PDA

View Full Version : Newest Aircraft Carrier

Evan Williams
June 2nd 04, 08:59 PM
I came across this and it was to good to pass up. This is the new Kerry
Class CV

http://www.rock103.com/crew/pics/

Mike Kanze
June 2nd 04, 10:50 PM
Evan,

I'd be very careful about tagging a noble barge with the "Kerry" name. Tug
and barge personnel are hardly pussies and you wouldn't want to get on the
wrong side of any of them. But if you were to take an old LST-cum-barracks
ship, convert it to a floating whorehouse and name it after the junior
Senator from NY you might get agreement from some in this NG.

The real story behind this photo:

About two years ago, the Aircraft Carrier Hornet Foundation (ACHF) acquired
a high-time (read: the airframe is shot) F-14A for its growing collection
of vintage and not-so-vintage aircraft. A suitable bird from the VF-41
Black Aces was identified and gussied up really nice by the squadron's
maintenance folks. A Black Aces crew flew it from NAS Oceana to SFO airport
and taxied it over to the USCG Air Station. Once shut down and secured,
they boogied for the fleshpots of the Special City, this being a weekend
"training event."

The CG graciously provided military security while the bird was defueled,
decontaminated and demilitarized over the course of the next several weeks.
ACHF folks then engaged a local rigger and barge to move the bird across the
bay to HORNET which is berthed at the former NAS Alameda, where she was
swung aboard and now graces a portion of the hangar deck.

The photo depicts the cross-bay move.

--
Mike Kanze

"Anything that screws its way into the sky flies according to unnatural
principles."

- Unknown pilot, speaking of helicopters

"Evan Williams" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I came across this and it was to good to pass up. This is the new Kerry
> Class CV
>
> http://www.rock103.com/crew/pics/

Evan Williams
June 5th 04, 01:00 PM
I had thought that it was in the process of being craned onto or off of a
carrier. It's nice to know the whole story behind it. As for the barge
personnel, you are right there. I grew up on the Mississippi, but it has
been about twenty years since I have been home. I guess I forgot how tough
they could be.

"Mike Kanze" > wrote in message
> Evan,
>
> I'd be very careful about tagging a noble barge with the "Kerry" name.
Tug
> and barge personnel are hardly pussies and you wouldn't want to get on the
> wrong side of any of them. But if you were to take an old
LST-cum-barracks
> ship, convert it to a floating whorehouse and name it after the junior
> Senator from NY you might get agreement from some in this NG.
>
> The real story behind this photo:
>
> About two years ago, the Aircraft Carrier Hornet Foundation (ACHF)
acquired
> a high-time (read: the airframe is shot) F-14A for its growing collection
> of vintage and not-so-vintage aircraft. A suitable bird from the VF-41
> Black Aces was identified and gussied up really nice by the squadron's
> maintenance folks. A Black Aces crew flew it from NAS Oceana to SFO
airport
> and taxied it over to the USCG Air Station. Once shut down and secured,
> they boogied for the fleshpots of the Special City, this being a weekend
> "training event."
>
> The CG graciously provided military security while the bird was defueled,
> decontaminated and demilitarized over the course of the next several
weeks.
> ACHF folks then engaged a local rigger and barge to move the bird across
the
> bay to HORNET which is berthed at the former NAS Alameda, where she was
> swung aboard and now graces a portion of the hangar deck.
>
> The photo depicts the cross-bay move.
>
> --
> Mike Kanze
>
> "Anything that screws its way into the sky flies according to unnatural
> principles."
>
> - Unknown pilot, speaking of helicopters
>

> "Evan Williams" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > I came across this and it was to good to pass up. This is the new Kerry
> > Class CV
> >
> > http://www.rock103.com/crew/pics/

Google