gliders as the pilot can easily sight right down the tow line to
positively, absolutely stay in position behind the tow plane. And if
the tuggie feeds you the rope 'cause he doesn't approve, "What the
heck!" it's just another big, very well damped, yaw string streaming
back.

bumper
bumperm at verizon dot net (thanks Eric)

ZZ
June 8th 10, 04:40 AM
On 6/7/2010 1:33 AM, bumper wrote:
> On Jun 6, 10:46 pm, > wrote:
>> You don't need Bumper to install the Mark IV...anyone can do it.
>>
>> Simlpy drill a 1/2 inch hole in your canopy and place a 1/2 diameter
>> stove bolt in the hole. These are available on the aviation aisle at
>> Home Depot. Put a nylok type nut on it ...leave it loose for now. Wrap
>> the Mark IV around the bolt several times and secure it with a standard
>> stevadore's Fernortner Hitch. Now carefully torque the stove bolt to
>> 4500 Foot Pounds. Don't over torque. Finally, mix up a batch of Shell
>> Epon 925 aviation epoxy and drizzle this goo on the bolt. Don't get the
>> epoxy on the string. If you do epoxy the string make sure it is lined up
>> on the longitudinal axis...you will feel a whole lot better about your
>> flying. Next place 4 pounds of lead in the tail to re-balance the
>> glider. Now get your log book out and log the install. Don't forget to
>> have the glider re-weighed to verify proper balance.
>>
>> That's it. See, it's easy and I am sure that Bumper would approve of
>> this procedure.
>>
>> Paul
>> ZZ
>
> By posting your free DIY instructions for your heavy duty yaw string,
> you've likey desimated 12 years of development and labor that's gone
> into the, relatively speaking, delicate and frangible MKIV. How am I
> supposed to compete with that? BTW, you forgot to mention your yaw
> string mounting bolt should easily accept a Tost hook.This will
> quickly become the accepted and preferred tow hook position for all
> gliders as the pilot can easily sight right down the tow line to
> positively, absolutely stay in position behind the tow plane. And if
> the tuggie feeds you the rope 'cause he doesn't approve, "What the
> heck!" it's just another big, very well damped, yaw string streaming
> back.
>
> bumper
> bumperm at verizon dot net (thanks Eric)

Bumper
Ah yes, I look forward to the seemingly annual Mark IV Yaw String
thread. I also look forward to your Mark V upgrade...I am sure it will
be a hit. I suggest an electronic version...perhaps with several hard
drives which would require additional batteries of course. Maybe include
a digital HD readout. Also don't forget a transmitter so we can follow
your turn coordination online. Hmmm then if you upload to the OLC in
real time, you could.....

Paul
ZZ

WAVEGURU
December 26th 12, 06:26 PM
I am looking forward to the MK V digital audio yaw string. I hope we can select what annoying sound to hear when we are not coordinated.

Boggs

Ralph Jones[_3_]
December 26th 12, 07:49 PM
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:26:07 -0800 (PST), Waveguru
> wrote:

>I am looking forward to the MK V digital audio yaw string. I hope we can select what annoying sound to hear when we are not coordinated.

Great! Now I won't have to import metric yarn for my German ship any
more.

rj

RAS56
December 26th 12, 09:03 PM
On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:26:07 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
> I am looking forward to the MK V digital audio yaw string. I hope we can select what annoying sound to hear when we are not coordinated.
>

> Boggs

Have you heard the rumor the digital version will have an output for driving an artificial horizon?...Also, the planned Mark VI upgrade will be an IR sensor suite for thermal location assistance. (The Mark V will have to be shipped back to the factory for this upgrade.)

Might not want the rules committee to hear about some of this stuff...

Mark IV plank owner...

bumper[_4_]
December 27th 12, 07:52 AM
On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:03:43 PM UTC-8, RAS56 wrote:

> Have you heard the rumor the digital version will have an output for driving an artificial horizon?...Also, the planned Mark VI upgrade will be an IR sensor suite for thermal location assistance. (The Mark V will have to be shipped back to the factory for this upgrade.)
>

> Might not want the rules committee to hear about some of this stuff...
>

> Mark IV plank owner...

Typically, when people hear a new version is forthcoming they'll delay their purchase to wait for the new one. Thus sales plummet and the struggling company is unable to fund R&D needed to bring the new version to market - - then they go bankrupt.

I want to assure all that when the new MKVI* electronic, with IR thermal sensing, PowerFlarm anti-collision interface, and Micro-Mems solid state horizon (those contest rules guys won't even notice the micro-miniature OLED display without using a 10X jeweler's loupe) is available, MKIV customers will be able to trade in there analog MKIV for a new MKVI at no charge - - FREE! (Just pay shipping and handling of 30 AMU's.)

*Not all MKVI features will be functional upon initial release. We are concentrating all our efforts on getting the yarn to reliably indicate yaw prior to working on other promised features.

bumper

Peter von Tresckow
December 27th 12, 03:37 PM
bumper > wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:03:43 PM UTC-8, RAS56 wrote:
>

>> Have you heard the rumor the digital version will have an output for
>> driving an artificial horizon?...Also, the planned Mark VI upgrade will
>> be an IR sensor suite for thermal location assistance. (The Mark V will
>> have to be shipped back to the factory for this upgrade.)
>>

>> Might not want the rules committee to hear about some of this stuff...
>>

>> Mark IV plank owner...
>

> Typically, when people hear a new version is forthcoming they'll delay
> their purchase to wait for the new one. Thus sales plummet and the
> struggling company is unable to fund R&D needed to bring the new version
> to market - - then they go bankrupt.
>
> I want to assure all that when the new MKVI* electronic, with IR thermal
> sensing, PowerFlarm anti-collision interface, and Micro-Mems solid state
> horizon (those contest rules guys won't even notice the micro-miniature
> OLED display without using a 10X jeweler's loupe) is available, MKIV
> customers will be able to trade in there analog MKIV for a new MKVI at no
> charge - - FREE! (Just pay shipping and handling of 30 AMU's.)
>
> *Not all MKVI features will be functional upon initial release. We are
> concentrating all our efforts on getting the yarn to reliably indicate
> yaw prior to working on other promised features.
>
> bumper

Have you considered offering custom fiber options for the yarn? Hemp
offerings may become more popular in CO and WA in the near future :-D

Pete (owner of a MkIV)

December 27th 12, 07:08 PM
I just received my Mark IV for Christmas. I appreciate the detailed instructions. Should I use any type of specialized instrument to trim the length of the yaw indicating natural fiber unit?

XF

bumper[_4_]
December 29th 12, 04:09 AM
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:08:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
> I just received my Mark IV for Christmas. I appreciate the detailed instructions. Should I use any type of specialized instrument to trim the length of the yaw indicating natural fiber unit?
>

> XF

MKIV's are made with a long yarn so the owner can trim it to the preferred length. No specialized instrument is required, though chewing through the yarn makes for a ragged end.

Early MKI's were mostly trimmed using a sharp flake chipped of a handy flint rock. We've come a ways and now a pair of scissors is the suggested device. However, lasers, meat cleavors, shaped charges, or any of a number of other devices might be pressed into service. Use your imagination.

Don't forget to re-knot the end.

bumper

RAS56
December 29th 12, 04:41 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPFPaDPNx5w

Bumper,

My Mark IV worked incredibly well all last season, as you can tell in the above shamelessly plugged video. I'm sure you'll be wanting to use some of the footage for your pending NCAA College Football Nat'l Championship, Super Bowl, or Soccer World Cup ad campaigns.

On another note, at some point you will need a corporate pilot to fly your yaw string company's King Air around, please advise when the application window is open! OR,...if there is flight testing needed on the proposed Mark V's and VI's...I'm your guy! The current gig/cubicle I'm flying...is getting stale, and the flight test excuse may be the "raison d' etre" that surmounts the signifcant other's resistance towards getting a self-launcher that anyone else can plainly see is urgently needed.

ZAP

Kelvyn Flavall
December 29th 12, 07:04 AM
On Friday, December 28, 2012 8:09:40 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
> On Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:08:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
>
> > I just received my Mark IV for Christmas. I appreciate the detailed instructions. Should I use any type of specialized instrument to trim the length of the yaw indicating natural fiber unit?
>

> > XF
>
> MKIV's are made with a long yarn so the owner can trim it to the preferred length. No specialized instrument is required, though chewing through the yarn makes for a ragged end.
>
> Early MKI's were mostly trimmed using a sharp flake chipped of a handy flint rock. We've come a ways and now a pair of scissors is the suggested device. However, lasers, meat cleavors, shaped charges, or any of a number of other devices might be pressed into service. Use your imagination.
>
> Don't forget to re-knot the end.
>
> bumper
Bumper, can you confirm your PM again please. I tried the ones earlier in this thread but they were bounced by verizon. It looks like it's been a couple of years since you added your contact details in.

Kelvyn

bumper[_4_]
December 30th 12, 04:23 AM
On Friday, December 28, 2012 11:04:38 PM UTC-8, Kelvyn Flavall wrote:

> Bumper, can you confirm your PM again please. I tried the ones earlier in this thread but they were bounced by verizon. It looks like it's been a couple of years since you added your contact details in.
>

> Kelvyn

Certainly, it's bumperm "at symbol" frontier "period" com

MKIV's and Quiet Vent kits are also carried by Cumulus Soaring, Williams Soaring, and SoaringNV. First two sell on-line.

happy soaring!

bumper

December 30th 12, 03:15 PM
On Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:23:43 PM UTC-6, bumper wrote:
> On Friday, December 28, 2012 11:04:38 PM UTC-8, Kelvyn Flavall wrote:
>

> > Bumper, can you confirm your PM again please. I tried the ones earlier in this thread but they were bounced by verizon. It looks like it's been a couple of years since you added your contact details in.
>

> > Kelvyn
>

> Certainly, it's bumperm "at symbol" frontier "period" com
>

> MKIV's and Quiet Vent kits are also carried by Cumulus Soaring, Williams Soaring, and SoaringNV. First two sell on-line.
>

> happy soaring!
>

> bumper

Not sure how Bumper maintains his high-roller lifestyle on the sale of his excellent products - they just last too long! I still have a reserve string in my flight bag with the original on the canopy now for about 3 years! To celebrate the beginning of another exiting year of soaring I yesterday 're-painted' my old original-yellow string with a yellow highlighter, it came out beautifully. All other components are still in great shape. Hoping this great American product never gets outsourced!
Happy New Year!

Herb

December 30th 12, 05:51 PM
> > MKIV's and Quiet Vent kits are also carried by Cumulus Soaring, Williams Soaring, and SoaringNV. First two sell on-line.
>

> > happy soaring!
>

> > bumper
>

> Not sure how Bumper maintains his high-roller lifestyle on the sale of his excellent products - they just last too long! I still have a reserve string in my flight bag with the original on the canopy now for about 3 years! To celebrate the beginning of another exiting year of soaring I yesterday 're-painted' my old original-yellow string with a yellow highlighter, it came out beautifully. All other components are still in great shape. Hoping this great American product never gets outsourced!
>
> Happy New Year!
>

> Herb

I just sent Bumper a stash of Green yarn to fight the out sourcing issue.

ZEN

bumper[_4_]
December 30th 12, 10:05 PM
On Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:15:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:

. . . yesterday 're-painted' my old original-yellow string with a yellow highlighter, it came out beautifully. All other components are still in great shape. Hoping this great American product never gets outsourced!

> Happy New Year!
>

> Herb

Herb,

It's inventive customers like you that'll keep me broke. You are NOT supposed to use a felt tip to dye your old MK(whatever #) yaw string to make it look pretty again. The yarn I use is carefully selected to fade after a few years so you will hopefully order a new one . . . sheesh!

bumper

Google