PDA

View Full Version : VFA-201 Gets Whacked By Mother Nature

sameolesid
June 4th 04, 09:16 AM
On Wednesday the Weather Channel was carrying some footage of the
storm damage in the Forth Worth area and showed a hangar with its
doors blown in revealing debris covered F-18's...Any comments Woody?

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
June 4th 04, 11:18 AM
On 6/4/04 3:16 AM, in article
, "sameolesid"
> wrote:

> On Wednesday the Weather Channel was carrying some footage of the
> storm damage in the Forth Worth area and showed a hangar with its
> doors blown in revealing debris covered F-18's...Any comments Woody?

I'll let you know after I go in today. I've been away from the squadron
since Tuesday. The weather hit that evening.

I know these things:

1. My cohorts on the telephone never mentioned any Hunter jets getting
whacked.

2. The squadron's been executing a full flight schedule all week.

Our guys are pretty good about getting the jets into the hangars when these
things pop up, and the storm was so sizeable that it would have been easy to
be ready for in advance.

Could have been VMFA-112's jets you saw on the Weather Channel too. I dunno
for sure.

I'll say this: It was a helluva storm that night! I've never seen
continuous lightening before (about 20 minutes of what was like standing in
a strobe light). I had the family in the interior of the house, and we were
on battery power only for about 4-5 hours--tornado sirens sounding outside.
The winds were fierce enough to push around a 727 and an MD-80 at Meacham
too (not to mention trash a few Cessnas).

--Woody

MOUSSECLRK
June 6th 04, 03:49 AM
Squadron had no aircraft damaged by the storm. We did have a visiting Prowler
"whacked" by a hangar door and Hunter 206 was literally 2 feet from being
pancaked by a hangar door.

Believe the footage you may have seen was a Cowboy jet.

Mousse...out.

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
June 7th 04, 02:33 AM
On 6/5/04 9:49 PM, in article ,
"MOUSSECLRK" > wrote:

> Squadron had no aircraft damaged by the storm. We did have a visiting Prowler
> "whacked" by a hangar door and Hunter 206 was literally 2 feet from being
> pancaked by a hangar door.
>
> Believe the footage you may have seen was a Cowboy jet.
>
> Mousse...out.

I can always count on Mousse for the facts. Thanks pard. Just like he
said... No damaged Hunter jets.

Here are the others: Two C-130's tilted in the wind damaging wing tips and
a static display A-4 blown up against a fence on its nose.

--Woody

Allen Epps
June 7th 04, 02:48 PM
In article >, MOUSSECLRK
> wrote:

> Squadron had no aircraft damaged by the storm. We did have a visiting Prowler
> "whacked" by a hangar door and Hunter 206 was literally 2 feet from being
> pancaked by a hangar door.
>
> Believe the footage you may have seen was a Cowboy jet.
>
> Mousse...out.

Who owned the Prowler?

Pugs

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
June 7th 04, 10:01 PM
On 6/7/04 8:48 AM, in article ,
"Allen Epps" > wrote:

> In article >, MOUSSECLRK
> > wrote:
>
>> Squadron had no aircraft damaged by the storm. We did have a visiting
>> Prowler
>> "whacked" by a hangar door and Hunter 206 was literally 2 feet from being
>> pancaked by a hangar door.
>>
>> Believe the footage you may have seen was a Cowboy jet.
>>
>> Mousse...out.
>
> Who owned the Prowler?
>
> Pugs

VAQ-133.

Allen Epps
June 8th 04, 12:23 PM
In article >, Doug \"Woody\" and
Erin Beal > wrote:

> On 6/7/04 8:48 AM, in article ,
> "Allen Epps" > wrote:
>
> > In article >, MOUSSECLRK
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Squadron had no aircraft damaged by the storm. We did have a visiting
> >> Prowler
> >> "whacked" by a hangar door and Hunter 206 was literally 2 feet from being
> >> pancaked by a hangar door.
> >>
> >> Believe the footage you may have seen was a Cowboy jet.
> >>
> >> Mousse...out.
> >
> > Who owned the Prowler?
> >
> > Pugs
>
> VAQ-133.